Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Good Are Out Receivers?

Legend

User Info Menu

How Good Are Out Receivers?

I'm calling BS that are WRs aren't good enough.

1. Juju - No one should be able to cover him in the slot. Put him in motion and get him the ball with room to maneuver. He's big, physical, and fast. He's a matchup nighmare working from the slot. It's a no brainer, use him there.

2. Washington - He's gonna beat you deep. He's slow. Everyone's gonna overlook him. But somehow when you are sleeping on him, he's gonna run by you. I don't have a clue how he does it, but he does it. And he's a big bodied kid that's gotta be tough for most DBs to matchup with physically.

3. Johnson - He's special. He's quick and sudden out of breaks. He's got body control. He can separate and has a different gear. But I think you need a QB that can throw him open and throw him balls that only he can go get. I think he's a player you need to have timing working with to get in sync.

4. TEs - If our WRs are blanketed all the time, we should be throwing more balls to our TEs

5. RBs - Between Samuels and Conner, we have some good options, but there's no way they should be the first and only read on plays.

When I really look at what we have, a QB is all that's holding us back. We've got to spread it around to everyone. And if we're going to everyone, that will open up everyone to make plays. It's a virtuous cycle. And the only thing holding us back from breaking out on offense is we have a young QB that's playing scared.

How do we get over that hump? Mason's either got to evolve quickly or we've got Duck waiting in the wings who is a guy that doesn't seem to know what fear is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree, our receivers I think are pretty good, If we had Ben in there I think Johnson would be putting up monster numbers. Mason is skilled, it's the mental part of the game that is holding him back, he needs to get better at reading defenses especially pre-snap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Definitely prefer JuJu in the slot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm calling BS that are WRs aren't good enough.

1. Juju - No one should be able to cover him in the slot. Put him in motion and get him the ball with room to maneuver. He's big, physical, and fast. He's a matchup nighmare working from the slot. It's a no brainer, use him there.

2. Washington - He's gonna beat you deep. He's slow. Everyone's gonna overlook him. But somehow when you are sleeping on him, he's gonna run by you. I don't have a clue how he does it, but he does it. And he's a big bodied kid that's gotta be tough for most DBs to matchup with physically.

3. Johnson - He's special. He's quick and sudden out of breaks. He's got body control. He can separate and has a different gear. But I think you need a QB that can throw him open and throw him balls that only he can go get. I think he's a player you need to have timing working with to get in sync.

4. TEs - If our WRs are blanketed all the time, we should be throwing more balls to our TEs

5. RBs - Between Samuels and Conner, we have some good options, but there's no way they should be the first and only read on plays.

When I really look at what we have, a QB is all that's holding us back. We've got to spread it around to everyone. And if we're going to everyone, that will open up everyone to make plays. It's a virtuous cycle. And the only thing holding us back from breaking out on offense is we have a young QB that's playing scared.

How do we get over that hump? Mason's either got to evolve quickly or we've got Duck waiting in the wings who is a guy that doesn't seem to know what fear is.
    We can't accurately tell until we get MR up to speed. Let's check back the last three games of the season to make a better analogy on that.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

It's difficult to tell at this time if the receivers are a problem, the quarterback, or a some of both but the passing game seems to be idling in neutral. Even with Ben in the game versus the Patriots, WRs didn't seem to be open, Ben seemed out of sorts and the passing game was blah. I wish I could see the whole field on TV during a pass play. I'd be interested to see if MR is missing open WRs or if the WRs simply aren't getting open. With the condensed view of a play on TV it always looks like the WRs aren't open (particularly Juju) but I have to believe that isn't actually the case.

The Steelers need yards out of their WRs this weekend or it could be a long day.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

MR is going to have to go vertical this game. I think more then in any other game so far this year. And he can't sit back there and pat the ball or Aaron Donaldson will eat him alive.

And..no slow starts this week. That's not going to work either.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

I know he didn't get much chance, but it's not like Roethlisberger was tearing it up with these guys.
    I don't see a receiver on the current roster that is keeping DCs up at night.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I know he didn't get much chance, but it's not like Roethlisberger was tearing it up with these guys.
    I don't see a receiver on the current roster that is keeping DCs up at night.
    exactly. BR looked like he had fallen off a cliff prior to his injury

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    exactly. BR looked like he had fallen off a cliff prior to his injury
    I think his elbow was hurting him from the beginning of the season

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I think his elbow was hurting him from the beginning of the season
    Which means it was probably bothering him when we signed him to his new contract. Smh.