Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Maybe we should’ve kept Dobbs and moved Mason

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    What's Ben doing these days?
    damned good question...still getting paid ill bet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Although I'm sure some around here would tell you he sucks in the playoffs when he doesn't have an elite D.

At least that's what they would say if they were consistent.
    His rookie year he was bad in the playoffs. Second year he was lights out in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

It might surprise you to learn Rudolph is far from the slowest passer in the league. According to nextgenstats time to throw:

Cousins 2.98
    Minshew 2.95
    Rodgers 2.90
    Allen 2.90
    Prescott 2.90
    Brissett 2.89
    Mariota 2.84
    Jackson 2.84
    Rudolph 2.83

This tells me that the real problem is Rudolph's movement (lack of) in the pocket to get away from pressure. Or it is the blocking that is far too inconsistent for Rudolph to make good passes.

I would also add, one reason why it is so noticeable with Rudolph is that fans are so accustomed to Roethlisberger's game. He was tied for #1 in the NFL for fastest release last season.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-18-2019 at 09:32 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the depot has shown several of examples of rudolph sliding into pressure instead of away from it

he has the pocket presence of a housefly

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It might surprise you to learn Rudolph is far from the slowest passer in the league. According to nextgenstats time to throw:

Cousins 2.98
    Minshew 2.95
    Rodgers 2.90
    Allen 2.90
    Prescott 2.90
    Brissett 2.89
    Mariota 2.84
    Jackson 2.84
    Rudolph 2.83

This tells me that the real problem is Rudolph's movement (lack of) in the pocket to get away from pressure. Or it is the blocking that is far too inconsistent for Rudolph to make good passes.

I would also add, one reason why it is so noticeable with Rudolph is that fans are so accustomed to Roethlisberger's game. He was tied for #1 in the NFL for fastest release last season.
    I don't think his release is a problem, it's his ability to read defenses that makes him slow.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    I don't think his release is a problem, it's his ability to read defenses that makes him slow.
    Being a fan of a team that's in the Big 12 (WVU) and watching Big 12 games every week...I can tell you ole Mason is a long ways from where he was at Ok State. I'd imagine that (Reading Defenses) should improve with experience. Time will tell.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Bad wording on my part. The stat is 'time to throw ' which I assume includes reading a defense and getting rid of the ball.

Now, is he throwing it to the right guy? That's a whole other question.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Bad wording on my part. The stat is 'time to throw ' which I assume includes reading a defense and getting rid of the ball.

Now, is he throwing it to the right guy? That's a whole other question.
    Ya but it's gets skewed by all of the short dump offs and quick throws, watching him on a drop back where he has to go thru progressions is where it is evident. Also all of the under throws and passes behind receivers are a direct result of the ball not coming out on time, because he doesn't know where the opening is going to be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the depot has shown several of examples of rudolph sliding into pressure instead of away from it

he has the pocket presence of a housefly
    Not sure you give houseflies enough credit

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Not sure you give houseflies enough credit
    Funny, I was going to comment when I first read this. I wish he had the pocket presence of a housefly. Those buggers can feel presence from all directions and get away from it. The only way you sack that kind of QB is with a giant fly swatter, and I'd have to think bringing that onto the field would be a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.