Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinning our Wheels;How aggressive should we be?

Legend

User Info Menu

Spinning our Wheels;How aggressive should we be?

Look, we've talked about the future at QB. The two young guys we have don't cut it. We don't have the draft capital to
    make a move for a franchise QB in the 2020 draft. We know there is no serious winning in this league without a legitimate QB. We've said it many a time when we had Ben in his prime; we can't make up a new scenario of convenience because we now have our Ben in decline.
    With that said, shouldn't we go all out (push our chips to the middle of the table) in the 2021 draft to secure a top two overall draft pick & get our new franchise QB? Thoughts?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Idk man.. I like what the FO has done lately to strengthen the D. When i think of pushing the chips all in for a QB though... i cant help but think of the Redskins and RGIII...

Legend

User Info Menu

Id be fine with pulling a Devin Bush type of trade to move into the top 10 if our guy is there

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it brings a bit of hope Brees, Wilson , Prescott n Brady were not selected in round 1 so it is possible to find "that guy " later on.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    If it brings a bit of hope Brees, Wilson , Prescott n Brady were not selected in round 1 so it is possible to find "that guy " later on.
    Didn't we already draft draft heir apparent in the later rounds with Jones and then Rudolph?
    I'd rather go all in then waste more later round picks hoping to strike gold.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think they're is any easy we do this without dismantling the D.

You need a pretty high pick to trade up that high. I think our D will still be very good next year and even a declining Ben is probably better than this (as long as he can throw).

I'm not against tanking in general, but I don't think we're bad enough to go full Bengals unless we trade away the D for picks. And I don't think that's a good idea.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Didn't we already draft draft heir apparent in the later rounds with Jones and then Rudolph?
    I'd rather go all in then waste more later round picks hoping to strike gold.
    Recent top 10 qb's Trubisky and Rosen did not work out or at least not yet. So its risky . I believe Rudolph could be a starting NFL qb. Not sure that the Steelers are ready to give up on MR I guess we'll just have to see.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Look, we've talked about the future at QB. The two young guys we have don't cut it. We don't have the draft capital to
    make a move for a franchise QB in the 2020 draft. We know there is no serious winning in this league without a legitimate QB. We've said it many a time when we had Ben in his prime; we can't make up a new scenario of convenience because we now have our Ben in decline.
    With that said, shouldn't we go all out (push our chips to the middle of the table) in the 2021 draft to secure a top two overall draft pick & get our new franchise QB? Thoughts?
    What do you mean all in?

You mean trade up? Tank - firesell like the Dolphins tried this year?

Is that draft class even any good?

So many scenarios....

Rudolf, to me had a crazy year...
    1)Hot preseason
    2) Moved to starter, expected to fill in for Ben,
    3) NO SKILL PLAYERS (injuries, a FA WR who failed, young WR, who were soo green, that they were 4th -5th options and practice squid players)
    4) Concusion, Fight-accused of being a racists ( which probably still haunts him and get looks from all players),
    5) a declining OL,
    6) No QB coach-how is he going to get developed?
    7) Horrid OC
    Came back strong last game ( a quarter before injury)- shows mental strength.

Jury is still out on this kid, he shows he has the skill set, he is mentally strong, now lets see if it "clicks" and the game slows down, where he makes faster reads. ( I thought that was his biggest weakness)

So my answer is no, don't go nuts to reach for that QB... go nuts to surround him with coaches and protection.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's way early but at this point we have next to nothing for cap space (especially compared to other teams), not many draft picks and the ones we do have aren't high.
    According to the board, we need a starting QB, rb, c, g/t, te, olb, nt and maybe we and safety.
    It's going to be a huge task to address all these spots(with upgrades/status quo) with so little ammunition.
    Steelers aren't know for cutting players like ben, pouncey, av to make some cap space and they usually don't carry a lot of dead money.
    I personally think they will go all in for Dupree (make a few cuts Barron, McDonald, and a restructure) to try to keep him and roll with the hopes Ben and Connor can return and our wrs can develop.
    Gonna be interesting.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Recent top 10 qb's Trubisky and Rosen did not work out or at least not yet. So its risky . I believe Rudolph could be a starting NFL qb. Not sure that the Steelers are ready to give up on MR I guess we'll just have to see.
    Iron, you've got to have more faith in Colbert . You can't base what happen to the bad drafting Bears & Cardinals to what may happen to us if we move up.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]