Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: post midseason thoughts

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

post midseason thoughts

hey yinz and losers, lol

quick thoughts for the season so far..

1) Fitz is worth that trade., anyone still debating it is on crack.

2) Our D is legit, can't really find a weakness how we have in the past. ( Fitz effect? Bush effect? Nelson effect? Bud... I got this from another poster Porter gone, Buttler doing his magic developing OLB just like he did in the past .)

3) I don't know if it is my Steeler blinds on, but I still have high hopes for this offen or big players just choking. se. Maybe I haven't honestly made transition to reality, that BB is gone along with AB. But NOW this offense is frustrating as hell. Is it the coaching, the lack of #2 WR, OL not playing up to par, or Rudlolf. When he is going downfield, he positon the ball behind the WRs, evident all those tipped INT. The dude has lead feet, doesn't move in pocket to open passing lanes. Hopefully all those improve with him settling in the position.

4) Tomlin is Tomlin, at times i like his risks but over all he hasn't grown as a coach. is horrible game manager... back to back failed challenges for PI, that is depserate coaching... Playing in his fears,

5) I can not deny I love how this season is shaking up, new blood, new heart, the era of the killer Bs gone, we were getting to the point of being stale, we became KC/ Dallas always good, but just sucked when it counted and heartbreak.
    “I’m so tired of Le’Veon," DeCastro told reporters (h/t ESPN's Jeremy Fowler ([url]https://twitter.com/JFowlerESPN/status/1038909446146203649[/url])) after Sunday's game. "I’m so tired of it. Let’s just worry about the guys in here. I know you guys have stories to write and what not. I love Le’Veon, but we gotta worry about the guys in here. They’re the only people that matter to me."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    hey yinz and losers, lol

quick thoughts for the season so far..

1) Fitz is worth that trade., anyone still debating it is on crack.

2) Our D is legit, can't really find a weakness how we have in the past. ( Fitz effect? Bush effect? Nelson effect? Bud... I got this from another poster Porter gone, Buttler doing his magic developing OLB just like he did in the past .)

3) I don't know if it is my Steeler blinds on, but I still have high hopes for this offen or big players just choking. se. Maybe I haven't honestly made transition to reality, that BB is gone along with AB. But NOW this offense is frustrating as hell. Is it the coaching, the lack of #2 WR, OL not playing up to par, or Rudlolf. When he is going downfield, he positon the ball behind the WRs, evident all those tipped INT. The dude has lead feet, doesn't move in pocket to open passing lanes. Hopefully all those improve with him settling in the position.

4) Tomlin is Tomlin, at times i like his risks but over all he hasn't grown as a coach. is horrible game manager... back to back failed challenges for PI, that is depserate coaching... Playing in his fears,

5) I can not deny I love how this season is shaking up, new blood, new heart, the era of the killer Bs gone, we were getting to the point of being stale, we became KC/ Dallas always good, but just sucked when it counted and heartbreak.
    I would say on #4 that Tomlin hasn't lost the team. He continues to prove the players respect and respond to him and they fight no matter the odds. He is a great leader and right for the NFL players of today and more importantly the organization knows it

The obsession this board has with challenges cracks me up. Ignore the fact that he is the second winningest coach over the past decade but obsess over about 12 challenges gone wrong and try to define the coach by that. Ridiculous!!!
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would say on #4 that Tomlin hasn't lost the team. He continues to prove the players respect and respond to him and they fight no matter the odds. He is a great leader and right for the NFL players of today and more importantly the organization knows it

The obsession this board has with challenges cracks me up. Ignore the fact that he is the second winningest coach over the past decade but obsess over about 12 challenges gone wrong and try to define the coach by that. Ridiculous!!!
    Since we are on a nice winning streak it makes sense for those people to obsess things Tomlin lost or didn’t do right.

This season I don’t take anything for granted so every win is a good one.

Some people just like to complain too

On the FB threads with Steeler articles praising a coach or player... app they do is complain about what they didn’t do last year or years ago.

Half way thru the season with this offense and our schedule we aren’t really that far off record wise from what most people though we would be with Ben and AB before the season started.

I still think we can get to 10-6 if we can get these turnovers in check on offense.

Mason isn’t that bad when he goes downfield and these guys are getting 2 hands on the ball and not making catches. Tighten up the ball security and we can make a run at the 6th seed.

I really thought the Rats would have 2 more losses vs the Seahags and Pats. Smh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I love how this season is shaking up on D. But the offense just makes me nervous. We have moved the ball against decent teams so I have some hope. But it's a really uninspiring offense right now.

Take the shackles off Rudolph and tell him to let it rip! I want to see what we have in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's a case of changing expectations for the offense. AB was roughly 1/3 of the offense. Still have not found a complete replacement. May not even be on the current roster. At this point, and not surprisingly, the offense really has no identity.
    I like what Tomlin is doing with the team. He is piecing together wins however he can. Tomlin teams finish the season better than they start.
    Every week will be a challenge until the offense finds itself. Rudolph may or may not be the guy, but should know a lot more by the end of the season.
    A wild card doesn't seem out of reach but there is NO room for error.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lots of questions still surrounding our qb position. MR has had some technique issues (footwork to be specific and staying on his 1st read to long) yet we all need to at least give him a few more games under his belt to pick up and improve upon these obvious rookie like issues. Now with a bit more experience we'll see if he can slide past the rush in the pocket while still looking down field, climb the pocket when edge pressure is closing down and getting into better throwing positions when he is avoiding the rush so his passes don't float n he can get it there with some zip on it. IMHO he gets through his reads ok but quicker still would be better n if it's check down then so be it. He looks off the FS pretty good n that's a good trait for any Q.
    What we have in Rudolph or don't have will go a long way in knowing our long term plan at qb for the future. Hodges on the other hand appears serviceable as a back up and that's a good thing. Not sure if he's around next year but even with 7 set to return in 20 I could see Hodges kept because he sees the field well enough, makes decent decisions n has ability to make plays with his legs.
    Lynch is a unknown. I'll leave it at that.
    In summery MR may be the future. We'll know a lot more after week 17. To me, and I've said it before, he has a high ceiling.
    Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 11-04-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Take the shackles off Rudolph and tell him to let it rip! I want to see what we have in him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    The question is...is the coaching staff holding him back or is Mason holding himself back? I'd love to see the all-22 on some of his dropbacks because he always seems too prepared to settle for the short pass after taking the time and opting not to go deeper.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

4 losses to 4 good teams. No shame there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    4 losses to 4 good teams. No shame there.
    and if not for fumbles and drops on offense who knows what our record is right now.