Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to fix the offense for 2020 and beyond

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How to fix the offense for 2020 and beyond

1) Fire Randy Fichtner- dude hase ZERO imagination

2) Draft Jalen Hurts in round 2. We will need to use cash to resign defensive players. Maybe Franchise Bud. Hargrave wont be cheap either. Hurts is a winner. Great character. Riley made a passer out of him. Incredibly accurate (72%) and his legs bring a total other dimension.

3) Bring Hurts' OC Cale Gundy in as our new OC. The guy has run the top offense in the country 3 straight years. He's not just an air raid guy either. OU runs the ball. A lot!!!!

4) Use every pick on offense. A good TE in the 3rd. A RB in the 4th. OL depth in 6&7.

5) Cut Pouncey. Dude is washed up. He may be great in the locker room but it's time to move on. Use his $$ on another player at an offensive position ( OL, WR,RB, TE) of need. We are a better team with Finney at Center.

Much more work needed but this would be how I would start.

Legend

User Info Menu

it is certainly time for this organization to decide its identity.. The defense (as is) can compete with anyone.. if we let go 3 or 4 guys on that side of the ball.. we certainly risk that..

and i dont see us becomming an offensive juggernaut next year. (Due to being in cap hell).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Im definitely a fan of drafting Jalen Hurts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    1) Fire Randy Fichtner- dude hase ZERO imagination

2) Draft Jalen Hurts in round 2. We will need to use cash to resign defensive players. Maybe Franchise Bud. Hargrave wont be cheap either. Hurts is a winner. Great character. Riley made a passer out of him. Incredibly accurate (72%) and his legs bring a total other dimension.

3) Bring Hurts' OC Cale Gundy in as our new OC. The guy has run the top offense in the country 3 straight years. He's not just an air raid guy either. OU runs the ball. A lot!!!!

4) Use every pick on offense. A good TE in the 3rd. A RB in the 4th. OL depth in 6&7.

5) Cut Pouncey. Dude is washed up. He may be great in the locker room but it's time to move on. Use his $$ on another player at an offensive position ( OL, WR,RB, TE) of need. We are a better team with Finney at Center.

Much more work needed but this would be how I would start.
    I like your thinking. I don't think we'll do #1 and #5, though, because Ben likes both Fichtner and Pouncey.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I like your thinking. I don't think we'll do #1 and #5, though, because Ben likes both Fichtner and Pouncey.
    unfortunately, I believe you're right.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Key, I always like your insight...

I agree that Fitchner needs to go, and Pouncey's ship might of sailed along with Foster's. With these 3 gone, would it send a message to Ben to hang up his cleats as well? There is no guarantee Ben will be Ben when/if he comes back. Can we afford those cap hits if they retire?

Has Pouncey play really deteriorated or is it a Benless offense? In another thread, Pete mentioned to move him to guard, which might prolong his play, if this is the case could we redo his contrat to extend years( ghost contract I think it is called) and give him a bonus. This way ease in the new wave of OL.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I’m not in favor of drafting any more Big 12 quarterbacks. Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph both lit that conference up but their skill set barely translates to the NFL. In fact, other than Patrick Mahomes I can’t think of another Big 12 QB who was great in the NFL.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think quick fixes are unlikely to work

I think we should shoot for an average O next year with Ben coming back and maybe adding some complimentary pieces through the draft. With average to above average QB play, I think our D takes us pretty far. Like early career Ben.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Key, I always like your insight...

I agree that Fitchner needs to go, and Pouncey's ship might of sailed along with Foster's. With these 3 gone, would it send a message to Ben to hang up his cleats as well? There is no guarantee Ben will be Ben when/if he comes back. Can we afford those cap hits if they retire?

Has Pouncey play really deteriorated or is it a Benless offense? In another thread, Pete mentioned to move him to guard, which might prolong his play, if this is the case could we redo his contrat to extend years( ghost contract I think it is called) and give him a bonus. This way ease in the new wave of OL.
    I believe PFF rated him the worst Center in the NFL this year. Not sure a move to Guard would help

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I’m not in favor of drafting any more Big 12 quarterbacks. Landry Jones and Mason Rudolph both lit that conference up but their skill set barely translates to the NFL. In fact, other than Patrick Mahomes I can’t think of another Big 12 QB who was great in the NFL.
    Totally different skill set. Don't forget he spent 3 seasons with Alabama.