Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: post midseason thoughts

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The question is...is the coaching staff holding him back or is Mason holding himself back? I'd love to see the all-22 on some of his dropbacks because he always seems too prepared to settle for the short pass after taking the time and opting not to go deeper.
    I agree that this is the question. And I don't pretend to know the answer.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    4 losses to 4 good teams. No shame there.

Looking back at the schedule, it makes the Steelers look like a very strong team. They are one game back from a wildcard right now with a real chance to make the playoffs if they can go 10-6. Only real stinker was the opener to NE. Otherwise, and all with the backup QB and also the 3rd string UDFA rookie QB:

Losses to: Seattle (7-2) by 2, Baltimore (6-2) by 3 in OT, San Francisco (8-0) by 4

The offense needs to figure some crap out, but otherwise, the only games they should lose here on out might be to: LA Rams, Baltimore, Buffalo

Buffalo is a big one as they along with Indy are wildcard competitors. Having head to head wins over both is big time important. Buffalo hasn't beaten anyone good yet and could just be pretenders.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As "good' as our losses have been, our wins are really, really lucky. Terrible teams and 1 good one. We needed a pick six, an injury to their QB, their best wr out and a miss FG to get the win.
    4-4 is nice. On paper it looks pretty good, considering.
    This team could go 10-6 or 6-10. Luck not skill, is needed to continue winning.
    The defense has been incredible. No one could have predicted this transformation. I can't believe that they can continue to generate all the turnovers we need to be in games for the remainder of the season. Who knows, maybe they can.
    Our schedule is dog crap easy, so that gives hope.
    I somehow feel that even if we snag a wc, I can't see us beating a real team on the road.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Fitz trade was well worth it.

Tomlin continues to prove he's a rah rah "go get 'em boys" cheerleader coach. Nothing more nothing less. It's helpful in this type of situation when you need to rally the troops.

The D is good but we still struggle with defending TEs. The addition of Nelson, Bush and Fitz has been huge.

Terrell Edmunds was bad early but looks a little better. I still don't think he was worth a 1st rounder.

Dupree is having a season. Hopefully, we can keep him and he continues to perform instead of collecting his $$ and getting lazy.

The offense has shown to lack quickness both at the RB and WR position. They struggle to separate which is why both Ben and Rudolph held the ball forever. The WRs inability to separate has surprised me a bit.

OL is solid. Especially in pass protection.

Boz is back to good Boz.

Our PR and KR is still a joke.

Shame that Tuitt got hurt. He was having his best season.

We need another RB (that is more elusive, and quicker) and a WR.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    As "good' as our losses have been, our wins are really, really lucky. Terrible teams and 1 good one. We needed a pick six, an injury to their QB, their best wr out and a miss FG to get the win.
    The defense has been incredible. No one could have predicted this transformation. I can't believe that they can continue to generate all the turnovers we need to be in games for the remainder of the season. Who knows, maybe they can.
    I somehow feel that even if we snag a wc, I can't see us beating a real team on the road.
    This is a joke right?

We didn’t “need” all those things to win. We created most of those opportunities to win the game.

I don’t feel any pity for their WR being out. We don’t have our 30 million dollar franchise QB. We didn’t have Tuitt, Conner, Snell, Foster, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow...you really only see the glass half empty. I pray your real life is better than your fan life.

Legend

User Info Menu

Same old schlock. Wins were lucky, losses were poor coaching.

In case you haven't noticed this team is playing their 2nd string QB, is without one of their best defensive players, was playing their 2nd and 3rd string running backs.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Wow...you really only see the glass half empty. I pray your real life is better than your fan life.
    Thanks for your prayers. I'll sleep better knowing a perfect stranger is thinking of me and is generally concerned with my well being.
    Not only are you a great Steeler/Tomlin fan, you are a class act person too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I am not bashing Tomlin, who I think he is doing a hell of a job this year. I am just frustrated how he still does bone headed game time decisions. Going for it on 4th down rather than punt and pin them deep ( colts game I think we were mid field), clock management, and of course the challenges. (For the record, call he did to defend in over time rather than receive).
    ďIím so tired of LeíVeon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "Iím so tired of it. Letís just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love LeíVeon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. Theyíre the only people that matter to me."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We get this win and I think we make a push for the playoffs.

Incredible given our injuries.

I know it’s hard for people ok here to give Tomlin & Co credit but this FO has been impressive this year.

We aren’t a SB team but the foundation has been laid for a nice run next year if Ben comes back and plays good football.

We still need help at OL, WR and RB but I think we are one player (or 2 at OL) away from each unit.