Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vrabel did an amazing job.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Vrabel did an amazing job.....

First off, while I would have been hopeful and praying for a win - if tonight had been the Steelers I don't think there's much of a chance with our offense we would have beat the pats.

but more importantly - that punt series by the Titans really brought into focus my chief complaint about Tomlin. In a game of inches, smart savvy coaches can really make the difference. For all Tomlin's strengths (and he has many) my largest critique about him over the years has been with regards to strategy, in-game decisions, clock management etc. I just don't think he's a clever innovative coach. He's a motivator, solid guy who gets the best out of his players - but I believe doesn't always put them in the best position to win.

In other words - does anyone here for one second, think Tomlin would have done delay, false start, delay etc to keep winding that clock down to 5 minutes? I don't think it would have even occurred to him to try. It was an amazing series to watch. Vrabel took an extra 1+45 off the clock without running a play! I was astounded, impressed followed by the realization that is something we would never ever see here in pittsburgh.

the pats are eliminated. the entire country is thrilled. it was done because of coaching. it was amazing to watch.

bummer about the bills - i was hoping they'd hang on. oh well.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    First off, while I would have been hopeful and praying for a win - if tonight had been the Steelers I don't think there's much of a chance with our offense we would have beat the pats.

but more importantly - that punt series by the Titans really brought into focus my chief complaint about Tomlin. In a game of inches, smart savvy coaches can really make the difference. For all Tomlin's strengths (and he has many) my largest critique about him over the years has been with regards to strategy, in-game decisions, clock management etc. I just don't think he's a clever innovative coach. He's a motivator, solid guy who gets the best out of his players - but I believe doesn't always put them in the best position to win.

In other words - does anyone here for one second, think Tomlin would have done delay, false start, delay etc to keep winding that clock down to 5 minutes? I don't think it would have even occurred to him to try. It was an amazing series to watch. Vrabel took an extra 1+45 off the clock without running a play! I was astounded, impressed followed by the realization that is something we would never ever see here in pittsburgh.

the pats are eliminated. the entire country is thrilled. it was done because of coaching. it was amazing to watch.

Spot on. For all those who say that in the NFL, it's mostly about talent and that the head coach doesn't make all that much of a difference, well, this game refutes that notion loud and clear. Coaching matters -- a lot. The Titans won this game, in large part, because of the job Vrabel did.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Spot on. For all those who say that in the NFL, it's mostly about talent and that the head coach doesn't make all that much of a difference, well, this game refutes that notion loud and clear. Coaching matters -- a lot. The Titans won this game, in large part, because of the job Vrabel did.
    Henry is a monster though and that punter made some sick punts!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've never seen anything like that anywhere, so I'm not sure you can assign it as a defect to Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I've never seen anything like that anywhere, so I'm not sure you can assign it as a defect to Tomlin.
    I wouldn't call it a defect either - i seriously doubt many would have even thought of it. I sure as heck didn't. But it was a glaring example of brilliant coaching nonetheless.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it worked out but I didn't like that move by vrabel.

up by 1 point, there was still 5 minutes left in the game. plenty of time to get in FG position at the least.
    thought he may have screwed his team by not allowing enough time to come back if the pats scored

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    it worked out but I didn't like that move by vrabel.

up by 1 point, there was still 5 minutes left in the game. plenty of time to get in FG position at the least.
    thought he may have screwed his team by not allowing enough time to come back if the pats scored
    Glad it helped beat the Pats, but it seems super cheesy to me.

Have to assume the competition committee gets rid of this loophole in the future by giving the D the option to decline the run off.

According to the link below this was BB's "trick" and he used it against the Jets early in the season. Said it was a loophole that would probably get closed. I agree. But it makes it sweeter that it was BBs and used against.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/tita...n-clock-2020-1

I also agree with NJ that with that much time left and such a small lead, this could have easily bit Gen in the ass.

Also not sure why you think the clock trick was more important than the D execution for Ten (or maybe lack of O execution for NE?)
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-05-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Another thread to take a shot at Tomlin.
    Why can't people just give the Titans credit without taking shots at our guy??

Why not take shoots at BB?? Brady? Pats WRs for dropping passes? Couldn't stop the run?

BB is the individual that brought the faulty rule to national attention. BB is always looking for ways to cheat.
    Some would call BB a fool for bringing attention to the rule earlier in the season at a meaningless time. Simply because could had come back to bite his team.

Ultimately that didn't cause the Pats to lose the game. Poor execution by the Pats in crunch time is what loss the game. The Titans would had loss that game if they faced the Brady of old.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 01-05-2020 at 06:52 AM.

Starter

User Info Menu

bummer about the bills - i was hoping they'd hang on. oh well.
    Great job by Vrabel, What an innovator, Used the old masters tricks against him...You ever think Popcorn would have done that...

" Tomlins strengths and they're many " lmao stop...Please tell us what they are...

Here's what they're not...
    Supposed Defensive mind, Especially DB, D has sucked for years, Especially DB...Also had to trade a 1st round draft pick for one, Because he can't draft of development one...

Sucks at clock management
    Timeouts
    In game Coaching
    Continually playing down to garbage teams
    No lockeroom discipline

Ya, He's great!
    Last edited by Disco1981; 01-05-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Vrabel didn’t even invent this gimmick, how is he a great coach, and how does it make Tomlin suck in comparison?