Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 146

Thread: v. Ravens

  1. #131
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    i appreciate your point of view and donít think itís as bad as you do. I do see areas for big improvement even though Iím a big homer, but if we can get better OLine play and QB play, this team has enough talent to win the big one. I still think itís QB + D that brings home the Lombardi.

    Insee the rest of the guys as important, it good enough. Even if we have the best talent at WR, RB, and TE, imho, weíre at best a playoff team, but not necessarily winning.

    I think over a few beers, you and I would agree on more than we disagree.

    Flippy,


    I don't think it's the end of the world, I think there are spots on offense (WR for example I am very excited about)...so you are right we do agree.

    But I will repeat. I am a believer in the number of 150 that is a theory that has been espoused by John Clayton. (link provided)

    https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...50-for-o-lines


    Sorry if you have seen me post those in several posts in the past but recapping when a lines age goes over collectively 150, its effectiveness starts to drop off dramatically.

    Well if we go into next year with the oline this year:

    Next year
    AV....32
    Foster....34
    Pouncey....31
    DeCastro....30
    Fieler....28

    Total age: 155

    It's an old line

    Even if you replace Foster with Finney its still 150 (29).

    So I think you do need to replace at least 40% of the line next year. I doubt they replace Pouncey so it may end up being the whole left side. That is a scary thought given Ben's age.

    If I am right and their play "falls of a cliff" having an old left side may be just as bad for an older Ben.

    So my concern is as it usually is "at the pits"

    Brothervad

  2. #132
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Don't worry; Ben is suppose to come back like a knight on a white horse and save us next year.
    I feel sorry for any horse that Ben rides.

  3. #133
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Not this good, tho
    They may, have to see how the offseason progresses. They need more balance between offense and defense so it may cost them a defensive player to make that happen.

    Please, for the love of everything holy, cut Jordan Berry.

  4. #134
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    You probably just seen the last of Duck Hodges, make sure you get your Duck merch.

  5. #135
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    Technically, the third game will have had nothing to do with our elimination.
    I think the Jets is really the only game we had any business winning.

    9 wins wouldn't have been enough anyway.

    You can't win in today's NFL with a bad O. And our O was brutal.

    Wasn't obvious in a string of home games where our D was scoring and or getting 4 + turnover every week.

  6. #136
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    They may, have to see how the offseason progresses. They need more balance between offense and defense so it may cost them a defensive player to make that happen.

    Please, for the love of everything holy, cut Jordan Berry.
    At this point I don't see how this defense can stay the same or the offense can be ungraded with our lack of cash and picks.
    It will be interesting to see if they make some bold moves or go thru the motions for Ben's last couple years.
    I'm gonna guess 'motions'.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

  7. #137
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Flippy,


    I don't think it's the end of the world, I think there are spots on offense (WR for example I am very excited about)...so you are right we do agree.

    But I will repeat. I am a believer in the number of 150 that is a theory that has been espoused by John Clayton. (link provided)

    https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...50-for-o-lines


    Sorry if you have seen me post those in several posts in the past but recapping when a lines age goes over collectively 150, its effectiveness starts to drop off dramatically.

    Well if we go into next year with the oline this year:

    Next year
    AV....32
    Foster....34
    Pouncey....31
    DeCastro....30
    Fieler....28

    Total age: 155

    It's an old line

    Even if you replace Foster with Finney its still 150 (29).

    So I think you do need to replace at least 40% of the line next year. I doubt they replace Pouncey so it may end up being the whole left side. That is a scary thought given Ben's age.

    If I am right and their play "falls of a cliff" having an old left side may be just as bad for an older Ben.

    So my concern is as it usually is "at the pits"

    Brothervad
    No way. I totally disagree. Have other more pressing issues than the line.

    I will concede that Finney may replace Foster, as I think Finney is a FA now. So, that would be one change, however, as they were discussing on the radio, Foster is a huge asset in the locker room. RT may get some competition with Banner in the mix.

    Gotta figure out who the backup QB will be. I hope they learned their lesson that they cannot go into the next season without a quality experienced backup.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 12-29-2019 at 09:42 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  8. #138
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Lol

    You can disagree all you want. I am merely sharing a theory that has data to back it. I am merely saying if it holds serve, then Ben may be out for periods of time due to injury.

    Hey I hope this O-line is the outlier, but Foster/AV already have looked pretty bad this season, Age will not make this better.

    Brothervad

  9. #139
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    At this point I don't see how this defense can stay the same or the offense can be ungraded with our lack of cash and picks.
    It will be interesting to see if they make some bold moves or go thru the motions for Ben's last couple years.
    I'm gonna guess 'motions'.
    It’s going to be tough ; our window for winning a championship is closed now so it’s whatever for me right now. I think we are spinning our wheels until we get a new QB and head coach. I love Ben but with his lack of dedication toward staying in shape , I can’t see him being the same guy as the guy he was in 2018.


    Im just focused on us plugging other holes until those two changes are made. Then I’ll know we are serious about winning championships again.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

  10. #140
    Administrator

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by brothervad View Post
    Well at least this an unleash hell in December (on us fans)

    0-3 certainly qualifies as unleashing hell.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •