Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 146

Thread: Premier running back would return Steelers to championship level

  1. #31
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Say no to Etienne early.

    I watch a lot of Clemson. The guy is explosive but falls down if someone sneezes loud enough. No thanks.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

  2. #32
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Say no to Etienne early.

    I watch a lot of Clemson. The guy is explosive but falls down if someone sneezes loud enough. No thanks.
    Etienne has decided to return back to Clemson, I'm not a big fan of his either...

  3. #33
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Etienne has decided to return back to Clemson, I'm not a big fan of his either...
    Oh yeah.. I knew that (and forgot)
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

  4. #34
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Steelers RB Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out next season

    by Tommy Jaggi

    The Steelers have some rebuilding to do on the offensive side of the football. Here’s why Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out in Pittsburgh’s backfield next season.

    There’s no secret that the Steelers have some improvements to make on the offensive side of the ball before the 2020 season kicks off. Without Ben Roethlisberger last year, Pittsburgh finished as the league’s 30th ranked offense by the season’s end.

    This year, Pittsburgh will be hoping to turn things around in a big way. There is plenty of reason to believe that the Steelers will spend at least a few of their top draft choices on offense this year. Tight end and offensive line are needs that are being talked about for Pittsburgh, and drafting another wide receiver certainly isn’t out of the question.

    However, running back is also a position the Steelers could stand to improve. If Pittsburgh elects to go this route, Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out of the roster at the position.

    During his first two seasons with the team, Samuels proved to be worth the 5th round pick Pittsburgh spent to get him. With Le’Veon Bell sitting out, James Conner started his first full season in 2018. However, when Conner went down with a knee injury late in the season, it was Samuels who showed up in a big way.

    Samuels helped Pittsburgh on the ground and through the air. He ultimately caught 26 of 29 passes on the sesaon, and helped lead the Steelers to victory with 172 total yards against the Patriots. By the end of the season, Samuels had managed a respectable 4.6 yards per carry on the ground to go with 7.7 yards per reception.

    Last season, however, things did not go so well for the former NC State product. Samuels was wildly inefficient when called upon – averaging just 2.7 yards per carry on the ground and 6.5 through the air.

    With Conner’s inability to stay healthy, it’s increasingly likely that Pittsburgh will look to add help to their running back core this offseason (either through the draft or free agency). If this indeed happens, Samuels will be the odd man out.

    Conner is the projected starter for the Steelers next season, while Benny Snell showed promise as a runner in his rookie season. Snell is still just 21 years old and has 3 years remaining on a cheap rookie deal.

    The Steelers rarely keep more than three running backs on their roster, and fullback, Roosevelt Nix will round out the group in the backfield. Samuels isn’t guaranteed to get cut from the team this offseason, and he will have a chance to prove his worth to this football team.

    However, if the Steelers elect to go with a running back high in the draft, Samuels may be looking for employment on another team in 2020.

    https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/28/...d-next-season/

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Snell should be the starter. Conner has shown he can’t be dependable.

    Samuel is a hybrid so I think he stays although I was extremely disappointed in his production last year.
    Tomlin’s coming back so what can you do?


  6. #36
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers RB Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out next season

    by Tommy Jaggi

    The Steelers have some rebuilding to do on the offensive side of the football. Here’s why Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out in Pittsburgh’s backfield next season.

    There’s no secret that the Steelers have some improvements to make on the offensive side of the ball before the 2020 season kicks off. Without Ben Roethlisberger last year, Pittsburgh finished as the league’s 30th ranked offense by the season’s end.

    This year, Pittsburgh will be hoping to turn things around in a big way. There is plenty of reason to believe that the Steelers will spend at least a few of their top draft choices on offense this year. Tight end and offensive line are needs that are being talked about for Pittsburgh, and drafting another wide receiver certainly isn’t out of the question.

    However, running back is also a position the Steelers could stand to improve. If Pittsburgh elects to go this route, Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out of the roster at the position.

    During his first two seasons with the team, Samuels proved to be worth the 5th round pick Pittsburgh spent to get him. With Le’Veon Bell sitting out, James Conner started his first full season in 2018. However, when Conner went down with a knee injury late in the season, it was Samuels who showed up in a big way.

    Samuels helped Pittsburgh on the ground and through the air. He ultimately caught 26 of 29 passes on the sesaon, and helped lead the Steelers to victory with 172 total yards against the Patriots. By the end of the season, Samuels had managed a respectable 4.6 yards per carry on the ground to go with 7.7 yards per reception.

    Last season, however, things did not go so well for the former NC State product. Samuels was wildly inefficient when called upon – averaging just 2.7 yards per carry on the ground and 6.5 through the air.

    With Conner’s inability to stay healthy, it’s increasingly likely that Pittsburgh will look to add help to their running back core this offseason (either through the draft or free agency). If this indeed happens, Samuels will be the odd man out.

    Conner is the projected starter for the Steelers next season, while Benny Snell showed promise as a runner in his rookie season. Snell is still just 21 years old and has 3 years remaining on a cheap rookie deal.

    The Steelers rarely keep more than three running backs on their roster, and fullback, Roosevelt Nix will round out the group in the backfield. Samuels isn’t guaranteed to get cut from the team this offseason, and he will have a chance to prove his worth to this football team.

    However, if the Steelers elect to go with a running back high in the draft, Samuels may be looking for employment on another team in 2020.

    https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/28/...d-next-season/
    Gibson from Memphis, could be that guy, a later pick. He tore it up at the senior bowl as a runner, and he is known as a receiving back. ( trade Conner for 5th--- some team will take that 1 year rental and bet he can be healthy) Snell and Gibson the future?
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."



  7. #37
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Steelers RB Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out next season

    by Tommy Jaggi

    The Steelers have some rebuilding to do on the offensive side of the football. Here’s why Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out in Pittsburgh’s backfield next season.

    There’s no secret that the Steelers have some improvements to make on the offensive side of the ball before the 2020 season kicks off. Without Ben Roethlisberger last year, Pittsburgh finished as the league’s 30th ranked offense by the season’s end.

    This year, Pittsburgh will be hoping to turn things around in a big way. There is plenty of reason to believe that the Steelers will spend at least a few of their top draft choices on offense this year. Tight end and offensive line are needs that are being talked about for Pittsburgh, and drafting another wide receiver certainly isn’t out of the question.

    However, running back is also a position the Steelers could stand to improve. If Pittsburgh elects to go this route, Jaylen Samuels could be the odd man out of the roster at the position.

    During his first two seasons with the team, Samuels proved to be worth the 5th round pick Pittsburgh spent to get him. With Le’Veon Bell sitting out, James Conner started his first full season in 2018. However, when Conner went down with a knee injury late in the season, it was Samuels who showed up in a big way.

    Samuels helped Pittsburgh on the ground and through the air. He ultimately caught 26 of 29 passes on the sesaon, and helped lead the Steelers to victory with 172 total yards against the Patriots. By the end of the season, Samuels had managed a respectable 4.6 yards per carry on the ground to go with 7.7 yards per reception.

    Last season, however, things did not go so well for the former NC State product. Samuels was wildly inefficient when called upon – averaging just 2.7 yards per carry on the ground and 6.5 through the air.

    With Conner’s inability to stay healthy, it’s increasingly likely that Pittsburgh will look to add help to their running back core this offseason (either through the draft or free agency). If this indeed happens, Samuels will be the odd man out.

    Conner is the projected starter for the Steelers next season, while Benny Snell showed promise as a runner in his rookie season. Snell is still just 21 years old and has 3 years remaining on a cheap rookie deal.

    The Steelers rarely keep more than three running backs on their roster, and fullback, Roosevelt Nix will round out the group in the backfield. Samuels isn’t guaranteed to get cut from the team this offseason, and he will have a chance to prove his worth to this football team.

    However, if the Steelers elect to go with a running back high in the draft, Samuels may be looking for employment on another team in 2020.

    https://stillcurtain.com/2020/01/28/...d-next-season/
    I don't get the venom towards Samuels. He had his share of injuries in 2019 which effected his performance but I see no reason to dump him given his experience and low cost.

  8. #38
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Gibson from Memphis, could be that guy, a later pick. He tore it up at the senior bowl as a runner, and he is known as a receiving back. ( trade Conner for 5th--- some team will take that 1 year rental and bet he can be healthy) Snell and Gibson the future?
    I watched Gibson play several years against UCF. IMO he would be a good pick up. Runs hard and has some quicks.

  9. #39
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I don't get the venom towards Samuels. He had his share of injuries in 2019 which effected his performance but I see no reason to dump him given his experience and low cost.
    I was just responding to that article which does make some sense, if we draft a RB, someone has to go.

    Conner isn't going anywhere, and I don't think we will sign him in '21, so get a return on him with a pick this year.

    Snell, might be the lead back in '20 and going forward, smash mouth downhill football back in the burg!

    Whytt- he is soooo fast he can dodge rain drops.

    Samuels, he had 1 good game running and wildcat king... better receiving back.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."



  10. #40
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    i see no reason why samuels couldnt be retained as a backup RB.. TE.. FB...H Back
    . special teams, etc.. most teams hold that type of position versatility in high regard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •