Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Vrabel did an amazing job.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ben doesn't have to be leading the league in passing like 2018. If Ben had played an got us 20TDs and 10-12INTs we would have easily been able to win at least two or three more games and make the play offs. We weren't as bad as some want to make the team out to be.

IMO we need to upgrade RB and TE on offense and push the ball down the field less.

Fichtner may need to go but I doubt if that happens because of Ben's comfort with him.
    I agree with you.

I'd also argue that he was more "good" in 2018 than "great". He just had lots of volume. It's not unlike when Bell was 3rd in the league in rushing with 30 - 45 more carries than everyone else in the top 10.

If he leads the league in passing, it will be like in 2018 where he gets ~ 100 more attempts than the next guy. In 2018, Ben beat (675 attempts) out Mahomes (580 attempts) by 32 yards (5129 - 5097).

He got a lot of yards because we threw so much more than everyone else. And most of those throws were pretty short. I seem to remember him having deep ball accuracy issues early in the year that lead to Gatorade being throw by some dead-beat-dad on the sidelines. Not sure if the accuracy issues got ironed out by the end of the year (the WRs child care issues certainly didn't).

We don't need Ben to be great. He just has to be OK to good.

I think Ben's QB brain will be very much better than MR or Duck. If his arm works, that should lead to much better O. I guess the thing I'm worried about with Ben is that his brain still thinks he's playing with a 30 year old arm, and the 38 year old arm just can't get it done anymore.

Either way, our chips are already in the pot.

Legend

User Info Menu

NE average TOP was 2:43, so it dropped the number of possessions to <2 vs a possible 3rd possession.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Fichtner wasn't good in 2018; and he wasn't good in 2019. How much do they need to see to know he stinks?
    I don't think I agree, but I've heard people argue that Fichtner was good in 2018 because of the large increase in red-zone efficiency.

I tend to think that it was Ben doing most of the work, but I don't know how much we can judge Fichtner based on this year when we ran the practice squad out for so many games.

Legend

User Info Menu

That guy in MIN can really put an O together. Helped Cousins break through his ceiling.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't think I agree, but I've heard people argue that Fichtner was good in 2018 because of the large increase in red-zone efficiency.

I tend to think that it was Ben doing most of the work, but I don't know how much we can judge Fichtner based on this year when we ran the practice squad out for so many games.
    But wasn't that increase due to Connor just being a better red zone runner then Bell was? Connor had a nose for the end zone that year.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    That guy in MIN can really put an O together. Helped Cousins break through his ceiling.
    Vikings were running the rock. Dalvin Cook was the first 100 yard rusher against the Saints in 40 games. When you have that type of play action pass option, you should be effective.

Legend

User Info Menu

Football is always going to be a duel threat sport.

Passing league? Okay... all of a sudden we are seeing QB’s running for 60 to 80 yards a game and the rushing attack is serious with a few of these teams.

Minnesota is a totally different team with Delvin Cook in the back field.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you.

I'd also argue that he was more "good" in 2018 than "great". He just had lots of volume. It's not unlike when Bell was 3rd in the league in rushing with 30 - 45 more carries than everyone else in the top 10.

If he leads the league in passing, it will be like in 2018 where he gets ~ 100 more attempts than the next guy. In 2018, Ben beat (675 attempts) out Mahomes (580 attempts) by 32 yards (5129 - 5097).

He got a lot of yards because we threw so much more than everyone else. And most of those throws were pretty short. I seem to remember him having deep ball accuracy issues early in the year that lead to Gatorade being throw by some dead-beat-dad on the sidelines. Not sure if the accuracy issues got ironed out by the end of the year (the WRs child care issues certainly didn't).

We don't need Ben to be great. He just has to be OK to good.

I think Ben's QB brain will be very much better than MR or Duck. If his arm works, that should lead to much better O. I guess the thing I'm worried about with Ben is that his brain still thinks he's playing with a 30 year old arm, and the 38 year old arm just can't get it done anymore.

Either way, our chips are already in the pot.
    mot knocking Mahomes but KC throws a ton of screen passes. He can make all the throws but a lot of his production is due to short dump offs. Ben has ridiculous numbers because we had to put up points.

With our D now, all we have to do is ball control and we can win 10 games easy next year if Ben has half an arm left.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    mot knocking Mahomes but KC throws a ton of screen passes. He can make all the throws but a lot of his production is due to short dump offs. Ben has ridiculous numbers because we had to put up points.

With our D now, all we have to do is ball control and we can win 10 games easy next year if Ben has half an arm left.
    I don't have the numbers, but I thought Ben had one of the lower "intended air yards" in 2018.

With Bell leaving, I thought we did the "WR screen is the new run" offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't have the numbers, but I thought Ben had one of the lower "intended air yards" in 2018.

With Bell leaving, I thought we did the "WR screen is the new run" offense.
    not sure. I know we fed AB a ton of short passes and let him do his thing and also targeted JuJu in the slot.

you might be right.

I just know when I watch KC I see a lot of screens and double screen pass plays. That’s Andy Reid’s favorite play. They are usually set up perfectly too.