Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of equality

Legend

User Info Menu

The minute you pay attention to the media, crowd sentiment, whatever and become annoyed, offended, angry, etc, you lose and they win.

The media is no different than trolls on a message board. Existing to stir the pot and to make people react.

Responding, liking, retweeting, calling out anyone just gives them power and a stronger voice.

If you can take a step back and look at the media without personal bias or emotion, it’s easy to see there isn’t a rational or reasonable person on any media outlet wether it be Fox or CNN. And then if you dig into social channels, the Russians (or whatever boogey man you want to blame) have taught us how to sew discord and disagreement between people.

And I don’t think people in the media don’t mean well. We just live in a culture that consumes information superficially and has no attention span. With the media primarily being cheerleaders stirring us up into a frenzy, we tend to feel stronger about lots of issues we know very little about. Being ignorant is celebrated and rewarded in today’s culture.

Fortunately the majority of people in real life and rational and reasonable. But I do think the tide is turning. Nothing made it more obvious to me than trying to understand the last US Presential election cycle. Around 20% of people voted for Hillary and about 19% voted for Trump. And the majority that I asked why and dig into the biggest driver for a choice was Hillary wasn’t Trump and Trump wasn’t Hillary. It may seem insignificant in some ways or subtle, but I think a big transition happened in 2016 that we are more driven by our fears than our hopes and dreams. But The majority 60% didn’t vote for either. Granted there’s babies and people under 18 in that 60%+, but I digress.

And I get it, it’s easy to react in a negative way, but I think we’re better off not stewing on it and focusing on the positive. I think it’s better to find and support positive media outlets vs combating the trolls that are owned and controlled by interests that do not align with our best interests.

People aren’t bad. I don’t even think the Browns player or AB are bad, racist, whatever. They just had a reaction that sounded bad. Good people get frustrated and react inappropriately all the time. If we don’t collectively overlook others flaws and focus on the positive, others will eventually see all of our flaws. And who wants that. We live in a world where everyone wants to call out everyone except you or I.

I say we give people the benefit of the doubt and it will come back around and they will give us the benefit of the doubt and life will get better for everyone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I think his complaint is with the media, who seem to have a kind of double-standard when it comes to reporting racism.

I would say there's a lot of inequality in this country, working against -- or sometimes, for -- all kinds of different people/groups.
    Sounds snowflakey to me.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    People in America want equality. It's getting better but it's still a work in progress. Hopefully racists individuals can find the errors in their ways.

People should be more concerned and out raged at our openly racist, sexist, and sexually assaulting president.
    Why should we be concerned about his actions and ignore millions others,?
    He's the best president we've had in a long time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Really dude? Just don't get the outrage. You "see" what you wanna see and today's divisive environment stirs it.

FACT:

USA Today
    "Browns cut Jermaine Whitehead after violent, racist Twitter threats"

Yahoo Sports
    "Browns condemn Jermaine Whitehead Twitter rant containing death threat, racist language"

Even ultra liberal
    The Guardian
    "Browns waive Jermaine Whitehead after expletive-laden cracker tweet"

AOL News
    Browns cut Jermaine Whitehead after racist Twitter rant that included death threats

The Associated Press said clearly that he used a DEROGATORY RACIAL TERM. This is repeated in Newspapers all over the country. A few of the dozens of examples:

New York Times
    "Whitehead's tweets included several expletives and in one he used a derogatory racial term."

Time
    Whiteheads tweets included several expletives and in one he used a derogatory racial term.

Trib
    Whiteheads tweets included several expletives and in one he used a derogatory racial term.

Fact is dude got fired. His vile comments are called racist language all over the media. People filter the whole truth to see what they want to see.

Bringing it back to Steelers:
    Same thing happens with people perceptions of elements of this team.
    Ya this was reported everywhere, in fact I stopped listening to sports talk radio yesterday because I sick of hearing about it. He got exposed, he got fired, what else is supposed to happen to the guy?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    People in America want equality. It's getting better but it's still a work in progress. Hopefully racists individuals can find the errors in their ways.

People should be more concerned and out raged at our openly racist, sexist, and sexually assaulting president.
    All the things you say about trump are true; the supposed leader of the United States should not have those aspects to his character.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    For those that have been living under a rock for the past 24hrs, the safety for the Browns, Jermaine Whitehead made threatening and racist remarks on Twitter immediately after the game.

All day today, the national media talking heads referred to it as threatening posts and completely swept under the rug the fact that they were racist posts as well. I can't let it go anymore. I already did it once with AB. I'm also writing some of these national media outlets or anchors on it.

AB is also a racist. Hell, he even called Mike Mayock, his former GM a name to prove it.

No one called him a racist in the national media. He is one though.

What if Edelman called a black fan on Twitter the N word?
    Think that would get national media attention?! You better damn well believe it. People would want his head served on a silver platter.

My point is ... There is no equality with stuff like this. People don't want equality. If they did, it would be covered equally regardless of race. If people were treated fairly, there wouldn't be crutches. And who doesn't like a crutch? I do. The fact that people want true equality is a hoax.
    Steelz09, do we know what was said to him initially? In other words, were any racially tinged things said to him first and he responded by calling them racial things?

Because I know he called them cracker but I dont know exactly what was initially said.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The minute you pay attention to the media, crowd sentiment, whatever and become annoyed, offended, angry, etc, you lose and they win.

The media is no different than trolls on a message board. Existing to stir the pot and to make people react.

Responding, liking, retweeting, calling out anyone just gives them power and a stronger voice.

If you can take a step back and look at the media without personal bias or emotion, it’s easy to see there isn’t a rational or reasonable person on any media outlet wether it be Fox or CNN. And then if you dig into social channels, the Russians (or whatever boogey man you want to blame) have taught us how to sew discord and disagreement between people.

And I don’t think people in the media don’t mean well. We just live in a culture that consumes information superficially and has no attention span. With the media primarily being cheerleaders stirring us up into a frenzy, we tend to feel stronger about lots of issues we know very little about. Being ignorant is celebrated and rewarded in today’s culture.

Fortunately the majority of people in real life and rational and reasonable. But I do think the tide is turning. Nothing made it more obvious to me than trying to understand the last US Presential election cycle. Around 20% of people voted for Hillary and about 19% voted for Trump. And the majority that I asked why and dig into the biggest driver for a choice was Hillary wasn’t Trump and Trump wasn’t Hillary. It may seem insignificant in some ways or subtle, but I think a big transition happened in 2016 that we are more driven by our fears than our hopes and dreams. But The majority 60% didn’t vote for either. Granted there’s babies and people under 18 in that 60%+, but I digress.

And I get it, it’s easy to react in a negative way, but I think we’re better off not stewing on it and focusing on the positive. I think it’s better to find and support positive media outlets vs combating the trolls that are owned and controlled by interests that do not align with our best interests.

People aren’t bad. I don’t even think the Browns player or AB are bad, racist, whatever. They just had a reaction that sounded bad. Good people get frustrated and react inappropriately all the time. If we don’t collectively overlook others flaws and focus on the positive, others will eventually see all of our flaws. And who wants that. We live in a world where everyone wants to call out everyone except you or I.

I say we give people the benefit of the doubt and it will come back around and they will give us the benefit of the doubt and life will get better for everyone.
    Nice post Flippy
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Steelz09, do we know what was said to him initially? In other words, were any racially tinged things said to him first and he responded by calling them racial things?

Because I know he called them “ cracker” but I don’t know exactly what was initially said.
    Doesn’t matter. He makes millions and has too much to lose to let people on Twitter get the best of him.

That’s the great and terrible thing about social media. You get comfortable or angry and let loose and the whole world gets to see it. It may feel good to get it off your chest but it’s bad for your professional well being.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Is “cracker” considered racist by most people? I’m seriously asking. I use the term to denigrate Southerners, and never realized it had a strong racial slam component to it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Sounds snowflakey to me.
    That's your problem, it's true. Like you, or someone else, said in another thread, show your work. Prove to me that there aren't all kinds of inequalities going on with all kinds of people and groups in this country -- prove it or shut up.

I'm not complaining about our country, it's still the best in the world. I'm just saying that unfair treatment is a fact of life. And if you don't agree, I'd say YOU are the snowflake.