Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph after a few games

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So we are comparing MR to Ben. Well, we now know what Ben became.

Some things to consider:

1. Ben wasn't replacing a first ballot HOF'er. He came in behind Maddox & Kordell. A lot less pressure.

2. Ben was great out of the box. But he did have a better overall team around him.

3. Our coaches have been spoiled with Ben for many years. It can't be easy to have to adjust to a 2nd year qb, 1st year starter.

4. We are in a good position with MR. Let him play out the rest of the year to see what he becomes. If he fails, we'll have a healthy, rested and motivated BR to take his team back. And 2 seasons to find his replacement. If he thrives, we are set for qb for the next 10-12 years.

It will be interesting to see what happens if MR becomes Patrick Mahomes-esque. Does Ben become the starter next year in any case??

And btw, we are WINNING!!!
    Last edited by rpmpit; 11-04-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought vultures are supposed to wait until the prey is dead before they start feeding on the carcass.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We had everything but a WB when Ben was drafted. He was also drafted 11th.

Mason was. 3rd rounder who everyone tried to say was a first round talent. He wasn’t. This is why we are seeing him struggle a bit.

Truth be told, if WR’s didn’t drop passes that hit them in the hands his stats would be pretty impressive.

He isn’t bad, he isn’t great.. but given our talent on offense I think Mason is doing a respectable job.

Would love to see how he looks with a full offseason as the #1 where the OC caters the playbook to his strengths.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't compare Rudolph to Ben. I just haven't seen anything special from Rudolph yet. But for some guys, it takes a while before their strengths start to become evident. I think where impatience sets in is when we see other rookies come in and make some kind of difference immediately.

But Troy Aikman was terrible when he first started: 0–11 record as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Awful.

The team around you matters A LOT. Is there enough talent around Rudolph? And I'm also not sure that Randy Fichtner is the guy to really bring out the best in him.

This will be a good year to fully evaluate Rudolph. I hope the coaches let him loose a little more. Right now, they look like they're playing "not to lose".

Administrator

User Info Menu

Agreed. It's unfair to compare Rudolph to Ben.

There's a reason one could have went #1 overall and the other lasted until the 3rd round.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

There's a reason one could have went #1 overall and the other lasted until the 3rd round.
    The draft isn't always the best indicator. Plenty of 1st or 2nd round busts. And then there's Marcia from the 6th.

I think it's more unfair to compare him to Ben because of the team around him than because of the draft position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When you compare Ben’s and Mason’s last season of college football statistically you would think they would both be worthy of being a first round pick.

BR - 342/495, 69.1%, 4,486yds, 37tds, 10 int., 165.8

MR - 318/489, 65%, 4,904yds, 37tds, 9int., 170.6.

Obviously MR lacks some of the BR intangibles right now but I see no write him off just yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    yeah, plus conner is hurt every other game now too. Gonna be interesting to see just what we do in the off-season to fix the many woes of the offense.
    Careful. With a comment like this, you might get branded by intellectually dishonest posters as someone who hates Conner with his entire being
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We lack quickness at the RB and WR position.

Johnson is the only guy with quickness to create separation.

Washington and JuJu win with size and physicality. They are more straight line speed fast than they are quick.

Same problem at RB. No RB with any wiggle.
    I think our biggest lack is a QB who goes through his progressions and finds the open guy. Or maybe just a QB who is willing to take a chance to let his play makers make plays.

Sounds like he'll pretty much always take the dump off instead of taking a chance. He's kind of the anti-Ben in that way.

It also sounds like people who watch the all-22 suggest that he misses open guys downfield (but I'm sure all QBs do this). Locked on Steelers talked about a play yesterday where McDonnald was wide open near the goal line waving for the ball, but Mason didn't see him. I haven't seen the play though, don't know what the pressure looked like or anything.

Hopefully this is something he can get better at. But, I think it's very hard to become a good NFL QB.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-04-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    When you compare Ben’s and Mason’s last season of college football statistically you would think they would both be worthy of being a first round pick.

BR - 342/495, 69.1%, 4,486yds, 37tds, 10 int., 165.8

MR - 318/489, 65%, 4,904yds, 37tds, 9int., 170.6.

Obviously MR lacks some of the BR intangibles right now but I see no write him off just yet.
    Big12 stats are misleading.

Grier put up big stats at WVU and everyone in Carolina said there would be a QB controversy if they drafted Grier.

He looked like trash this preseason. Clearly not ready for the speed of the NFL game.