Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refs Tried to Steal Win

Legend

User Info Menu

Refs Tried to Steal Win

The touchback that wasn't. This was simply NY trying to save the face of the refs. If it had been ruled a touchback on the field, guarantee NY would have upheld the call. That right there is the definition of arbitrary.

The QB false start that wasn't. Tape doesn't lie, but the refs sure did. Why didn't the others overrule the line judge.

The roughing the passer that wasn't. Textbook sack but a penalty because Dupree 'hit him too hard'.

Refs were really seeing things on the field yesterday. Glad the Steelers prevailed, but this offense is too weak to overcome refs calls on an ongoing basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The touchback that wasn't. This was simply NY trying to save the face of the refs. If it had been ruled a touchback on the field, guarantee NY would have upheld the call. That right there is the definition of arbitrary.

The QB false start that wasn't. Tape doesn't lie, but the refs sure did. Why didn't the others overrule the line judge.

The roughing the passer that wasn't. Textbook sack but a penalty because Dupree 'hit him too hard'.

Refs were really seeing things on the field yesterday. Glad the Steelers prevailed, but this offense is too weak to overcome refs calls on an ongoing basis.
    It did feel like they were working against us during the game. I also thought they could have called PI on Ward every time we threw the ball in his direction. His hands were always all over the WRs hands, arms. It wasn't significant and I see things like that slide from time to time, but not on nearly every single pass in a player's direction.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You would have thought we would have had a more seasoned ref staff with only 2 weeks removed from that episode in Cleveland. That crew far from the leagues best.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On the "touchback", I wondered at the time, if the ball was considered to be "down" immediately after the Clown grabbed it and then let it go. On that first grab, he was not in the EZ. That seems to be what they ruled and that it didn't matter that he touched it again, after sliding into the EZ. Would have been nice for the official to have explained it.

Legend

User Info Menu

All the ref had to say was i didnt realize the ball touched his knee when he was on the goaline
    The correct call would've overturned it.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    All the ref had to say was i didnt realize the ball touched his knee when he was on the goaline
    The correct call would've overturned it.
    According to the announcers, the head of officiating is saying that it didn't matter that his knee touched the ball while part of his body was across the goal line. They're saying that the ball was already considered downed, when he originally grabbed the ball and dropped it, before he was across the goal line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    According to the announcers, the head of officiating is saying that it didn't matter that his knee touched the ball while part of his body was across the goal line. They're saying that the ball was already considered downed, when he originally grabbed the ball and dropped it, before he was across the goal line.
    That’s bull. I’ve seen guys damn near take 3 step with the ball and their foot grazes the line and it’s called a touchback.

The fact they didn’t even go to the monitor but went to a phone seemed suspect as hell.

Legend

User Info Menu

The official explanation was he 'controlled the ball' prior to touching the end line. If what he did was 'controlled ' then it's a much lower standard than catching a pass while maintaining control.

Legend

User Info Menu

Then why can a player jump into the endzone and throw it back into the field of play?
    Wouldnt that be considered contrll of the ball?
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am conditioned to lose any and every challenge if it gets to al riveron