Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Will the Contagion Spread?

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Will the Contagion Spread?

    I'm not an NBA fan and don't follow any teams but what is going on there could be the end of professional sports.

    If you have not heard, there are certain players now dictating how many games they will play during the season. Eight games in and Leonard is taking a few nights off....

    Imagine you and family shelled out $300 for tickets to see your favorite player play, and it ends up being 'his night off'?
    I hope this doesn't spread to the NFL or that will be the last straw for me.

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    They've already been doing this. I don't think it's a big deal especially in basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. where the seasons are infinitely long and regular season is less significant.

    If resting a player more often over the course of a long season keeps you healthier and ready for the playoffs, great for your franchise. In the case of Leonard, he played something like 60 games last year. Would he have been effective come playoff time if he played a full 82 games?

    It's probably different for different people, but for me and my team, I want them to do what's in the best interest of winning a championship. So I'm ok with this. But I get the other side of the argument. Especially in the NBA where 1 player is often the entire team. It's closer to being an individual rather than team sport.

    Plus, the NBA like MLB isn't really a sport imho. There's only a small number of teams that can compete in either league. I liked playing both sports as a kid, but no football and hockey are the only competitive sports out there. And football's becoming less watchable and hockey isn't really designed for tv.

    Maybe we've got to get into bowling. Or video game sports.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    NFL players rest the last game or 2 if they already clinched a playoff spot.

    It will never spread to the NFL unless if they changed to a 20 game schedule.

    Pretty sure this happens in the MLB and in hockey. With so many games it makes sense to rest every so often. Especially if you are a playoff team. We are talking 7 game series. Not single elimination.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I'm not an NBA fan and don't follow any teams but what is going on there could be the end of professional sports.

    If you have not heard, there are certain players now dictating how many games they will play during the season. Eight games in and Leonard is taking a few nights off....

    Imagine you and family shelled out $300 for tickets to see your favorite player play, and it ends up being 'his night off'?
    I hope this doesn't spread to the NFL or that will be the last straw for me.
    I think it means that people should pay less for tickets because you never know if you'll see the best product or not. Leagues are probably generally OK with this because they make more money on TV.

    Resting players in the NBA is actually a good move IMO.

    It happens in the NFL, but only at the end of seasons when seeing is already determined. Single games are too important in the NFL otherwise.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    They don't really care about the fans going to the arena, the TV contracts are where the money is at. Since the NBA is star driven it's in the NBA's best interest to have these guys healthy and able to play for a full season. Does it suck for the family who shells out $300 bucks, sure does, I would be pissed, but it's not something that will end the NBA. I mean how packed is an NBA arena going to be on a Tuesday night, it is just better to have these guys full go in marquee matchups and prime time games.
    Last edited by Mr.wizard; 11-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.

  6. #6
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Then the real cause is TOO MANY GAMES.
    Take note NFL!... fewer games = more important games = greater fan interest.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    They've already been doing this. I don't think it's a big deal especially in basketball, baseball, hockey, etc. where the seasons are infinitely long and regular season is less significant.

    If resting a player more often over the course of a long season keeps you healthier and ready for the playoffs, great for your franchise. In the case of Leonard, he played something like 60 games last year. Would he have been effective come playoff time if he played a full 82 games?

    It's probably different for different people, but for me and my team, I want them to do what's in the best interest of winning a championship. So I'm ok with this. But I get the other side of the argument. Especially in the NBA where 1 player is often the entire team. It's closer to being an individual rather than team sport.

    Plus, the NBA like MLB isn't really a sport imho. There's only a small number of teams that can compete in either league. I liked playing both sports as a kid, but no football and hockey are the only competitive sports out there. And football's becoming less watchable and hockey isn't really designed for tv.

    Maybe we've got to get into bowling. Or video game sports.
    It's a big deal if your a person who's paid hard earned money out to see your favorite player and he decides to take the night off. Heck ya , it's a big deal.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

    My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

    FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Then the real cause is TOO MANY GAMES.
    Take note NFL!... fewer games = more important games = greater fan interest.

    In the Clippers pursuit of Kawhi, the Clippers were desperate for him not to go to the Lakers. Desperate. So while he had the advantage, he told them that if he came to them, he would be able to take nights off if he choose. Clippers were so desperate that they agreed to this. Along with giving up 7-8 draft pick and draft swoops of position to get him and George.

    I don't think this will be the norm but it goes to show you how soft these guys are becoming. They work 6 months out the year and yet they don't want to play all the games. And then they are screwing their fan base who do pay their hard earned money to see them.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

    My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

    FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Eliminate regular season games and shrink the league, then you'll have more competitive regular season games and less reason to sit out a meaningless game, make the games mean something.

    NFL - 16 games
    MLB - 162 games
    NBA - 81 games

    Losing a game in the NFL is like being on 10 game losing streak in MLB and a 5 game skid in the NBA, so missing a game here and there isn't that damaging, not to mention, the NBA and MLB playoffs are pretty much fait accompli before the season gets started. The NFL, not so much, it's a wild ride right up through the 17th week of the season.

    Pappy


    The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

    1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    NBA owners are not going to lose games. That translates to less advertising money for them.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

    My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

    FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •