Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Ben, MR and Duck

  1. #1
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Ben, MR and Duck

    With 6 games left in the season, some thoughts on our QB situation, now and in the future.

    Ben-I kind of feel like Bens elbow was never good this year. He almost seemed to short-arm a number of passes and didn’t have the accuracy. I know he generallyt is a little slow getting to speed in the early season almost every year, but he just didn’t seem right to me. That said, if he has a good recovery, he will be our starter in 2020.

    MR-needs to show something this week and the rest of the year. If we win the next few and are in the playoff hunt, Id keep him in there. If he falters and our playoff chances fizzle, I’d let Duck play the last 2-3 games. Mason seems to lack confidence, timing, accuracy and velocity. He’s incredibly frustrating, and doesn’t seem to have an ounce of ”it” factor (like Wilson, Rogers, Brees, etc). If he throws 25 he passes a game, 10 are of the ”excuse me/pardon me ” type (like he’s trying to throw and catch the ball at the same time), 5 are prayers (20 yards or more), 5 are check downs, and 5 are grip and rip (I.e. confident). I just doubt he’ll ever get to the point where he will grip and rip over 50% of the time. I appreciate his caution, but can’t see him being more than a capable if unspectacular #2. His ceiling is no more than Neil O’Donnell , if that high. Wish it were different.

    Duck-I’d sign him up to be our #3 for the next 10 years today, if I could. I’d feel perfectly fine if injuries forced him to be #2 a few times a year. Smart, confident, accurate. Lacks size and arm-strength.

    Future-Ben is next years starter unless the injury is career ending. Mason is a capable #2, but I don’t think he’s Bens heir apparent. And as I said, I’d keep Duck around forever as my #3 and occasional #2.

    So, with our first pick in 2020 a #2, I don‘t see us getting Bens replacement next year. I also think, based on years of tracking actual 1st round QB picks, that getting a franchise QB who also has “it” is rare.

    It may be awhile (just wait to see how long it takes the Pats after Brady’s gone). Only succession of QBs with ”it” that I can personally recall in the NFL is Montana-Young. Think about that...

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    With hindsight being 20/20 we could have easily drafted Lamar Jackson. Now LJ and his team are going to own the AFC North for the next 5-6 years.

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Not defending Rudolphs play but who has stepped up on offense to help him out?
    Holton cant catch
    JuJu has dropped quite a few passes
    McDonald gets no separation
    We have a non existant running game
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    With hindsight being 20/20 we could have easily drafted Lamar Jackson. Now LJ and his team are going to own the AFC North for the next 5-6 years.
    it's possible. but i saw a stat comparing LJ to the best running QB's of all time - none of them every won anything of significance. His ability to pass accurately (which seems promising) is his future in my opinion. A couple of years running like this and if that's all he has - i'm not sold on his long-term viability.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerMaine83 View Post
    With 6 games left in the season, some thoughts on our QB situation, now and in the future.

    Ben-I kind of feel like Bens elbow was never good this year. He almost seemed to short-arm a number of passes and didn’t have the accuracy. I know he generallyt is a little slow getting to speed in the early season almost every year, but he just didn’t seem right to me. That said, if he has a good recovery, he will be our starter in 2020.

    MR-needs to show something this week and the rest of the year. If we win the next few and are in the playoff hunt, Id keep him in there. If he falters and our playoff chances fizzle, I’d let Duck play the last 2-3 games. Mason seems to lack confidence, timing, accuracy and velocity. He’s incredibly frustrating, and doesn’t seem to have an ounce of ”it” factor (like Wilson, Rogers, Brees, etc). If he throws 25 he passes a game, 10 are of the ”excuse me/pardon me ” type (like he’s trying to throw and catch the ball at the same time), 5 are prayers (20 yards or more), 5 are check downs, and 5 are grip and rip (I.e. confident). I just doubt he’ll ever get to the point where he will grip and rip over 50% of the time. I appreciate his caution, but can’t see him being more than a capable if unspectacular #2. His ceiling is no more than Neil O’Donnell , if that high. Wish it were different.

    Duck-I’d sign him up to be our #3 for the next 10 years today, if I could. I’d feel perfectly fine if injuries forced him to be #2 a few times a year. Smart, confident, accurate. Lacks size and arm-strength.

    Future-Ben is next years starter unless the injury is career ending. Mason is a capable #2, but I don’t think he’s Bens heir apparent. And as I said, I’d keep Duck around forever as my #3 and occasional #2.

    So, with our first pick in 2020 a #2, I don‘t see us getting Bens replacement next year. I also think, based on years of tracking actual 1st round QB picks, that getting a franchise QB who also has “it” is rare.

    It may be awhile (just wait to see how long it takes the Pats after Brady’s gone). Only succession of QBs with ”it” that I can personally recall in the NFL is Montana-Young. Think about that...
    If MR struggles tomorrow in the 1st half and the Steelers are losing, I hope they put Duck in for the 2nd half to try and win the game. I wouldn't wait at this point if they still have aspirations of being in the playoffs.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Not defending Rudolphs play but who has stepped up on offense to help him out?
    Holton cant catch
    JuJu has dropped quite a few passes
    McDonald gets no separation
    We have a non existant running game
    I think Juju has 2 drops.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  7. #7
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    If MR struggles tomorrow in the 1st half and the Steelers are losing, I hope they put Duck in for the 2nd half to try and win the game. I wouldn't wait at this point if they still have aspirations of being in the playoffs.

    Pappy
    IF this happens...I would see NO reason not to!

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Not defending Rudolphs play but who has stepped up on offense to help him out?
    Holton cant catch
    JuJu has dropped quite a few passes
    McDonald gets no separation
    We have a non existant running game
    The answer is nobody. MR could be a decent QB with a solid supporting cast. Its unfortunate that his first (and lasting) impression is coming with such a talent depleted unit

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Not defending Rudolphs play but who has stepped up on offense to help him out?
    Holton cant catch
    JuJu has dropped quite a few passes
    McDonald gets no separation
    We have a non existant running game
    This is true. MR has had little to no help while trying to learn on the job. If we had healthy RBs the story might be different. I have to say, I am disappointed with the WRs this season. Their performance deserves as much if not more scrutiny than MR

    I still think MR will be a solid NFL starter along the lines of a Derek Carr. He can win games but won't be able to do it on his own.

  10. #10
    Backup

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This is true. MR has had little to no help while trying to learn on the job. If we had healthy RBs the story might be different. I have to say, I am disappointed with the WRs this season. Their performance deserves as much if not more scrutiny than MR

    I still think MR will be a solid NFL starter along the lines of a Derek Carr. He can win games but won't be able to do it on his own.
    I totally agree that injuries and the level of play of his supporting cast have been a great detriment to his development and play, but I also don’t like a number of things I see in him on a consistent basis, such as inability to read what’s going on and the ability to put it in a tight window like NFL QBs have to, as well as his lack of pocket presence.

    Does Derek Carr = Neil O’Donnell?!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •