Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe we should’ve kept Dobbs and moved Mason

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree mason hasn’t shown much of anything to date.

But I also think he has no one around him. Moreover, the running game has little to do with the QB and our O-line should be embarrassed at their inability to open holes, impose their will AND convert 3rd/4th and short.

That would probably help out MR.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Yup. The ball rarely comes out quick unless it’s a fast ball for 3 yards.

While I also want Duck to get another shot I’m not lying to myself about what I saw bs the Chargers. Duck didn’t really show much either but at least he can move in the pocket.
    the game plan for duck and rudolph is to "Protect themselves against themselves".. simply to manage the game much in the way they did with Ben his first year. The playcalling and execution are not going to allow either of them to "Wow" you on a consistent basis... especially if we cant get the run game going

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Why is it always the guy on the bench is the better option?
    Because the starter is bad.
    Nobody was calling for Landry to start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    the game plan for duck and rudolph is to "Protect themselves against themselves".. simply to manage the game much in the way they did with Ben his first year. The playcalling and execution are not going to allow either of them to "Wow" you on a consistent basis... especially if we cant get the run game going
    Ben threw downfield with accuracy from DAY ONE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Ben has also been known as "Bad Ben" at times throughout his career.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    and went to the AFCCG

don't forget that

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    and went to the AFCCG

don't forget that
    he went.. but he didnt "take his team" to the AFCC like you eluded to prior.. they took him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I agree mason hasn’t shown much of anything to date.

But I also think he has no one around him. Moreover, the running game has little to do with the QB and our O-line should be embarrassed at their inability to open holes, impose their will AND convert 3rd/4th and short.

That would probably help out MR.
    IMHO a great QB makes players around him great. I think we give to many excuses for Mason. Ben won a SuperBowl with award, ARE, and Ced as his WRs.

MR’s WRs collectively might be better than that trio. He has good enough guys around him and the D has put him in more situations to succeed than just about any other QB gets.

MR doesn’t have the arm to hold the ball forever. He doesn’t have the arm to have bad footwork. He’s had some drops, but he also throws 2-3 feet behind WRs more than any QB I remember.

I’ll be the first to admit we would have to live thru growing pains with Duck, but the entire team looks energized when he’s on the field. He plays with a better tempo. He’s quick and decisive. He has all of the characteristics that MR doesn’t. It’s mostly a confidence in himself. MR doesn’t have that natural confidence. He’s all about needing practice. And that concerns me sometimes because you can never plan for protection. There is something missing with MR that he doesn’t inspire the team around him.

But I do like MRs toughness. On some level, he’s fearless. And maybe his little scuffle at the end of the Browns game will be a spark that makes everyone think differently about him. I want MR to have IT. I can’t quantify IT, but I saw it immediately in Ben. I see IT with Duck. But I feel like MR has to practice and study and is in search of IT.

I like MR, but I seriously wonder if his long term potential is to be as good as Jon Kitna or some other journey man QB with a mediocre arm.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There are a lot of “maybe” scenarios. Here’s another: Maybe we should have continued to start Duck.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    he went.. but he didnt "take his team" to the AFCC like you eluded to prior.. they took him.
    Correct. Ben was awesome his first year until the playoffs.

He was called Big Ben because he came up big in games but didn’t look good in practice.

You are correct though, his playoffs were rough and we needed 2 missed chip shots by the Jets to make the AFCCG.