Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Reality: Salary Cap and making decisions

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    "Cap." I like that in this context, I'll go by the name "Salary Cap" from now on.

Where exactly did I say paying Ben was a good idea.
    You didn't specifically say that.

But you did say that play was all that mattered with QBs and that play was the only important thing.

Ben's play was very good in 2018 (by the numbers for sure). By that standard, he deserved his market level deal.

Ben certainly wasn't bad in 2018. It seems reasonable to take your statement and assume that you think his pay didn't matter. Is that not what you meant when you said "The real pattern has zero to do with pay. The issue is "play"."?

I'll be happy to refer to you as "Salary Cap" if you like . Although it does cost me some key strokes.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 01-07-2020 at 03:29 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    You didn't specifically say that.

But you did say that play was all that mattered with QBs and that play was the only important thing.

Ben's play was very good in 2018 (by the numbers for sure). By that standard, he deserved his market level deal.

Ben certainly wasn't bad in 2018. It seems reasonable to take your statement and assume that you think his pay didn't matter. Is that not what you meant?

I'll be happy to refer to you as "Salary Cap" if you like . Although it does cost me some key strokes.
    I never expressed support for it at the time. I did not think it necessary as he he had another year IIRC.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I never expressed support for it at the time. I did not think it necessary as he he had another year IIRC.
    I’m pretty sure in some of our “pay the man” debates you were quick to defend Ben getting paid big bucks because the QB position is so important when I would suggest we move on from his high salary.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think we probably agree to at least 95% or something.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I’m pretty sure in some of our “pay the man” debates you were quick to defend Ben getting paid big bucks because the QB position is so important when I would suggest we move on from his high salary.
    I'm actually quite sure I never commented on it.
    I know you engaged...many times on it with Maniac who called you a hater for it.

I know that in broad terms we have debated many time the value of QB versus other skill positions.
    I have also debated with you whether Ben "needs" AB or Bell many times.

I know we argued alot on the topic of Ben, but I do not think I ever touched on his extension.

You know how to do the search, have at...
    I know NB can find just about anything.
    If its there he will find it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm actually quite sure I never commented on it.
    I know you engaged...many times on it with Maniac who called you a hater for it.

I know that in broad terms we have debated many time the value of QB versus other skill positions.
    I have also debated with you whether Ben "needs" AB or Bell many times.

I know we argued alot on the topic of Ben, but I do not think I ever touched on his extension.

You know how to do the search, have at...
    I know NB can find just about anything.
    If its there he will find it.
    it’s not that serious for me to spend time searching for it. If you say you never touched it I’m good with it.
    Tomlinís coming back so what can you do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is a really good article.

I've heard them mention the 30% rule a couple of times on the Terrible Podcast, but I didn't know what it meant.

I think the June 1st thing means that the Steelers would be screwed if Ben retired. So, I think he'll be on the roster even if his elbow is replaced by a 2x4.

Legend

User Info Menu

You do know you just have employed the only way to deceive yourself into thinking you won a debate with me right?

You are debating a point I have never tried to make Blitz.
    I have repeatedly said it a mistake to overpay the wrong QBs.
    I dont think that is rocket science.

"The Point" that I took issue with is the article which references a nearly every QB in the NFC playoff this season.
    It was proven wrong Blitz. And I showed that in a way that cannot be reasonably contradicted.
    YOU replied to "my" comment about the article, therefore the "article" is the point in contention.

My comment was never about bad QB signings. It was about the article.
    The only thing it got right is not sticking with "bad" QBs.
    What is implied about paying good ones....WRONG.

If your feelings are as expressed here, we agree.

If you contend that anything I have ACTUALLY SAID about that article are incorrect...where?
    Deciding when to STOP paying an elite QB is a bigger question than when to start paying one.

Roethlisberger's DVOA peaked in 2015 and has been on a slide since then. These are numbers a team needs to pay attention to.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 01-07-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Early preview of free agency

Missi, Craig and Bob give their early assessment of how free agency might look for the Steelers

https://www.steelers.com/video/early...of-free-agency

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Deciding when to STOP paying an elite QB is a bigger question than when to start paying one.

Roethlisberger's DVOA peaked in 2015 and has been on a slide since then. These are numbers a team needs to pay attention to.
    Yeah, the tricky part is to know when to stop and move on.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]