Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: I was wrong about Tomlin.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Anyway, I agree much hasn’t changed as far as Tomlin coaching. He hasn’t changed but the roster has improved drastically on one side of the ball and the other side has done the complete opposite.

That’s what makes this 4 game steak impressive. If you aren’t impressed, it’s because you fail to see the positive.
    I’m very impressed with the last 4 games. Just as I was very unimpressed with week 1. We have a lot of positives right now. The Steelers could make a run. I hope they do!
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've said it a thousand times, some fans are happy with above 500 and missing the playoffs or losing before they should. I'm not one of those.
    Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season, he has 6 AFC North Titles, Been to the playoffs 8 times, been to the Superbowl twice, has a Superbowl win. If this resume at the highest level of coaching isnt good enough for you, then all I can say is maybe the problem is you.

Legend

User Info Menu

My only critique of Tomlin yesterday was right before the half.
    I wished we had ran the ball 3x and forced the Rams to use their TO's.
    I loved the challenge on the backwards pass because it was obvious even though we only gained a few yards.
    I still cant understand why we continue to struggle on 3rd and 1's...
    Im sure this is a lot easier on Tomlin that he doesnt have to babysit AB any longer....
    Tomlin hopefully gets coach of the year....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    It would be pretty damn disappointing having this many high draft pick along the unit and it not performing well.
    3 players drafted in the top 11 of their draft years as well
    I hate the X number of 1st round picks argument.

It neglects the fact that teams miss by treating pedigree as being the same thing as talent.

And at what point does being a top 11 pick stop mattering?

When you're a 30+ year old who's original team gave up on you because you didn't live up to expectations and are now a back up, why are you still treated as great because you were once a top 11 pick (TA, MB)?

It seems like the 1st round pick thing is thrown out to make it sound like the talent level is higher than it actually is.

But it gets parrotted so many times, I think some people don't look deeper and take it at face value.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post

It neglects the fact that teams miss by treating pedigree as being the same thing as talent.

When you're a 30+ year old who's original team gave up on you because you didn't live up to expectations and are now a back up, why are you still treated as great because you were once a top 11 pick (TA, MB)?

It seems like the 1st round pick thing is thrown out to make it sound like the talent level is higher than it actually is.

But it gets parrotted so many times, I think some people don't look deeper and take it at face value.
    Yep. And the analogy in the real world is hiring a guy from an ivy league school. Yea, he's ivy league, but after a couple years it doesn't mean Jack.

Legend

User Info Menu

Typical Tomlin apologist.

1st rounder Alu Alu was a BEAST before Tomlin RUINED him.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Last night was a terrible night for the Tomlin-haters. Tomlin's performance, and then on the flip side, their coaching god McVay was shown to be an inept girly-man. Disgusting. I'd be enraged if I was a Tomlin-hater. I don't know what I'd do. Maybe take a baseball bat to my neighbor's mailbox. Something to relieve the mounting internal pressure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Last night was a terrible night for the Tomlin-haters. Tomlin's performance, and then on the flip side, their coaching god McVay was shown to be an inept girly-man. Disgusting. I'd be enraged if I was a Tomlin-hater. I don't know what I'd do. Maybe take a baseball bat to my neighbor's mailbox. Something to relieve the mounting internal pressure.
    3 point on O.

Offense is McVays specialty.

Can't win a game when his D gives him 9 points against a team with an inept offense and a backup QB.

Did I miss anything? Maybe a janitor reference? Maybe something about Mcvay and balls?

Legend

User Info Menu

3 point on O.

Offense is McVays specialty.

Can't win a game when his D gives him 9 points against a team with an inept offense and a backup QB.

Did I miss anything? Maybe a janitor reference? Maybe something about Mcvay and balls?
    Or maybe Mcvay was the benificiary of having a cheap QB so he had a roster with elite players on O and D.

Maybe it was about talent on the roster and getting good bounces in the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

After the first month of the season the Steelers defense was ranked 31st in the NFL in yards/gm allowed.

As of today, the defense is ranked 12th in yds/allowed! That is an amazing climb in less than half a season. I am guessing they are on pace to be top 5. Not sure who was the last team to make such a leap but it tells you how quickly things can change for a team with the right pieces in place. Same thing can happen for the offense.

Let's go!
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 11-11-2019 at 08:49 PM.