Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Are NFLís Worst Short Yardage Team (And Itís Not Close)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Thing is, the contracts kind of mean that MR probably won't be our starter anyway.

He ideally sits next year and the year after. Otherwise we eat a huge cap hit.

Then his contract is over. His play this season so far doesn't scream, extend for big money. Maybe that changes but I won't be holding my breath.

MR's contract kind of made him expendable IMO once we extended Ben. His play hasn't changed my mind.
    You sound pretty confident Roethlisberger will play a full season when he returns. I am thinking odds are that he won't. A year older, leaky OL, shaky run game. Recipe for some ferocious pass rushing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    That was just one game.

While Iím definitely not opposed to giving Duck a shot it may mean the end of the Mason experiment even if Duck fails.
    I get that it's one game, but find me 1 game where Mason's results on 3rd/4th down have been good. Mason has a lot of games of under performance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    You sound pretty confident Roethlisberger will play a full season when he returns. I am thinking odds are that he won't. A year older, leaky OL, shaky run game. Recipe for some ferocious pass rushing.
    I'm confident he's still on the roster.

I am also confident that the O line can still pass protect. They've been excellent outside of the road Thursday game. I don't think they are "leaky". They aren't good at run blocking for average to below average backs, but they are doing great work protecting novice QBs.

Maybe Mr gets some more starts next year, but that's definitely not the plan.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I get that it's one game, but find me 1 game where Mason's results on 3rd/4th down have been good. Mason has a lot of games of under performance.
    I probably can’t but that still doesn’t mean I can’t find stats that work in Masons favor over 1 game.

Pretty sure I could pull up Ducks success passing the ball over 20 yards and show nothing but an INT.

Doesn’t mean he isn’t better than Mason at tossing the rock deep.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Unless his arm is shot I don’t see why he wouldn’t come back physically.

Now mentally, if he doesn’t want to play anymore I could understand why.

Physically though, and with this defense, I can’t see Ben not coming back and wanting to show he still has it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I probably can’t but that still doesn’t mean I can’t find stats that work in Masons favor over 1 game.

Pretty sure I could pull up Ducks success passing the ball over 20 yards and show nothing but an INT.

Doesn’t mean he isn’t better than Mason at tossing the rock deep.
    I don't think we're necessarily at this point, but at some point the "guy did OK in one game" should get the nod over the "guy who hasn't looked good over several games".

I don't think that we'll pull the plug on Mason this year because I think this year is about trying to see if he can develop (despite the Minkah trade).
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I don't think we're necessarily at this point, but at some point the "guy did OK in one game" should get the nod over the "guy who hasn't looked good over several games".

I don't think that we'll pull the plug on Mason this year because I think this year is about trying to see if he can develop (despite the Minkah trade).
    If Mason was some UFDA or journeyman I would agree but we moved up to get Mason so I think we are going to give him a full season before moving on.

As much as I want to see us win out I can’t see us benching Mason given all the injuries to the supporting cast. He would have to have another 4INT game and look down right dreadful or even injured for Duck to get a shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    No FB equals no short yardage..
    You can line up as many Olineman as you want but if the defense beats you to a spot your dead in the backfield.
    Somebody posted a compilation of all the 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 failures, and a common theme is that there was no fullback in any of them. The Steelers seem to love using Banner (which makes sense) and then adding 2 more TEs to the right side of the line. I hate that alignment and it doesn't have much success. I'd rather see a fullback, hback, whatever - somebody who is a lead blocker.

It's also apparent that Fichtner does not do well with using scheme to get guys open on those plays. There were a few drops, too, but the scheme isn't helping.
    Last edited by phillyesq; 11-19-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unless his arm is shot I don’t see why he wouldn’t come back physically.

Now mentally, if he doesn’t want to play anymore I could understand why.

Physically though, and with this defense, I can’t see Ben not coming back and wanting to show he still has it.
    I'm not questioning his coming back. I am questioning the idea that he plays a full 16 game season when he does come back.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not questioning his coming back. I am questioning the idea that he plays a full 16 game season when he does come back.
    a full 16-game season for Ben probably would have been unlikely, even if he hadn't gotten knocked out for the year with the elbow injury