Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we really afford to....

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we really afford to....

...let Bud Dupree leave as a free agent? The guy has been a big part of the defenses success and we still don't have a starter in the wings ready to step in.

I think we need to try real hard to sign him. IMO he is a higher priority than Hargrave.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...let Bud Dupree leave as a free agent? The guy has been a big part of the defenses success and we still don't have a starter in the wings ready to step in.

I think we need to try real hard to sign him. IMO he is a higher priority than Hargrave.
    Get Ben to renegotiate and give back most of this year's salary, and sign them both.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bud is the guy I most want to bring back.

Dave @ the Depot did a 2020 Salary Cap projection
    https://steelersdepot.com/2019/10/st...h-projections/

Sounds like making Bud work would be pretty difficult.

The option they talked about on the podcast that wasn't cutting players we like (Haden?) was restructuring Ben. Doing that makes his cap hit insanely large in 2 seasons.

I wonder if there's some solution where we can extend Ben and if he's OK putting a dummy year on the end of his contract. If we could do that, we could spread the cap money out over a longer period of time so it's not so painful.

I really want to keep Bud now, but I'm not sure there's a responsible way to do so.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It would be a shame to lose anyone on our D if Ben makes it back next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    It would be a shame to lose anyone on our D if Ben makes it back next year.
    I think at least one of Hargrave or DuPree (and probably both). But, hopefully Tuitt comes back healthy and that somewhat offsets the loss of Hargrave.

But, O.Kahn is a wizard so maybe we can make something work.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Legend

User Info Menu

I have to think Ben May have a view watching this defense that if he renegotiated to keep the defense it may represent his best hope to get another Super Bowl

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think at least one of Hargrave or DuPree (and probably both). But, hopefully Tuitt comes back healthy and that somewhat offsets the loss of Hargrave.

But, O.Kahn is a wizard so maybe we can make something work.
    No disrespect to Tuitt but our D still looks good without him.

Not sure we can lose Dupree and see the D play at the same level.

Hargrave was also responsible for the sack fumble return by Minkah.

Dupree is really lighting it up this year. Hopefully we can work some magic.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I have to think Ben May have a view watching this defense that if he renegotiated to keep the defense it may represent his best hope to get another Super Bowl
    He’s sitting out the whole year. It would be really nice to rework that contract but I can’t blame him if he doesn’t. It’s his money.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    He’s sitting out the whole year. It would be really nice to rework that contract but I can’t blame him if he doesn’t. It’s his money.
    I don't think there's any way he takes less money.

It's also doubtful, but maybe we can extend him to bring down his average pay and then restructure his contract to kick the cap hit 2 years down the road. Maybe that gives us a short window to be very good and bring home SBs 8 and 9 (for Flippy's benefit since we're going to win #7 this year).

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to bring back both, but I suspect it will be very hard to do so. If the defense keeps playing as well as it is, their value will likely be further inflated in the market. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Dupree, but Hargrave will be a big loss. He's a huge part of the reason why the Steelers have been able to overcome the loss of Tuitt.