Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Lack of equality

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    My father …...never made sargeant because he kept getting passed over because minorities were given priority in hiring and testing.
    He's retired now collecting a pension but tell me how whites have had it so easy..
    You are what you want to be, stop the FN excuses
    OK, I'm about to LOSE it here. Reallty Pete...?

As the son of a BLACK Air Force OFFICER (last station was Hawaii which is how I grew up there)...likely of the same era, I take great issue with your take. You ASSUME people like my father were undeserving with ZERO basis in fact.

It is just inconceivable that a black man just might get a job on merits?

Making excuses? Really?
    MY DAD taught me to NEVER make excuses.
    He NEVER made excuses. He worked almost til 80 DESPITE his pension.

My dad is bright, a GREAT communicator, a hard worker, a great dad, and taught ALL his children his values.

After the military he started and ran a successful business that my brother runs today.

He taught us that life isn't "fair" we gotta be "better". He taught us to never complain just work harder. He was confident that we could do it and we are all (4 of us) successful.
    I have not had a penny of debt (cash bought cars, house owned outright) and growing savings for over a decade.

Excuses? Who is making excuses?
    Sho aint the son of THAT officer.

Excuses? Pete, you need ONE OF THESE:

Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-09-2019 at 10:53 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Black men 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed by police, new research estimates

By Clark Merrefield
    August 5, 2019

A black man in the U.S. has an estimated 1 in 1,000 chance of being killed by police during his lifetime, according to a paper out today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. That’s 2.5 times the odds for a non-Hispanic white man, the authors find.

Black women are 1.4 times more likely than white women to be killed by police. Men overall are 20 times more likely than women to be killed by police, according to the paper.

https://journalistsresource.org/stud...ely-white-men/
    Who's committing the crimes associated with this stat?

Legend

User Info Menu

I dont know what your rambling on about but that is/was a fact.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/13/nyregion/despite-revisions-few-blacks-passed-police-sergeant-test.html
    "Under the court-approved consent decrees growing out of the challenges to the 1983 and 1978 tests, the city agreed to promote enough lower-scoring black and Hispanic officers to make the racial breakdown of the new sergeants proportional to the number of black and Hispanic candidates who took the test."

I dont know your father and good for him if he worked hard to get where he is today.
    Why do you ASSUME this is directed at you?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    In fact nobody on this thread has said that.

Did you forget what this thread is about? It
    is the false premise that black athletes a spared accusations of racism.
    I proved it wrong by facts and direct quotes of the media nearly a week ago

But if you are wrong, you argue a premise nobody is making...you can "pretend" you've made a point.
    You should go back and read this statement--->
    Poor guys. America has treated you so harsh over the years.

Legend

User Info Menu

You should go back and read this statement--->
    Did he or anybody say anybody got handed anything? Is HE making excuses? I don't see it here.

His point is that the premise of this thread, that your life is so hard and that minorities get all the breaks in life is ridiculous.

Life ain't fair for any of us you or I....but it sure ain't more fair for those with less power. Like the others I've got stories about being profiled.

Crime happens in the neighborhood they come to our house asking where was me or my brothers. Gotta prove we (no police records) weren't involved. Friends down the street? Nothing.

My brother arrested thrown into jail falsely (school riot he did not participate in was exonerated).

My other brother moves to LA and harassed pulled over and car searched repeated (7 times in 1year) because his car was a gang color.

I am a lifelong Bible nerd. I have never stolen, never done an illegal drug, heck never hit anybody in anger that I recall....even as a kid. I've never been with anybody but my wife AFTER marriage.

As soon as I had the smallest issue with my eyes...I started wearing glasses. Why? I stopped being the perpetual suspect, the scary threatening black guy. I became Urkel. So weird, but it was crazy how the perceptions changed.

It was not fair but I don't live there. I did what I needed to do to have success.

I suggest we ALL take your advice and don't make excuses.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-10-2019 at 04:34 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Why do you ASSUME this is directed at you?
    My bad Pete. You mentioned Air Force and I missed the full context and got defensive of my pop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    I don't think it's about being handed everything in life.
    Very few people have everything handed to them. Being born white in America has it's advantages. Being born white makes it easier to become successful in America. Take a lot at the history of this country and it's easy to understand why that's the case.

Knowing the history of this country would you rather be born white or black?
    Odds are now that all kids born today will do worse economically than their parents - black or white. This wasnÂ’t true 10Â’yrs or more ago.

There is tons of crap black folks have to deal with that white folks could never understand. No doubt.

But looking forward, I sense poor white folks are losing hope for the future and are getting angry at the world and lashing out of frustration with their prospects for their future.

And in the not to distant future, itÂ’s not going to matter who you are and if you work hard or not. Even the most dedicated people with the strongest of work ethics will be replaced by technology that will be smarter, wonÂ’t need breaks, and will be able to accomplish things no human could. The superior race will be robots, and weÂ’ll all be the minority in the world white or black.