Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: You need elite players on offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    What the team/offense needs is better play out of Mason. The team will struggle to win games if that doesn't happen.
    Naaaaw; there are O- line issues as well
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Naaaaw; there are O- line issues as well
    Mason didn't have consistently good protection last night. When he had good protection he had a difficult time getting the ball to the receivers accurately.

Having good consistent QB play is the main issue with the offense. Defenses will continue to have a lack of respect for the passing game until Mason makes them pay on a consistent basis. The run game will also suffer because defenses will stack the box or play closer to the line of scrimmage.

Having bad inconsistent QB play has a trickle down effect on the entire team.

The Steelers are not the only team in the league with a QB issue. Take a look around the league and you will notice the impact of bad and inconsistent QB play.

At least the team will have a better chance to win if Mason can play better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mason didn't have consistently good protection last night. When he had good protection he had a difficult time getting the ball to the receivers accurately.

Having good consistent QB play is the main issue with the offense. Defenses will continue to have a lack of respect for the passing game until Mason makes them pay on a consistent basis. The run game will also suffer because defenses will stack the box or play closer to the line of scrimmage.

Having bad inconsistent QB play has a trickle down effect on the entire team.

The Steelers are not the only team in the league with a QB issue. Take a look around the league and you will notice the impact of bad and inconsistent QB play.

At least the team will have a better chance to win if Mason can play better.
    No disagreement with this but our problems on offense are not all MR. But he's the biggest problem on offense.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Mason is part of the problem. Oline is part of the problem.
    WR's are part of the problem.
    RB's are part of the problem.
    TE's are part of the problem.
    OC is part of the problem.
    Injuries are part of the problem.

When the keystone of the offense goes down it is a trickle down.

I really dont think having AB would do a ton. Just open up others as he would be a good decoy. As has been said before I don't think any backup QB had a TD with AB. It could be better by maybe 3-7 points with AB. Elite?

Now Bell might have a greater effect. Able to get yards even with a struggling Oline. And this Oline worked well with Bell. And his ability as a "WR" is needed. Even with Ben that is the style of offense they tried to run dumping to the RB. Maybe 6-9 points there.

Most "Rookie" QB's are going to struggle. Tough road to hoe replacing a franchise QB with the offense in transition also.

This is not the the first time the offense has struggled. I always thought this whole offense was way overrated with the "killer" B's.

I hope Ben can come back as his ability now is being a savvy vet. I do miss his magic. He might have a little left of that backyard magic but I have not really seen it his last couple seasons.

Going to be a very interesting off season. Oh and rest of this season even.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Remember bubble screens? We don’t run them much anymore.

People hated them but it was a good way to spread teams out. It’s basically a hand off to the WR.

Only screens we seem to run are middle screens and everyone is ready for it.

The running game. Welp.

The passing game? More crossing routes. I really though the TE would be Masons best friend after the Seattle game. We don’t do that anymore.

It’s like all we do is try to run the ball or throw dump offs with the occasional Hail Mary.

Hopefully we fix a few things.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Mason is part of the problem. Oline is part of the problem.
    WR's are part of the problem.
    RB's are part of the problem.
    TE's are part of the problem.
    OC is part of the problem.
    Injuries are part of the problem.

When the keystone of the offense goes down it is a trickle down.

I really dont think having AB would do a ton. Just open up others as he would be a good decoy. As has been said before I don't think any backup QB had a TD with AB. It could be better by maybe 3-7 points with AB. Elite?

Now Bell might have a greater effect. Able to get yards even with a struggling Oline. And this Oline worked well with Bell. And his ability as a "WR" is needed. Even with Ben that is the style of offense they tried to run dumping to the RB. Maybe 6-9 points there.

Most "Rookie" QB's are going to struggle. Tough road to hoe replacing a franchise QB with the offense in transition also.

This is not the the first time the offense has struggled. I always thought this whole offense was way overrated with the "killer" B's.

I hope Ben can come back as his ability now is being a savvy vet. I do miss his magic. He might have a little left of that backyard magic but I have not really seen it his last couple seasons.

Going to be a very interesting off season. Oh and rest of this season even.
    How do we even know Ben's going to still have "it" when he returns? I think that if we are putting all our eggs in Ben's basket, we could be making a mistake.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    How do we even know Ben's going to still have "it" when he returns? I think that if we are putting all our eggs in Ben's basket, we could be making a mistake.
    It's probably true.

But his cap hit means that we don't have much choice IMO
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Now Bell might have a greater effect. Able to get yards even with a struggling Oline.
    ....Laser, what are you basing this on? He is already on a team with a struggling OL and he is near last in the league in yds/att. I think you are distorting your opinion based on five year old information.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Remember bubble screens? We donít run them much anymore.

People hated them but it was a good way to spread teams out. Itís basically a hand off to the WR.

Only screens we seem to run are middle screens and everyone is ready for it.

The running game. Welp.

The passing game? More crossing routes. I really though the TE would be Masons best friend after the Seattle game. We donít do that anymore.

Itís like all we do is try to run the ball or throw dump offs with the occasional Hail Mary.

Hopefully we fix a few things.
    I think the coaches used to run bubble screens more often because they knew Ben was a slow starter.

There are a few ways the coaches can fix things.

Hope the defense shuts up the opposition and scores. Not going to happen.

Run the ball better. I doubt that will happen consistently.

Change QB's. I doubt that will happen at this point. They will wait to determine if Mason is showing growth to their liking.

Hope Mason plays better. This is what the team needs to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. Accuracy on some of the short passes were an issue for Mason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the coaches used to run bubble screens more often because they knew Ben was a slow starter.

There are a few ways the coaches can fix things.

Hope the defense shuts up the opposition and scores. Not going to happen.

Run the ball better. I doubt that will happen consistently.

Change QB's. I doubt that will happen at this point. They will wait to determine if Mason is showing growth to their liking.

Hope Mason plays better. This is what the team needs to have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. Accuracy on some of the short passes were an issue for Mason.
    That’s why I want to see the bubble screen. Give Mason some layups. Force the D to run side to side to start the game.