Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Myles Garrett

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    There's precedent in the NHL for charges after violence exceeds what's expected in a game.

Although the two incidents I can think of (Bertuzzi and McSorley) both happened in Canada (Vancouver), so maybe it's not a legal precedent they can use?

dino ciccerelli was also charged with assault in Toronto for his stick swinging attack on richardson

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

With the loss plus the injuries, plus the suspension of Pouncey, this game qualifies as a disaster; yet “whatever” is happier than a pig in slop.
    Last edited by RobinCole; 11-16-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    dino ciccerelli was also charged with assault in Toronto for his stick swinging attack on richardson
    I remember that. As well as (I think) three Philadelphia Flyers in the '70s seeing the inside of a Toronto courtroom. Maybe it's just Toronto...lol.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    With the loss plus the injuries, plus the suspension of Pouncey, this game qualifies as a disaster; yet “whatever” is happier than a pig in slop.
    Really,
    How did you come up with that?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Happy is an understatement.

Legend

User Info Menu

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mpression=true

Source: Thursday night’s game “was like a bounty game”

Mike Florio
    3 days ago

Thursday night’s game ended with an alarming, unprecedented incident, with a player removing another player’s helmet and striking him with it. The full set of circumstances has some in the league wondering whether something more troubling was going on.

A high-level source with another team, who spoke on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the subject and league rules that prohibit the public criticism of other teams, had this to say about the situation: “If the league is serious, they should fine Browns $5 million and fine [coach Freddie Kitchens] $500,000. That was like a bounty game. There were so many unnecessary flagrant hits, and then the cherry on top.”

While Myles Garrett’s misbehavior will receive most of the attention, other illegal hits happened. Defensive back Damarious Randall applied an illegal hit to Steelers receiver Diontae Johnson, resulting in an ejection — and images of Johnson having blood running from his ear. Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster also suffered a concussion during the game, courtesy of a pair of helmet-to-helmet hits at a time when he was in a defenseless posture. (No flag was thrown.)

The Browns have played an undisciplined brand of football all year long. During training camp, the Browns engaged in joint practice with the Colts. Cleveland coach Freddie Kitchens said after a session that featured multiple fights that “we’re not going to back down to anybody.” Kitchens grew angry at having those words read back to him after Thursday night’s game, insisting that he doesn’t coach penalties.

Maybe he doesn’t coach penalties, but it would be interesting to know what the coaching staff did to get Cleveland’s players sufficiently cranked up for Thursday night’s game to result in an ejection for an illegal hit, another illegal hit that wasn’t called, and ultimately the Myles Garrett incident. While Kitchens surely never told Garrett or anyone else to remove a player’s helmet and hit him with it, it’s Kitchens’ team. He lays down the law. He says what is and isn’t acceptable. And whatever messages he and his staff communicated prior to Thursday night’s game helped set the stage for what unfolded.

Consider this, from Jeremy Fowler of ESPN: “Myles Garrett completely lost it, connected the helmet square on Mason Rudolph’s head. And the Browns were celebrating the whole thing from the sideline.” (Emphasis added.)

“The burden starts with the coach/G.M. and culture,” our source said. “The players are the students. If the players don’t learn, you need to question the teaching.”

Kitchens has admitted that he’s still learning on the job. Apparently, he hasn’t learned how to strike the right balance between getting his players sufficiently motivated for a big game against a division rival and ensuring that they don’t cross the line. The best evidence for that conclusion is that Garrett and others crossed the line.

Thus, as the NFL decides what to do about Garrett, the NFL also should consider whether it needs to investigate methods utilized by Kitchens to get his team ready to play. Although Garrett ultimately is responsible for his own actions, Kitchens is also responsible for the things his players do.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Browns media claiming Rudolph's post game made him look like an azz clown when he acted like he did nothing wrong.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Browns media claiming Rudolph's post game made him look like an azz clown when he acted like he did nothing wrong.
    He did sort of look like an azz clown, IMO. The NFL's punishment was fair. Mason should've followed Tomlin's example, and given a "no comment" ... at this point, he needs to just concentrate on playing football.

Legend

User Info Menu

Local media continues to claim Garrett's actions were very un-Garrettlike….'not known for being a dirty player'.

Yet Garrett has been fined 3 times this season alone and this is what he had to say after taking out QB Seimian:

"If I'm going to go out there and make some plays, make a lot of plays and at the backend I might get an unnecessary roughness every three or four games, I don't want to make it a habit, it's not something I want to do, but if that's what happens and I'm still making big plays consistently, I guess that's my toll," Garrett said, via Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com.

Garrett, just to make sure he got his point across, reinforced his intentions moving forward with regard to how he will continue to play on Sundays.

"I'm still going to play football the same way," he said.

When it comes to his hits on Siemian, Garrett said that he didn't intentionally mean to land on him or to hit him late. Garrett added that he hit Siemian in his chest, aka the "strike zone," in an attempt to avoid being flagged. Not only was he unsuccessful, Siemian sustained a serious injury on the second hit by Garrett during Cleveland's Week 2 victory.

"I know QBs have the most protection in the league, but at the same time, you've got to defend us as well," Garrett said. "You can't expect us to try and do every single thing to get out of the way of them and potentially risk hurting ourselves to try to keep him from touching the ground harder than laying a pillow on the bed."

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Myles Garrett alleged Mason Rudolph used racial slur during appeal

Posted by Josh Alper on November 21, 2019

Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph spoke to reporters on Wednesday for the first time since being hit in the head with his own helmet by Browns defensive end Myles Garrett near the end of the Week 11 game between the teams.

While Rudolph tried to rip Garrett’s helmet off as the two scuffled and is expected to be fined, he said he “definitely didn’t say anything” to enflame the situation ahead of getting hit with his helmet. Garrett reportedly argued otherwise during the appeal of his indefinite suspension on Wednesday.

According to a report from ESPN, Garrett accused Rudolph of using a racial slur during his initial comments at the appeal hearing overseen by appeals officer James Thrash. Thrash, who is jointly appointed by the NFL and NFLPA, reportedly “remained stoic and took copious notes” as Garrett spoke and then asked how Garrett would act differently in the future.

Garrett has made no public mention of Rudolph saying anything that provoked his response. He did apologize to Rudolph in a statement released last Friday. A previous report about Garrett’s appeal indicated it was focused on a suspension given to former Texans defensive lineman Antonio Smith for swinging his helmet at an opponent. Smith did not make contact and was suspended for two preseason games and one regular season game.

Rudolph’s attorney issued a strong denial of Garrett’s claim, which he called “reckless and shameful.” Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten released a statement as well.

“Mason vehemently denies the report of being accused of using a racial slur during the incident Thursday night in Cleveland,” Lauten said. “He will not discuss this accusation any further and his focus remains on preparation for Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.”

It’s not clear if on-field mics caught any exchange between the two players or if any such recordings have been consulted as part of the disciplinary process. A ruling on Garrett’s appeal is expected in the near future.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...d-racial-slur/