Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Way too early looking towards FA/Draft

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    What really needs to be determined is the following:

Are the problems the Steeler offense is having due to Ben Roethlisberger not being under center?

Does he make the WRs better?
    Does he improve the O-line by getting rid of the ball in a timely fashion?
    Does he make the running game better because he's a threat to complete a pass 15-20 yards downfield every time he drops back?
    Will the defense be even better when they aren't asked to play 3-4 extra drives per game because the offense moves the football?

IMO, Ben is the key to next year, if he comes back and can play at a relatively high level, the team can have success and begin to rebuild the areas that need to be rebuilt. Keeping Ben may cause the Steelers to have a hard time signing some players that they want to keep (Dupree, Hargrave, Haden, others).

Mason Rudolph needs to step up and make some plays, I'm hoping the mini-bye week will help get him prepared for Cincy and he has a good game including the offense scoring 24 or more points. Then, hopefully, he can carry that into the Browns game the following week at home and the Steelers get on a 2 game win streak with 5 to play.

If he struggles in the Cincy game, I hope Hodges gets a chance with the game in the balance and not like the Bears, waiting until there's 5 minutes left in the game to realize your QB is not winning this game for you. Halftime or sooner, after that, just let Rudolph finish what he started and hope the defense can somehow win the game.

Pappy
    100% agree Pappy.

I think a good QB makes all the WRs better. I think we currently have a below average starting QB making the WRs worse. Mostly because JuJu is considerably worse than he was with an above average QB. But, with AB not being here I am only guessing about how much of his drop in performance is MR and how much is no AB.

But, I believe that Ben coming back will make a difference. Provided Ben is still somewhere close to Ben of last year. If he comes back as end of career Favre, then we're pretty much screwed because he's hitting the cap for a big number for 2 years after this season.

So...we don't really have much choice but to put all our eggs in the Big Ben basket IMO.

Hoping that we can keep the D very good despite probable departures (Dupree, Hargrave, Hilton...anyone else?). Actually hoping for extending Ben to get some cap room to bring back at least Dupree. But, maybe that's pooching the future.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Starter

User Info Menu

Hoping that we can keep the D very good despite probable departures (Dupree, Hargrave, Hilton...anyone else?).

I thought Hargrave was supposed to have a breakout year. To me it seem he has done little. I think we are better prepared to lose him than we are to lose Dupree. We've got Big Dan at NT. To me thats a better option than Chick at OLB. I was hoping Ola would have a breakout year but it doesnt seem to be there. Maybe we can pick up Tuzar in the offseason.

On offense I was thinking it would be nice to have Freiermuth from Penn State at the TE but he will probably be gone by the end of the second round when we pick.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Hoping that we can keep the D very good despite probable departures (Dupree, Hargrave, Hilton...anyone else?).

I thought Hargrave was supposed to have a breakout year. To me it seem he has done little. I think we are better prepared to lose him than we are to lose Dupree. We've got Big Dan at NT. To me thats a better option than Chick at OLB. I was hoping Ola would have a breakout year but it doesnt seem to be there. Maybe we can pick up Tuzar in the offseason.

On offense I was thinking it would be nice to have Freiermuth from Penn State at the TE but he will probably be gone by the end of the second round when we pick.
    Hargrave has been very good, IMO. Big Dan isn't close to being the player Hargrave is. You could be right, though, that Hargrave would be easier to replace than Bud. I really don't know how easy it is to find a NT that will fit our system well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hargrave has had a solid year. He will be tough to replace.

Replacing Bud, however, will be very difficult, if not impossible...and plugging in a lesser talent opposite TJ will completely change the look of this defense (for worse).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post

I agree that Bud is more important than Hargrave. But the argument I'd make is snap count.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-19-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know it was only one game vs the Pats and a half vs Seattle but I don’t think our running game, WR’s or OL looked good with Ben.

I know we start slow but I think some of these issues it’s the offense are due to losing AB and our OL getting long in the tooth.

Ben was still trying to make Switzer an actual WR option too... smh.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I know it was only one game vs the Pats and a half vs Seattle but I don’t think our running game, WR’s or OL looked good with Ben.

I know we start slow but I think some of these issues it’s the offense are due to losing AB and our OL getting long in the tooth.

Ben was still trying to make Switzer an actual WR option too... smh.
    You sound as though you think it was only Ben's idea to keep Switzer around. Maybe that's the case, but I haven't seen the evidence.

After thinking about what you've posted, I'm wondering if you have some kind of an anti-Ben agenda. If so, why?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    Yeah I know it is way too freaking early, but I am already trying to figure out what our weakness and our greatest needs. This is a tough year to figure it out, especially were we thought we had strenghth and potential (OL, WR, QB, RB) is becoming a need and where was a weakness ( DB LB ) is becoming a weakness.

My early evaluations:

QB- is BB going to be healthy able to play? If he comes back and not the BB we know, is he smart enough to play like how Manning did as a game manager, or is his ego going to be his downfall.
    - Rudulf is still a mystery, we are going to have to bring in competion, who knows maybe we get lucky in draft and out plays him.

RB- one phrase, ' best asset is availabilty' but from what I am seeing none of our young backs have that.

WR- are they that bad with all those drops or is the QB play to blame. Potential appears to be there, but Lima Sweedy also had great potential.

TE- for years now I wanted a play maker here... wanted Goedert (spelling) and he is killing it in PHILLY, wanted Moreau and he looks way better than Vanimal and should I say durable. But with Nick V aboard, need to sign him again, I think we are ok here.

DL- Heyward and Tuitt are great, but long time both have finished out a season together. Need to keep Hargove, need to add more depth.

OLB- need to keep Dupree, keep him and fanchise him or trade him for draft picks after we franchise him, just how KC did with (insert name) last year. But i think we should keep him, we have absolutly nothing in the wings availble to start.

ILB- good base here, Bush is going to be a stud, V Willims has his limits, but a leader and solid, he is still the man.

DBS- What a flip looks like we actually have players there. Add in Sutton and Hilton we have some good young depth.

As I was writing this I am even more confused on which way to go, our Offense is our biggest weakness, but I hope we go D and OL early and often in the draft and free agency ( this includes resigning Dupree & Hargrove and our own FA). Add another play maker at ILB, just imagine another play maker in the front 7.

The reason behind my thoughts, if Ben is able to come back healthy we eliminates more than half the O problems. The playbook and OL is made for him. He will put the ball on money for these young WR, TE, and RB. Huge risk I know betting on BB coming back 100 %.

With the blue prints we have on D, with an above decent offense we can have shot at the superbowl, just like the Broncos did.

I am also looking at how Indy built that team up through a strong OL and defense.
    Great analysis!! I don't know what's wrong with WRs. Sometimes difficult catch, other easy balls drop.

Bad drafts and heavy on defense are penalised the offense. Now the offense is the problem and there are important players on the defense becoming FA in the off-season. If we aren't able to re-sign Dupree and Big Ben is not Big anymore we are doomed.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You sound as though you think it was only Ben's idea to keep Switzer around. Maybe that's the case, but I haven't seen the evidence.

After thinking about what you've posted, I'm wondering if you have some kind of an anti-Ben agenda. If so, why?
    He’s hated Ben for years and always tries to belittle him as much as possible.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Hes hated Ben for years and always tries to belittle him as much as possible.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN