Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we really afford to....

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we wont need Ben back next year
    I wish people would/could leave politics out of a Steelers Football Forum.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Before Tuitt was injured, that was definitely right. He was playing 50% or less. I haven't seen a snap count, but it seemed like Hargrave and Heyward were getting the bulk of the snaps against the Rams. I'd be surprised if he wasn't closer to 70% in that game.
    just read one of the beat writers on twitter say he did play more. and heyward barely missed any snaps.

writer was worried about the stamina of the D with the short turn around playing thursday night

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Maybe we wont need Ben back next year
    woooooow!! Let's let the young man continue to develop first.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Backup

User Info Menu

I think keeping Dupree or will be tough, even if we can free up some cap room. Both could very well be guys that are signed in those first few days of FA, which means they’ll get silly big contracts (and there are lots of teams with lots of cap room). With that assumption, we’ll have holes to fill to keep our defense tough.
    In keeping with the recent front office strategy, we’ll fill Bud and Javons positions with inexpensive FA and the draft, like Barron/Bush and Moncrief/Johnson, hedging our bets.
    I think we could be looking at a Fackrell/Weaver for Buds spot and a Pennel/Fotu combo for Javons. We’ll create the cap space by moving on from Barron (I know, he just had his best game) , Chickillo and Foster. (Maybe even Tuitt-I love him but he can’t stay healthy).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    just read one of the beat writers on twitter say he did play more. and heyward barely missed any snaps.

writer was worried about the stamina of the D with the short turn around playing thursday night
    For the last 2 weeks Hargrave was just shy of 73% of the snaps. Heyward was almost 90% against the Rams and about 79% against the Colts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nap-counts.htm
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    For the last 2 weeks Hargrave was just shy of 73% of the snaps. Heyward was almost 90% against the Rams and about 79% against the Colts.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nap-counts.htm
    Looking at these numbers, who is the Steelers D front 7 player with the most snaps played this season?

Dupree 584
    Watt 557
    Bush 548
    Heyward 494
    Barron 463
    Hargrave 353
    Tuitt 278
    Alualu 219
    Vince 193

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Easy solution...
    Cut VW, Chik and Foster..... Done!!!! 15 million a year salary right there
    You beat me to it, at least in general concept.

I was thinking Barron and Chick will go, each saving a bit over 5M.

Give Dupree and Hargrave that money with back loaded contracts. Gotta keep starters over backups or time shares.

Ben is then gone after 2021, opening up big $ for this next era of team leaders to get laid.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Ben is then gone after 2021, opening up big $ for this next era of team leaders to get laid.
    well, that would be a great benefit...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    well, that would be a great benefit...
    Hahaha...that's called a "perk"
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL just released the 2020 cap and it came in pretty much where expected (~$200M).
    The Steelers need to restructure Tuitt, Decastro, and maybe Haden. Otherwise this defense will look very different next season.