Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Racial Accusations against Mason

Legend

User Info Menu

Myles Garrett again alleges Mason Rudolph called him a racial slur, sparking brawl

Jake Trotter
    ESPN Staff Writer

Cleveland Browns defensive end Myles Garrett again alleged that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph used a racial slur toward him just prior to the brawl at the end of their November game.

"He called me the N-word," Garrett told Outside The Lines' Mina Kimes during an interview that airs Thursday night on SportsCenter. "He called me a 'stupid N-word.'"

The NFL suspended Garrett indefinitely for ripping Rudolph's helmet off and hitting him in the head with it during the Browns' 21-7 win on Nov. 14. The incident ended up costing him the final six games of the regular season and roughly $1.2 million in pay, plus a fine of $45,623.

Garrett was reinstated by the league on Wednesday.

The star defensive player first asserted during his appeals hearing for the suspension that Rudolph incited him with a racial slur, ESPN reported previously. Garrett later said he never intended for the accusation to become public, but added: "I know what I heard."

An NFL spokesman said the league "found no such evidence" that Rudolph used the slur and upheld the suspension.

Rudolph has called the allegation "totally untrue."

"I couldn't believe it," the quarterback said Nov. 24. "I couldn't believe he would go that route after the fact."

In Thursday's interview with ESPN, Garrett recounted a different version of events and blamed Rudolph for starting the fight that led to the discipline of 33 total players and fines amounting to $732,422.

"When he said it, it kind of sparked something, but I still tried to let it go and still walk away," Garrett said. "But once he came back, it kind of reignited the situation. And not only have you escalated things past what they needed to be with such little time in the game left, now you're trying to reengage and start a fight again. It's definitely not entirely his fault; it's definitely both parties doing something that we shouldn't have been doing.

"I don't say the N-word, whether it's with 'a' [or] 'er.' To me personally, just shouldn't be said, and whether it's by family, friends, anyone. I don't want to use it because I don't want [people to] find that appropriate around me for anyone to use."

The Steelers ran a final play with eight seconds left on the clock. Rudolph initially tussled with Garrett on the ground, then charged at him after Garrett forcibly removed Rudolph's helmet. At that point, Garrett slugged Rudolph over the head with it.

The league fined the Browns and the Steelers $250,000 each. Without Garrett, Cleveland's defense cratered down the stretch en route to a 6-10 finish.

Reached for comment, the Steelers on Thursday deferred to their November statement, which read in part, "Mason vehemently denies the report of being accused of using a racial slur during the incident."

Rudolph's agent and attorney, Tim Younger, was unavailable for comment Thursday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...sparking-brawl

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    This. I very much doubt Mason said racist words -- among other things, the guys defending him physically out there are also African American. *Even* if he's a bigot, I'd assume he has more sense than to incense the people who have his back.

When this kind of fake stuff is pulled out of bogus hats, it gives all the numerous *real* instances of bigotry a pass -- they get lumped with the fakes. It does everyone an injustice.
    I’m from Western PA. I played with those type of guys. Played against those type of guys.

I would’ve defended my teammates in the same way if we were losing badly and one of my teammates was beat over the head with a helmet regardless of what was said at the time.

I would definitely have words for him afterward tho.

We had players who despised each other but we still fought alongside each other during games against a common enemy.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mason should just say Garrett called him the c-word first and that's what started it.
    That would end all this BS.
    In the last decade, 25% of the league has won a super bowl(the Steelers aren't one of them) and 25% have as many or more playoff wins as the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1. No one else heard it. No Steelers, no Browns and no microphones all over the field.

2. Don't remember how long it was but he didn't bring this up right away. If it were me, its the first thing I would have said to somehow explain my actions.

3. Garret is going to kill someone on the football field. Mark it down. I wonder how the NFL will sweep that under the rug?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    1. No one else heard it. No Steelers, no Browns and no microphones all over the field.

2. Don't remember how long it was but he didn't bring this up right away. If it were me, its the first thing I would have said to somehow explain my actions.

3. Garret is going to kill someone on the football field. Mark it down. I wonder how the NFL will sweep that under the rug?
    Yup, Common sense.
    Funny he waited until he was reinstated to continue with his lie.
    Why not be all over the media the last few months?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post

1. Garrett isn’t going to kill anyone on the field. How could you suggest such a thing?

2. The NFL also said they never saw the Ray Rice tape. Not saying Rudolph said it but the NFL is pretty good at destroying evidence.

3. It makes no sense for Garrett to continue to say it while suspended. Also, even if it was said it’s still no excuse for Garrett’s actions.
    ILB
    DL
    S
    RB
    WR
    LB

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    1. Garrett isn’t going to kill anyone on the field. How could you suggest such a thing?

2. The NFL also said they never saw the Ray Rice tape. Not saying Rudolph said it but the NFL is pretty good at destroying evidence.

3. It makes no sense for Garrett to continue to say it while suspended. Also, even if it was said it’s still no excuse for Garrett’s actions.
    1. If the helmet was inverted when he hit Rudolph, there is a good chance he would have already killed someone. That's how.

2. The Ray Rice tape came from a hotel security camera. Not the cameras/microphones operated by the NFL. But yes, no one but Garret heard it

3. It makes no sense for Garret to continue saying it at all. Anyone not looking to make this a racial issue knows he is lying.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cleveland Browns Defender Myles Garrett Remains Clueless Regarding His Assault With A Helmet

Terence Moore
    Feb 14, 2020

So NFL officials blew it with Myles Garrett.

He still doesn’t get it.

Down the stretch of a home game last November for the Cleveland Browns, he embarrassed himself, his team and the league by ripping the helmet off Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph during a brawl, and then he bashed the guy over the head with it.

The NFL suspended Garrett indefinitely, but “indefinitely” lasted until Wednesday.

Garrett also lost $1.2 million of his salary from the Browns as their splendid defensive end after what became a six-game suspension for his meltdown, and he forfeited another $45,623 through a fine.

What a joke, but nobody should be laughing.

The NFL needed “indefinitely” regarding Garrett’s suspension to extend through at least the 2020 season, and the money zapped out of his bank account wasn’t enough.

Garrett keeps yapping away, showing few signs (OK, no signs) of regret for doing something that would put most folks in the slammer.

"He called me the N-word," Garrett said of Rudolph to Outside The Lines reporter Mina Kimes during an interview that aired Thursday night on ESPN. "He called me a 'stupid N-word.’ When he said it, it kind of sparked something, but I still tried to let it go and still walk away.

“But once he came back, it kind of reignited the situation. And not only have you escalated things past what they needed to be with such little time in the game left, now you're trying to re-engage and start a fight again.

“It's definitely not entirely his fault. It’s definitely both parties doing something that we shouldn't have been doing.”

No, Myles. It’s your fault, period.

Never mind the NFL fined 33 players overall a total of $732,422 for their part in the mess, and each team was docked $250,000 each by the league. It’s also irrelevant Rudolph wasn’t suspended by NFL officials while receiving a $50,000 fine for his actions that weren’t the best.

Garrett deserved much, much more. Not only that, but he shouldn’t escape further punishment now.

Such is the case, not just because he’s the only one claiming Rudolph wasn’t exactly humming “We shall overcome” after they wrestled on the ground following his sack of Rudolph with eight seconds left during an eventual 21-7 victory for the Browns.

Rudolph denied using the N-word, of course. He said the allegations were “totally untrue,” and NFL officials said back then (and again this week) they’ve found “no such evidence” Rudolph said what Garrett claimed he said.

Consider, too, there isn’t a bigger clique than players inside of a locker room or a clubhouse. That’s especially true when it comes to rallying around somebody whose star shines as brightly as that of Garrett, a 24-year-old Pro Bowl player who just finished his third NFL season.

Soon after the helmet controversy, Cleveland.com Browns reporter Mary Kay Cabot spoke to eight of Garrett’s teammates who said they believed his account of the incident, but guess what?

None of those teammates told anybody on or off the record that they heard what Garrett said he heard.

Nobody did.

So what if Rudolph did say what Garrett said he said? Garrett still wouldn’t have been justified to swing a six-pound object with rough edges in anger against the skull of somebody across the way.

You know, without severe consequences.

Garrett got away with it, though.

At the time of his attack against Rudolph, the Browns led the NFL in most penalties (87), most yards penalized (822) and most ejections (4). Garrett entered that Steelers game with five penalties for a combination of roughing the passer, unsportsmanlike conduct, unnecessary roughness and personal fouls.

So here’s what Garrett should do now . . .

Just shut up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terence.../#8975ad3e6cf0

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A tarnished reputation makes you say dumb things to justify stupid actions. Perfect examples are Garrett and AB.

Even Browns players that were around the play said they didn’t hear anything racial. Looks like he needs another curb stomp from Pouncey.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When you double down on an obvious lie; it doesn't make anyone suddenly believe you; they just believe you're incapable of telling the truth. Garrett is as dumb as a bag of hammers.