Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamar Jackson Quad injury

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    It's clear he can pass and pass well. He's a phenomenal athlete all around. The issue that people are bringing up, and I tend to agree, is that if they keep running him like this, an injury is bound to happen that severely limits that part of his game. And then we'll see if his passing is really up to par when the defense doesn't have to worry about his run game.
    He’s definitely not going to play 15 years..

But a guy like LJ needs to play his game or there is no need to play him at all.

So even if it’s 7 years of crazy excitement football With LJ it’s still worth it IMO.

I would prefer that over say 15 years of Phillip Rivers football where the last 8 years are high turnovers and 7-9 football.

I think the game is changing too. We are seeing more mobile QB’s being used properly instead of trying to force them into pocket passers.

Starter

User Info Menu

One of the biggest concerns regarding Lamar Jackson entering the 2018 draft was his long-term health.
    The reason: Jackson's hypermobility, which has been an incredible tool for the Baltimore Ravens in his first season and a half, leaves him prone to more hits than the average, pocket-restrained passer. In fact, he's on the Ravens injury report this week due to a quadriceps injury, though he's likely to play Thursday night against the New York Jets . Oddly enough, Jackson sustained the injury while in the pocket, but naturally, it was on a touchdown pass to tight end Hayden Hurst
    "I feel great. I feel good. I'm 100 [percent]," Jackson said after Tuesday's practice, via ESPN. "I'm going to be out there Thursday night
    While Jackson torches the league with his arm and legs, defenses are left scrambling to find ways to stop this elite scrambler. According to one of his veteran teammates, Jackson needs to be wary of opposing defenses taking additional shots at his legs throughout the remainder of the 2019 campaign.

"Every time somebody hits him, like man, he don't need to be taking those hits," said Tuesday. "I think the refs need to pay closer attention to that as well and protect him a little bit more. Because teams are trying to do -- I'm not saying they're trying to hurt Lamar -- but they're definitely going at his legs more than they were doing it at first."
    Jackson broke 1,000 yards rushing in Sunday's close win over the Buffalo Bills to move the Ravens to 11-2 and officially lock up a playoff berth for the defending AFC North champions. He's tearing apart the opposition in part because of the offense built for him by coordinator Greg Roman, who has introduced pistol and spread concepts to take advantage of Jackson's legs, as well as his threat to run when the Ravens are actually looking to pass. Jackson has taken his share of hits, but he's also avoided them simply by making defenders miss and outrunning the rest.
    That could result in some defensive desperation, such as the actions described by Thomas. How such a statement might affect officiating of Jackson's play is yet to be seen. As of now, there haven't been many examples of hits that stick out in the mind of an average NFL viewer, other than the missed tackle attempts that leave defenders helplessly flailing away from Jackson.
    He still does get tackled frequently, though, which Thomas appreciates -- as long as they're clean.
    "He's very durable. His toughness -- you can't question it," Thomas said. "He's taking a lot of hits. He's sacrificing his body for the team. I respect that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086719/article/earl-thomas-refs-need-to-protect-lamar-jackson-more
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    One of the biggest concerns regarding Lamar Jackson entering the 2018 draft was his long-term health.
    The reason: Jackson's hypermobility, which has been an incredible tool for the Baltimore Ravens in his first season and a half, leaves him prone to more hits than the average, pocket-restrained passer. In fact, he's on the Ravens injury report this week due to a quadriceps injury, though he's likely to play Thursday night against the New York Jets . Oddly enough, Jackson sustained the injury while in the pocket, but naturally, it was on a touchdown pass to tight end Hayden Hurst
    "I feel great. I feel good. I'm 100 [percent]," Jackson said after Tuesday's practice, via ESPN. "I'm going to be out there Thursday night
    While Jackson torches the league with his arm and legs, defenses are left scrambling to find ways to stop this elite scrambler. According to one of his veteran teammates, Jackson needs to be wary of opposing defenses taking additional shots at his legs throughout the remainder of the 2019 campaign.

"Every time somebody hits him, like man, he don't need to be taking those hits," said Tuesday. "I think the refs need to pay closer attention to that as well and protect him a little bit more. Because teams are trying to do -- I'm not saying they're trying to hurt Lamar -- but they're definitely going at his legs more than they were doing it at first."
    Jackson broke 1,000 yards rushing in Sunday's close win over the Buffalo Bills to move the Ravens to 11-2 and officially lock up a playoff berth for the defending AFC North champions. He's tearing apart the opposition in part because of the offense built for him by coordinator Greg Roman, who has introduced pistol and spread concepts to take advantage of Jackson's legs, as well as his threat to run when the Ravens are actually looking to pass. Jackson has taken his share of hits, but he's also avoided them simply by making defenders miss and outrunning the rest.
    That could result in some defensive desperation, such as the actions described by Thomas. How such a statement might affect officiating of Jackson's play is yet to be seen. As of now, there haven't been many examples of hits that stick out in the mind of an average NFL viewer, other than the missed tackle attempts that leave defenders helplessly flailing away from Jackson.
    He still does get tackled frequently, though, which Thomas appreciates -- as long as they're clean.
    "He's very durable. His toughness -- you can't question it," Thomas said. "He's taking a lot of hits. He's sacrificing his body for the team. I respect that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086719/article/earl-thomas-refs-need-to-protect-lamar-jackson-more
    Defenses are going after LJ's legs because going after anything else has proven to be a good way that he breaks free for a big play. There is no conspiracy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Always cracks me up when predicting injuries to mobile QB’s. They usually end up getting hurt while throwing a pass in the pocket.

Starter

User Info Menu

Earl Thomas wants protection for LJ but yet he's the one who head hunted on Mason Rudolph..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post

wow. what a joke.
    they already are giving him preferential treatment. 2 personnel fouls in the pocket vs. buffalo. one was like Ola's hit where the initial contact started on the upper leg but was still flagged.
    then a ref on the sideline threw a flag when a buffalo defender started contact in bounds but ended up out of bounds When he was running the ball.
    even hairball starting talking to the bill's player.
    that one was hilarious because they wound up picking up the flag as they huddled up and (like the replay showed) said he was in bounds when first contact was made

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A scramble is one thing. But if it’s a designed run with the QB - I say light his a$$ up. He’s a RB at that point.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    A scramble is one thing. But if it’s a designed run with the QB - I say light his a$$ up. He’s a RB at that point.
    Any time he’s running , light him up regardless.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Legend

User Info Menu

So, if Lamar Jackson is running an RPO play and opts for the run option can he give himself up and avoid hits or does that become null and void the moment he becomes a running back rather than a scrambling quarterback? If he can give himself up, can a running back do the same?

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.18 - Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
    2.49 -
    4.114 -
    4.117 -
    6.179 -

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    So, if Lamar Jackson is running an RPO play and opts for the run option can he give himself up and avoid hits or does that become null and void the moment he becomes a running back rather than a scrambling quarterback? If he can give himself up, can a running back do the same?

Pappy
    Do you mean sliding? I’m pretty sure QB’s can slide regardless if it’s an RPO.

Wilson, Wentz, and other QB’s have been doing it for years and no one said a word about them sliding to avoid contact.

Just because Lamar is better than other QB’s at running doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get the same treatment as other QB’s who run RPO and can give themselves up.