Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Steelers vs Cardnals - game day

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

It shouldn't have been an "automatic" in a situation like that, but since it was (because Tomlin installed it), he should have "uninstalled" it. And because he didn't, he bears the blame.
    I believe Tomlin took responsibility...he always does

He is also responsible for the win too

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Can't believe you're still defending Tomlin on this when he himself has said it was his fault. He should have made sure the fake was not an option in that situation, long before it ever came into a call on the field. Berry already explained how the other 10 guys got notice of the changeup but he didn't -- standing 15 yards back, he couldn't hear that the fake had been nixed. Tomlin has to know that could be an issue. Attention to detail, my friend ... part of his job.
    Just seems odd to say Berry did his job when the other 10 players did something else.

I’ve already stated the fake punt was a bad idea.

However, I’m not going to let Beery get a pass if 10 other players were in sync and got the call.

Back in my day when 11 guys were on the field and 1 guy went the wrong way he bears some responsibility as well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Berry already said the fake punt call did not come from the sidelines, it is something built into the offense and is automatically called when they get a certain look, it was then called off by the guys up front and Berry didnt get the call. So its the players job to execute the play or call off the play, one guy didnt do his job. Either Berry needs to pay attention or Dangerfield needs to do better job of communication. Im not going to crucify the coach for making a call he didnt even make.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not going to crucify the coaching staff either, however, they should have sent the punt team out with the following instructions. Regardless of the look you get, kick the damn ball.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm not going to crucify the coaching staff either, however, they should have sent the punt team out with the following instructions. Regardless of the look you get, kick the damn ball.

Pappy
    I think that message was relayed to the signal caller and thats probably why he called off the fake despite getting the look they installed the fake specifically for.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    Tomlin specially stated that he called for the fake punt in that situation. Why would he say that, if what really happened, is that it was called off and Berry just missed the call-off? I don't buy Tomlin falling on some sword to protect anyone. He's been more than willing to crucify Rudolph as having "killed us". Why would he not explain that the fake was NOT the plan and Berry just missed the communication??

Something is off in all of the explanations.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Tomlin specially stated that he called for the fake punt in that situation. Why would he say that, if what really happened, is that it was called off and Berry just missed the call-off? I don't buy Tomlin falling on some sword to protect anyone. He's been more than willing to crucify Rudolph as having "killed us". Why would he not explain that the fake was NOT the plan and Berry just missed the communication??

Crucify is a strong word.

He benched Rudolph and then said he hopes Duck doesn’t kill us. He never said Rudolph killed us. He benched Rudolph tho, so there is that but I don’t think anyone needs to stretch Tomlins words to mean more than what he said at the time.

Maybe it’s because Berry isn’t Rudolph?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I think that message was relayed to the signal caller and thats probably why he called off the fake despite getting the look they installed the fake specifically for.
    Maybe the signal caller was mad at Berry and set him up?

j/k

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I believe Tomlin took responsibility...he always does

He is also responsible for the win too
    Yep, and I give him credit for that. As I said, overall he did a fine job with the game yesterday. He's done an outstanding job with the team this season, and if I had a vote for COTY, he'd get it.

I wouldn't have said much if anything about the fake punt call if it wasn't for the people who came on this board saying it wasn't at all on Tomlin.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

It's called leadership

By taking responsibility, Tomlin just made sure his players arent being asked "what happened" questions all week

Hate Tomlin for whatever BS reasons but you cant question his leadership abilities