Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick thoughts week 11

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

quick thoughts week 11

Upsetting lose, team looked over matched.

Defense played well enough, but with all those 3 and outs, and no points, or life from the offense it sealed our doom.

We are a mess on O... all around there is no talent.

1) Our OL is looking bad... somewhere during the browns game I was thinking come on time to rewind to last weeks line up... get Foster out of there, put Feiler there, and allow Okar play RT. This line is going to be even worse state next year. Foster, Pouncey older, Finney and Feiler FAs. We might have to got OL with our 1 st pick .

2) Conner this guy... love him but it seems his hard running is already catching up to him. He can't stay healthy. Did he rush coming back off his injury or was it just a fluke he got messed up again. We are going to have to take a long look at him going forward. Not his play but his dependability.

3) Mason actually did it, for a few weeks I was thinking to myself, his ball placement and errons throws are going to kill the WRs. At times during the game I was thinking ok, he looks the part, and boom something horrible happens. Drops, sacks, pressure, fumbles, and those damn interceptions. I think the Burnett one was bad luck. The one thrown to that new guy ( Taylor) was again Mason throwing behind the receivers. Is it a timing issue with his WRs or is it his reads too slow? The last one I think it was just frustration and desperation...

Looks like those "baby steps" from two weeks were actually just that "baby steps". He looked lost, maybe it was the short week and he needs those extra days to prepare for games. I heard he was a student of the game, but maybe as a student he needed the time to prepare. Biggest game of his NFL life next week, if he does a repeat performance, he is done. He need to show heart, and ability to put bad games behind him, and prove he belongs.

4) Washington... I can't say WRs since they all were knocked out. All I kept on hearing from Tomlin about him was his combat catches, which I have not seen yet. He just frustrates me... That one deep pass he dropped when we were down 7 (7-14) he should of caught that. I think that was game, when he lost that combat catch. Too many drops by the WRs...

5) In game decisions/ script, I guess it is easier now to second guess the decisions. Why go for it 4th and short, when on 3rd down and short you pass deep. Should of played more conservative. Punt the ball, pin them deep. With this defense we have, and lack of offense, you have to win the game by field possession. Maybe Mayfeild chokes being pinned back, and turnover. Give the offense short field to restart again.

Other thing, when we were down by 7 and stopped them start the 3rd. It looked as if we abandoned the run too quickly, too many deep passes and to whom... Holten of all the people.... why?
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

We were done at 0-3.

But before Ben’s injury, there was a troubling casual attitude he displayed that had me upset. And... we were not able to run the ball then as well.

So to me, the lack of running game does not fall on our poor qb play.

We stink on offense in all departments. But the core of any good functioning offense is the offensive line. Management must get the O-line up to standard before you can asses anything else. How can you asses anything else with a badly performing O-line?

And We do need to upgrade at the runningback position. I too love Conner but his physical style of running is destroying him. He’s hurt every other week now. We need a better runningback then we have on the roster now.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

We also need a path to find a way to get another franchise qb if management decides our QB of the future isn’t on the roster.
    Last edited by Steel Maniac; 11-16-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Conner is a china doll
    Samuels is not a starting caliber RB in the NFL
    We have no FB
    We have no TE that can get open vs. man coverage
    Fichtner has done nothing to help our offense out.
    Cant blame Mason for all our offensive woes.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I've seen it mentioned before, but I just don't see where Connor runs any harder than any other rb in the league.
    I like the guy but he is injury prone/soft.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We have a bunch of young inexperienced dudes on O. Yeah it would be great if they were great right out of the box. Truth is some of these young guys are going to need more games under their belt for us to know just what they are. MR n DJ may be good players in time. It would not be fair to expect them to be Ben n AB with less than 10 games of experience.
    It bothers me a bit that this is a learning year but the injuries have piled up. Let these last 6 games play out n we'll have a better gage then to know who can play n who can't. I'm optimistic future is good because our D is legit n should be legit for a few years.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've seen it mentioned before, but I just don't see where Connor runs any harder than any other rb in the league.
    I like the guy but he is injury prone/soft.
    I think Connor has the same problem a lot of taller RBs have—staying low. He gets thoroughly “squared” a few times each game because he’s too upright, too big of a target. Easy way to get hurt, unfortunately.

That’s why I’m a big fan of RBs 5’10” years or less, at about 210-220. Think bowling ball.

Backup

User Info Menu

Ah, tall not years

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    We have a bunch of young inexperienced dudes on O. Yeah it would be great if they were great right out of the box. Truth is some of these young guys are going to need more games under their belt for us to know just what they are. MR n DJ may be good players in time. It would not be fair to expect them to be Ben n AB with less than 10 games of experience.
    It bothers me a bit that this is a learning year but the injuries have piled up. Let these last 6 games play out n we'll have a better gage then to know who can play n who can't. I'm optimistic future is good because our D is legit n should be legit for a few years.
    True. I think the players are young and promising. If they can stay healthy, we have a good group of receivers and RBs. IMHO the Fitchner´s play calling is not helping at all. Mason´s poor play lately is in part because the OC. With a HoF QB like Big Ben, and a OL coach like Mike Munchak is easier to look a good OC.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Think about it?
    What has Finchtner done to help out our rookie QB?
    He lines him up in shotgun every play.
    We ran 1 draw vs a relentless passrush which worked and never saw it again.
    We ran 1 crappy failed screen vs. a relentless passrush.
    We run no playaction and but continually run out of the shotgun.
    You ever see us run a slant?
    How about a TE down the seam?
    Its a combination of rookie QB, injuries and questionable playcalling.
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.