Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Legend

User Info Menu

Perspective

While we are all disappointed with this season I think we need to take a deep breath and look at the season with some perspective. We have 5 losses to the following teams:

Patriots 10-1
    Seahawks 9-2
    49ers 10-1
    Ravens 8-2
    Browns 5-6

Those are opponents with a combined record of 42-12 and the Browns make it look worse. Despite that, we are still in the WildCard hunt without our franchise QB, with our All Pro RB missing almost half the season, with more injuries that we have seen in a decade. Yesterday we were playing guys who weren't even in a Steelers uniform a week ago. Our QBs this season never played an NFL game until this season and it just shows how important the QB posirtion is and why you keep a Ben as long as you can.

While this may be a lost season for us, we have rediscovered our defense and it is elite. Young players on offense are getting experience if not putting up big numbers.

This season we are going to be in a knife fight every game. We may not make the play offs, but I'm am proud how this team is fight for every game and every possession. Sometimes really ugly and others really good.

Love being a Steelers fan.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Boom! Well said. I thought at the outset we’d have a bad sept with the quality of teams we faced. Still a lot of season left, but if we can get the offense to step up this year and into next - the team should be in the thick of things.

Just how we like it!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With this D, we can hang around all game long with any team in the league. But the offense is so incredibly inept from all the injuries and lack of creative play-calling, that we're just not going to beat the good teams. And I hope that the Clowns don't come in and give us a beat down again next week.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I’m on the fence. I don’t enjoy watching this offense at all. I love watching the defense but anytime we give up points I feel like it might be over because the offense isn’t reliable.

Overall I’m still enjoying the fact that we are on the hunt without a bunch of our best players.

Almost no one thought we would have 6 wins without Ben.

I had no idea the D would be this good but I’ve always felt like our team would put up a fight because we “play hard”

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Iím on the fence. I donít enjoy watching this offense at all. I love watching the defense but anytime we give up points I feel like it might be over because the offense isnít reliable.

Overall Iím still enjoying the fact that we are on the hunt without a bunch of our best players.

Almost no one thought we would have 6 wins without Ben.

I had no idea the D would be this good but Iíve always felt like our team would put up a fight because we ďplay hardĒ
    Fans may quit on this team, but they never quit on themseleves. It is a sign of great leadership among the players and by the coaches.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Let’s not forget we lost Shazier, Brown and Bell in the space of two seasons. Teams lose players all the time, but these were home-grown guys and among the top 3 in the league at their positions. And we did lose them - this wasn’t bad trades or failure to sign/$$$$. Shazier had career ending injury, Brown had a possibly career ending mental breakdown, and we tried with Bell, but couldn’t teach him basic algebra.

It’s hard to recover from all that. Even with no injury to Ben, we lost major pieces, and yet here we are, plugging away. Not bad in perspective.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

While this may be a lost season for us...
    Mike Tomlin still has a Flippy mindset and is planning on winning #7 this year.

This team might frustrate me, but I'm all in on the Lombardi until they win it or mathematically get eliminated.

SuperBowl or Bust....the only perspective that seems rationale in my mind

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Mike Tomlin still has a Flippy mindset and is planning on winning #7 this year.

This team might frustrate me, but I'm all in on the Lombardi until they win it or mathematically get eliminated.

SuperBowl or Bust....the only perspective that seems rationale in my mind
    I feel the same. There is always a chance as long as you are alive and fighting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I feel the same. There is always a chance as long as you are alive and fighting
    That first SB with a young Ben.. we were 7-5 at one point..

I think the odds are LONG but its not over til its over

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good post Ovi. It kind of is what it is.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about the Minkah Fitzpatrick trade. As great as he has played for us, I still think we needed that pick for a franchise QB. We're getting a glimpse of life without Ben and it's not pretty. The seasons not over and I don't know if we would have been in position to draft Ben's replacement in 2020, but I think the irony is that if it wasn't for Minkah, we'd have a few more losses and a higher #1 pick next year.

Thinking about this stuff makes my head hurt.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]