Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perspective

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I look at it this way, if the offense continues its downward spiral chances are good the Steelers will have a top 10 pick in the next few years to grab their future QB.
    The way I see it is we have a dominating defense that will get Tuitt back next year. A bunch of promising young skill players are getting experience (Cain, Whyte, Samuels, Washington, DJohnson). We are set at QB for two years with Ben playing out his contract. My biggest concern is the OL getting old. And need to upgrade the TE position. Then again if you are never going to pass to them......

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    The way I see it is we have a dominating defense that will get Tuitt back next year. A bunch of promising young skill players are getting experience (Cain, Whyte, Samuels, Washington, DJohnson). We are set at QB for two years with Ben playing out his contract. My biggest concern is the OL getting old. And need to upgrade the TE position. Then again if you are never going to pass to them......
    I like your optimism...and agree that we need a few young studs at OL to follow these guys up. I actually like our TE group. McDonald is solid when healthy...and Vannett has proven capable. Hopefully Gentry develops in the off season and makes a big jump in year 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    agreed

it may be time to invest in the OL again with that pick in the 2nd
    I wouldn't be opposed to using the 1st two picks they have on the offensive line, a tackle and a center for my money. Unfortunately, AV seems to be struggling, of course, a lot of this could be due to MR's play at the quarterback position. There will be a better feel for how the Oline functions against the Browns defense this weekend with Duck (hopefully) calling the signals.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

2.49 - Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
    3.102 - Alex Highsmith, OLB, Charlotte
    4.124 - Anthony McFarland, RB, Maryland
    4.135 - Kevin Dotson, G, Louisiana-Lafayette
    6.198 - Antoine Brooks Jr, S, Maryland
    7.232 - Carlos Davis, DL, Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There's a good chance this dominating defense loses , Dupree, Hargrave and Hilton. We might be about to sign 1 or 2 if we cut some.
    Money could be saved by releasing Chick, Barron and McDonald but you'd have to replace them with much cheaper guys.
    We are 3rd to last in the NFL in salary space. I saw around 3 million. I think I also saw where over half the league has 3 times as much and the top 4-5 have a rediculous amount.
    Like always, it will be interesting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great post!

I'd add Ben's longevity to my list of worries, but I generally think that you're right.

We'll need an answer at OLB and NT next season. I think NT isn't a huge issue because of the snap count (whoever we get to replace Hargrave will be worse, but won't have a ton of snaps). I'm worried about OLB, but hopefully good coverage and a healthy Tuitt mean that a downgrade there isn't terrible either.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    There's a good chance this dominating defense loses , Dupree, Hargrave and Hilton. We might be about to sign 1 or 2 if we cut some.
    Money could be saved by releasing Chick, Barron and McDonald but you'd have to replace them with much cheaper guys.
    We are 3rd to last in the NFL in salary space. I saw around 3 million. I think I also saw where over half the league has 3 times as much and the top 4-5 have a rediculous amount.
    Like always, it will be interesting.

My take on this, make those cuts of Chick, Barron, McDonald and maybe add Pouncey, Foster or AV to that list. There is a body on the roster at this time who is in waiting to take over.

Spend all the money our cap in resigning Hargreaves first and Dupree second. I prefer to keep Hargreaves because he is more than just a NT he is a good DL who can rotate/repalce Heyward or Tuitt when called upon. I would even cut/trade Tuitt to save money to resign Dupree. Him and Watt are playing lights out I think the key to our D playing so well. ( besides arrival of Fitz)

Another option is go about it how KC traded Ford to SF for a 1st rounder, there are plenty of teams who have multiple picks in the 1st round next year. ( Miami, Raiders, Jags)
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LOL, Pittsburgh dad is feelin our pain....

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    While we are all disappointed with this season I think we need to take a deep breath and look at the season with some perspective. We have 5 losses to the following teams:

Patriots 10-1
    Seahawks 9-2
    49ers 10-1
    Ravens 8-2
    Browns 5-6

Those are opponents with a combined record of 42-12 and the Browns make it look worse. Despite that, we are still in the WildCard hunt without our franchise QB, with our All Pro RB missing almost half the season, with more injuries that we have seen in a decade. Yesterday we were playing guys who weren't even in a Steelers uniform a week ago. Our QBs this season never played an NFL game until this season and it just shows how important the QB posirtion is and why you keep a Ben as long as you can.

While this may be a lost season for us, we have rediscovered our defense and it is elite. Young players on offense are getting experience if not putting up big numbers.

This season we are going to be in a knife fight every game. We may not make the play offs, but I'm am proud how this team is fight for every game and every possession. Sometimes really ugly and others really good.

Love being a Steelers fan.
    Awesome post Oviedo. And several times we was in the game till the end. Finally we have a DEFENCE.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I like your optimism...and agree that we need a few young studs at OL to follow these guys up. I actually like our TE group. McDonald is solid when healthy...and Vannett has proven capable. Hopefully Gentry develops in the off season and makes a big jump in year 2.
    I typically love TEs, but I don't know if I love this group because we barely use them and we have no idea what they can do. Thank you Randy Fichtner.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-26-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    Awesome post Oviedo. And several times we was in the game till the end. Finally we have a DEFENCE.
    Thanks. Perspective is always a good thing.