Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we really afford to....

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers have been playing and winning games without Juju and Conner. I'm not certain that signing them will be a priority and I love both of those guys, good players and even better people it seems. But, the reality is that the current group of WRs are coming into their own, the same with the RBs. Paying Juju and Conner top money doesn't seem like a winning strategy at this point, particularly Conner who is definitely injury prone.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.18 - Minkah Fitzpatrick, FS, Alabama
    2.49 -
    4.114 -
    4.117 -
    6.179 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers have been playing and winning games without Juju and Conner. I'm not certain that signing them will be a priority and I love both of those guys, good players and even better people it seems. But, the reality is that the current group of WRs are coming into their own, the same with the RBs. Paying Juju and Conner top money doesn't seem like a winning strategy at this point, particularly Conner who is definitely injury prone.

Pappy
    I actually agree with this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    This makes sense with Conner due to endless injuries but I wouldn’t move on from JuJu if he comes back and looks like the old JuJu.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    I would definitely not offer an extension to Conner (unless it was very cheap).

JuJu is a harder decision for me, but I could understand not extending him either. If I have to choose between paying JuJu next year or keeping Bud, I think maybe I franchise Bud.

Then they'd both be on the team next year. And when Bud comes off the tag, I use the money on TJ.

This site says that we if we cut Ben after next season, he "only" counts $12.5 M of dead money. If he's not good or significantly injured next season, maybe we do that and use the savings to lock up Fitzpatrick too.

I think our cap will be interesting (in a bad way) for a couple of years.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Big year by Bud Dupree leaves Steelers with a big decision

PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE
    DEC 12, 2019

With one more sack from Bud Dupree, he and T.J. Watt will become the first Steelers outside linebackers to register double-digit sacks in the same season since 2010, when James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley combined for 20 ½ sacks.

Dupree and Watt already have 22 sacks as they rush their way to postseason accolades. Watt is a candidate for NFL Defensive player of the Year, and Dupree could earn his first Pro Bowl nod.

Fans attending the Steelers-Bills game Sunday night at Heinz Field might want to appreciate the sight of Nos. 48 and 90 working in tandem. It could be the last time Dupree and Watt play at Heinz Field as teammates.

It’s the final home game of the season, and Dupree is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March.

“Me and Chick were talking about it last night,” said Dupree, the Steelers’ No. 1 draft pick in 2015. “It’s an opportunity to take in the moment, not take it for granted.”

“Chick” is Anthony Chickillo, another outside linebacker from the 2015 draft class. The Steelers are staring at the very real scenario of Chickillo being a starter next season because Dupree is poised to cash in on the open market as an unrestricted free agent.

Harrison and Woodley played together for six seasons. This is the third season together for Watt and Dupree. And while there will be sentiment to keep the band together because the Steelers have become one of the league’s top defenses, there are financial realties general manager Kevin Colbert faces once the season ends.

If Dupree hits unrestricted free agency in March, he could become one of the top 10 highest-paid outside linebackers in the NFL. The top seven earners at the position all make more than $16.5 million per season.

Dupree only has one Pro Bowl-caliber season on his resume, but that won’t matter. He had impeccable timing this season. He is in the midst of a career year, and teams desperate for a pass rusher will be prepared to pay him close to that amount, if not more.

A good comparison for Dupree is Packers outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith, who got a four-year, $66 million contract in the spring after four seasons with the Ravens. Smith, who played with Dupree at Kentucky, tallied 18 ½ sacks during his four years in Baltimore. Dupree had 20 sacks during his first four seasons with the Steelers.

Smith has 10 sacks with his new team and Dupree has 9 ½ with the Steelers. Dupree has already posted career highs in sacks, tackles for loss (13), and he still has three games to go to pad those numbers.

“Man, I just look at it like I turned my training up and got everything on track in the right way,” Dupree said. “It was the grind meeting physical ability. Just my hard work met up with the ability I have. And it all kind of met up at the right moment.”

The Steelers believed enough in Dupree to pick up the $9.8 million fifth-year option on his rookie contract, but not enough to offer a long-term contract over the summer. It wasn’t that the Steelers didn’t believe in Dupree’s ability. They did and voiced that confidence in him a number of times in the spring.

It’s just that they had other priorities over the offseason. Ben Roethlisberger signed his mega-deal. Offensive lineman Maurkice Pouncey also signed a big deal to keep him among the league’s highest-paid centers. They also signed Chickillo to a two-year, $8 million deal. It was insurance against Dupree leaving as a free agent.

“They never tried to extend me,” Dupree said. “My agent was trying to prepare for it, but it never happened. So I just sort of bet on myself. Coach [Mike] Tomlin always believed in me. Kevin, too.”

Dupree never had more than 6 ½ sacks in any of his first four seasons with the Steelers. When the Steelers did pick up Dupree’s fifth-year option, they were criticized because the production didn’t match the salary.

The Steelers are looking very smart now. Dupree is a key component on one of the best defenses in the NFL that’s carried them to an 8-5 record.

“You know, I just think guys evolve,” Tomlin said. “I think it’s reasonable when a guy’s in his mid-20s and is healthy to play the best ball of his life.”

The Steelers do have some options if they want to keep Dupree. They could use the franchise or transition tag on him, but they’d likely be on the hook for about $16 million for the franchise and about $14 million for the transition tag.

The exclusive franchise tag would give the Steelers the only negotiating rights with Dupree, while the non-exclusive franchise tag and transition tag would allow others teams to negotiate with Dupree. The Steelers would have the right to match any offer another team makes.

The Steelers wouldn’t have any drama if they did tag Dupree. Unlike Le’Veon Bell, Dupree said he would sign the contract and report to work.

“Just come to work and hopefully work out something in the meantime,” he said. “I feel like that’s something you can work out while you’re here rather than not sign the deal at all.”

But he also knows it’s not going to be that easy for the Steelers to tag him. Dupree rattled off the other players on the team that are due for new contracts next year and into the future. He knows both sides will make business decisions.

Dupree isn’t the only defensive starter who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. Defensive tackle Javon Hargrave is, too. Next year, receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster will be a candidate to receive a new contract as he enters the final year of his rookie deal. Others are in line, as well.

And while the thought of coming back and seeing how good the Steelers can be with a healthy Roethlisberger is intriguing to Dupree, he knows it might not be feasible for the Steelers to make it happen due to the salary cap.

“Yeah definitely, it would be fun to come back,” Dupree said. “Just being back with Ben and seeing how the defense would play with him, the whole offense together. Just see how special it can be. But I know it’s a business. I know a lot of people have to get paid. James [Conner] has to get paid. They might have to rip T.J. up pretty soon because if he wins Defensive player of the Year, I don’t think they’ll want him going to the back years of his contract and have to pay him $200 million. You got JuJu. You got [Hargrave]. There are a lot of guys. There’s a lot of money that’s on the table and a lot of guys that can be paid at this moment.”

Dupree was exaggerating about the $200 million for Watt, but his point was it’s going to be hard to pay two players big money when they play the same position. It’s why he will take some time to soak in the atmosphere Sunday night.

Watt isn’t allowing himself to think too far ahead. Like Dupree, he’s focused on doing everything he can to keep the Steelers defense humming as they try to lock down a playoff berth.

“We were talking the other day and saying the season is going by way too fast,” Watt said. “It’s really crazy we’re already halfway through December and we’re having so much fun. We’re making plays. This whole defense is really clicking right now. We’ve been working so hard as a defense to get to this point that it would be a disservice to look past the present. We just want to live in the now and ball out.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201912120127

Legend

User Info Menu

Since Dupree vastly underperformed on 90% of his contract, and the Steelers continued to pay him, it would be reasonable to ask for a discount on the next contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Since Dupree vastly underperformed on 90% of his contract, and the Steelers continued to pay him, it would be reasonable to ask for a discount on the next contract.
    Reasonable yes; but realistic when there's going to be a nice market for him? I doubt it. He's going to cash out with whoever ponies up the most money.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90’s who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70’s...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Reasonable yes; but realistic when there's going to be a nice market for him? I doubt it. He's going to cash out with whoever ponies up the most money.
    This. There's no harm in asking.

But, ultimately he'll be in the position of choosing between whatever we offer and the truckload of money that at least one team will offer him as a UFA.

And he said that we didn't even talk to him about extensions last season. I wonder if that is something he didn't like (or if it didn't really matter to him).
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

in bud's case.. there really will be a sweepstakes...with a brinks truck at the end

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

thats good seeing Bud say he'e would sign the Tag and not pull some Leveon type BS.

have to figure that's the minimum the FO would do. they won't let him leave for nothing