Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Random Questions About Our Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

2 Random Questions About Our Offense

1. Should we try to sign a FB to replace Nix? If we're going to go far, I think we need to beef up the running game. And I think the #1 thing holding us back might be the lack of Nix.

2. Why don't we involve the TEs in the passing game? IMHO, TE's stretching the middle of the field open up the running game more than anything else.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    1. Should we try to sign a FB to replace Nix? If we're going to go far, I think we need to beef up the running game. And I think the #1 thing holding us back might be the lack of Nix.

2. Why don't we involve the TEs in the passing game? IMHO, TE's stretching the middle of the field open up the running game more than anything else.
    We do incorporate the TE, prior to the bengal game Mcdonald had 7 targets in three straight games. The problem is Mason Rudolph stayed away from the middle of the field because he has trouble reading the linebackers and safeties, so he mostly stay short or to the outside because its easier to see the coverage. mcdonald is in on more than 90% of the snaps and he is rarely kept into pass protect, so its not like they are keeping the TE out of the offense, the QB is just not getting him the ball.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    We do incorporate the TE, prior to the bengal game Mcdonald had 7 targets in three straight games. The problem is Mason Rudolph stayed away from the middle of the field because he has trouble reading the linebackers and safeties, so he mostly stay short or to the outside because its easier to see the coverage. mcdonald is in on more than 90% of the snaps and he is rarely kept into pass protect, so its not like they are keeping the TE out of the offense, the QB is just not getting him the ball.
    prior to those 3 games.. Vance was targeted an average of 2 times per game (for 3 or 4 games). I give credit to as least targeting Vance more (not yesterday obviously). In the future perhaps they can do it in plays other than TE screens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Kinda hard to predict how many times the TE will be targeted going forward when we don’t even know for sure who the starter at qb is next week.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

[url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Kinda hard to predict how many times the TE will be targeted going forward when we donít even know for sure who the starter at qb is next week.
    I'll be a little surprised/disappointed if it isn't Duck next week.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Kinda hard to predict how many times the TE will be targeted going forward when we don’t even know for sure who the starter at qb is next week.
    Seems like the TE is usually the young QBs best friend. Big, easy, close check down target.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    prior to those 3 games.. Vance was targeted an average of 2 times per game (for 3 or 4 games). I give credit to as least targeting Vance more (not yesterday obviously). In the future perhaps they can do it in plays other than TE screens.
    But your just looking at targets, look at the number of offensive snaps Mcdonald is on the field for, he is out there on pass patterns, there is nothing preventing our QB from throwing him the ball. If we want the TE involved then its up to the QB, all the OC can do is call the play, he cant throw the ball for the QB.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many plays are being run for the TEs? Not just targets after all else has been exhausted, but plays in which VM is the primary target?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    How many plays are being run for the TEs? Not just targets after all else has been exhausted, but plays in which VM is the primary target?
    Thank you.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We don’t know how many plays are targeted to the TE. If he’s covered, you don’t throw to him and maybe that’s why some of these plays look broken?

All I know is Mason threw 2 TD’s to Vance the first game vs Seattle so I just knew he would be a favorite weapon for Mason.

IMO he probably threw too many passes to Washington because he is familiar with him.

Can’t blame the OC for all of Masons woes.