Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben, MR and Duck

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good article on Hodges:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1...arterback-rise

Here's a couple of tidbits:

Hodges played extremely well against the big time programs:

"Although Florida State won 36-26 by scoring two touchdowns in the final five minutes, Hodges racked up 475 yards while putting the college football world on upset notice. The same thing had happened two years earlier, when Hodges threw for 468 yards and four touchdowns in a 56-41 loss to Mississippi State."

Hodges & Washington:

"In six NFL games with Rudolph starting, Washington recorded just 295 yards with one touchdown. In the three halves since Rudolph was benched in favor of Hodges, Washington has 203 yards with two scores, including a career-high 111 yards against the Browns.

Of course, Washington and Duck are now hunting buddies. Sorry you didnít get the invite, Mason!"

Hodges so far in limited action:

"Hodges is averaging 8.7 yards per attempt, which would put him second among all quarterbacks in 2019 if he were to have played enough to qualify for the NFL leader board. Rudolph, meanwhile, ranks 32nd out of 33 qualified quarterbacks".

Legend

User Info Menu

The difference in MR and Duck is best displayed in the responses they had to questions after their first action this season.

When asked if they were ready/prepared to play, MR said he needs the majority of the practice reps....Duck said he was ready to roll in a few seconds after he knew he was going in for MR.

Duck isnít overwhelmed. MR still is imho. The players see it and they play harder for Duck. After hearing some comments from Pouncey about Duck, it solidifies the team is behind him. And my conspiracy theory now is Pouncey was snapping all over the place for MR so weíd have to put Duck in.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The difference in MR and Duck is best displayed in the responses they had to questions after their first action this season.

When asked if they were ready/prepared to play, MR said he needs the majority of the practice reps....Duck said he was ready to roll in a few seconds after he knew he was going in for MR.

Duck isn’t overwhelmed. MR still is imho. The players see it and they play harder for Duck. After hearing some comments from Pouncey about Duck, it solidifies the team is behind him. And my conspiracy theory now is Pouncey was snapping all over the place for MR so we’d have to put Duck in.
    Pouncey = sabotage!?! Wow flippy, we'll find out soon enough. And for Hodges being shorter than Rudolph, Pouncey's skyballing could be a problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I’m not buying that the team plays harder for Duck. They play hard regardless of who is inserted to jump start a struggling offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I’m not buying that the team plays harder for Duck. They play hard regardless of who is inserted to jump start a struggling offense.
    yup

Legend

User Info Menu

I am most interested to see if Hodges can alter his game as more tape on him gets out there. He has weaknesses in his game but is he willing and able to make changes to overcome? That's the key to long term success...
    He's not the pure athlete, so it will take some bit of saviness on his part.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I am most interested to see if Hodges can alter his game as more tape on him gets out there. He has weaknesses in his game but is he willing and able to make changes to overcome? That's the key to long term success...
    He's not the pure athlete, so it will take some bit of saviness on his part.
    I don't think he really did anything that teams would have to go out of their way to game plan for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't think he really did anything that teams would have to go out of their way to game plan for.
    Double Washington and that's 1/2 his yards taken away.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Double Washington and that's 1/2 his yards taken away.
    I don't think it's that simple.

Legend

User Info Menu

This article is before the Browns game, but some interesting insights into Hodges from the Steelers. The arm strength concerns are real, based on a few deep passes I've seen from him. The comparison to Minshew I think is a good one:

Move to Devlin Hodges well-received throughout Steelers organization, but concerns remain about arm strength
    Hodges will be making his second start of the season after Mike Tomlin made a quarterback switch this week
    Jason La Canfora
    mugshot by Jason La Canfora
    @JasonLaCanfora
    Dec 1, 2019 at 7:57 am ET ē 1 min read

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin turned back to rookie Devlin "Duck" Hodges as his starting quarterback with seemingly little public conviction this week, although the move was well received throughout the organization, sources said.

Mason Rudolph's propensity for turnovers was undermining the team's chances to win, and the staff hopes that Hodges's ability to scramble and make plays opens up an offense that has been stifled for much of the season. Injuries to running back James Conner and receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster have complicated matters, and Hodges' improvisational skills may be at a premium as the Steelers play critical games against the Browns and Bills the next two weeks.

Some within the organization were surprised that Tomlin did not stick with Hodges longer after he won a game in relief of Rudolph earlier this season; both quarterbacks were rushed into duty due to Ben Roethlisberger's season-ending elbow injury. Hodges brings a different energy to the huddle and plays with a carefree confidence that immediately endeared the undrafted free agent to coaches and teammates.

However, there are some concerns about Hodges' ability to push the ball down field (Rudolph has a much bigger arm), especially with winter upon us and the wind and cold a real factor in the AFC North. Arm strength was not one of the strong suits in his scouting report, and could be a limiting factor for the undrafted free agent. Otherwise, Hodges's skillset has earned some comparisons to Gardner Minshew within the Steelers organization; Minshew had a strong half-season of work for the Jaguars as a rookie sixth-round pick before veteran Nick Foles was given the staring job back after returning from injury.