Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Game on Tomlin?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    No QB coach to help these guys be better is a front office fail.
    I would guess Batch would take the job in a microsecond if offered.
    They were talking about this on the Terrible Podcast a while ago.

Apparently there is a full time assistant that works with the QBs. Just doesn't have the title of QB coach.

Another internal thing though. Should really get some fresh perspective on the offensive side though IMO.

Lots of people were down on Butler last year, but at least he could hang his hat on great sack numbers (the reason he was hired).

Our O is brutal this year. I can't pretend that it's all on coaching because the talent after so many injuries has been terrible. But it's not like Fitch er has anything he can point to as being good (at least nothing I can think of)
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Well we did have a great passing offense(yds wise) last year.
    I honestly believe a lot of those yards came on Ben scrambling and ad libbing though.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Well, your boy Tomlin declared him the starter for several games and was effective in a few wins. Probably the same games that you and others said he was the answer. So, based on those things, someone must have seen that duck has enough skills to be in the NFL. Kinda up to the coaches to devise a plan to maximize what they saw in him. Especially to trade Dobbs away.
    Screens, draws, pick plays and quick passes are a way to help out a qb.
    Where are the reverses, flea flickers and half back passes?
    The wildcat was effective when the right person was running it.
    Why not spend some practice time on these things during the week instead if giving players days off and just rolling with our off season developed plays?
    You think we should do more wildcat?

It hasn't really worked since (a) we put it on tape and (b) weren't playing the worst team in the league that's actively trying to lose.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    These dudes trash.. lol.

No QB coach can save them.

I’m being harsh but let’s be real. It’s Rudolph’s second year and he had mega yards in college. He’s just not that good.

Duck was all swagger but it’s gone.

We better get a vet in here next year until Rudolph is ready or play them next year and hope we get a high first round pick.
    Not ready to label Rudolph 'trash'. He's not the next Mahomes. He would benefit greatly from a strong running game. But the Steelers cannot even give him that.
    What happened to the days of power running, when teams knew the Steelers were going to run and yet they still couldn't stop them? That's the kind of game the young QBs could benefit from.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    You think we should do more wildcat?

It hasn't really worked since (a) we put it on tape and (b) weren't playing the worst team in the league that's actively trying to lose.
    A handful of plays a game wouldn't hurt.
    Jets are also one of the worst teams in the league.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wildcat hasn’t worked since the first time we tried it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Well, your boy Tomlin declared him the starter for several games and was effective in a few wins. Probably the same games that you and others said he was the answer. So, based on those things, someone must have seen that duck has enough skills to be in the NFL. Kinda up to the coaches to devise a plan to maximize what they saw in him. Especially to trade Dobbs away.
    Screens, draws, pick plays and quick passes are a way to help out a qb.
    Where are the reverses, flea flickers and half back passes?
    The wildcat was effective when the right person was running it.
    Why not spend some practice time on these things during the week instead if giving players days off and just rolling with our off season developed plays?
    You don't think they are working on these things? Come on!! The problem is you can only scheme your way so far in the NFL eventually your QB is going to have to play QB. The coach's have maximized Duck's talent, they squeezed a few wins out him, teams are watching film on him they are starting to force him to make reads and throw the ball. Why can't people just admit our QB's suck? Every excuse is being made for these guys, It's the coach, Its the coordinator, it's the running game, it's the o-line, it's the defenses fault for letting us get down by 6 instead of 3? How in the world are we in the playoff hunt with all of these guys holding back these great QB's?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    They were talking about this on the Terrible Podcast a while ago.

Apparently there is a full time assistant that works with the QBs. Just doesn't have the title of QB coach.

Another internal thing though. Should really get some fresh perspective on the offensive side though IMO.

Lots of people were down on Butler last year, but at least he could hang his hat on great sack numbers (the reason he was hired).

Our O is brutal this year. I can't pretend that it's all on coaching because the talent after so many injuries has been terrible. But it's not like Fitch er has anything he can point to as being good (at least nothing I can think of)
    The offense did some good things last year when they had competent QB play. They were 6th in scoring offense and 1st in red zone scoring. The WRs were also more productive

They used Conner effectively when he could play.

When a team's QB doesn't play well then that team is generally going to struggle offensively regardless of the OC.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let's be honest...

Tomlin has nothing to do with this.

The offense took a nose dive when Ben was hurt.

Then Moncief fiasco... broken finger or not this dude sucked. We had no WR besides JuJu. Did DJ even dress on game day ( early in season) Washington didn't start clicking until after the 1st Brown's game. Add in fact McDonald was invisble ( injuries or not).

Conner and JuJu out ... had practice players in vital roles.

OL just got old in hurry, Foster ( love his leadership and history), the dude can't ball anymore. Why do I have the impression when we tinkerd with the OL, I think the Browns game, it was exposed.

I think with Ben, we would of won 1 more game, and we would of never of gotten Fitz, which was the major piece to this years stout D. We would be in same predicament just an average team. Call me crazy but I think I like our team better this year with this defense, than an offense (we had this year) with Ben and no Fitz magic on the D.
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Let's be honest...

Tomlin has nothing to do with this.

The offense took a nose dive when Ben was hurt.

Then Moncief fiasco... broken finger or not this dude sucked. We had no WR besides JuJu. Did DJ even dress on game day ( early in season) Washington didn't start clicking until after the 1st Brown's game. Add in fact McDonald was invisble ( injuries or not).

Conner and JuJu out ... had practice players in vital roles.

OL just got old in hurry, Foster ( love his leadership and history), the dude can't ball anymore. Why do I have the impression when we tinkerd with the OL, I think the Browns game, it was exposed.

I think with Ben, we would of won 1 more game, and we would of never of gotten Fitz, which was the major piece to this years stout D. We would be in same predicament just an average team. Call me crazy but I think I like our team better this year with this defense, than an offense (we had this year) with Ben and no Fitz magic on the D.
    And he has nothing to do with the defense too?
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.