Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph after a few games

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    I thought vultures are supposed to wait until the prey is dead before they start feeding on the carcass.
    Nobody is giving up on Mason. I have said the most negative sounding posts on this thread.

My point is the comparison to BEN who EXCELLED as a first year starter is RIDICULOUS.

Mason ain't Ben nor is he close...at this point.

Bradshaw and Aikmen were WORSE as 1st year starters.

Saying he is not rookie Ben is not trashing the guy as a bust.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't compare Rudolph to Ben. I just haven't seen anything special from Rudolph yet. But for some guys, it takes a while before their strengths start to become evident. I think where impatience sets in is when we see other rookies come in and make some kind of difference immediately.

But Troy Aikman was terrible when he first started: 0–11 record as a starter, completing 155 of 293 passes for 1,749 yards, 9 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. Awful.

The team around you matters A LOT. Is there enough talent around Rudolph? And I'm also not sure that Randy Fichtner is the guy to really bring out the best in him.

This will be a good year to fully evaluate Rudolph. I hope the coaches let him loose a little more. Right now, they look like they're playing "not to lose".
    Agreed....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Well, he’s going to get a long lease because we don’t have any Other recourse at qb
    disagree. I'd rather see Duck in there. He passed downfield more, loosened up defenses and that's why the RBs had better success with him in the game. Although some moron will find stats and say, "see. he completed more 20 yard passes"

That final drive was the last straw for me. Many will criticize the team (or Tomlin or his janitor skills) for running on 1st and 2nd - that's good clock management. It's what you're SUPPOSED to do in that situation.

On 3rd, a DB lined up in front of a WR, then blitzed (iirc, he was 2nd from the top of the screen). At snap, i was excited because that should have been an easy 1st down pass - throw it where the pressure came from. Instead, he holds it, gets hit and coulda fumbled/thrown a pick. That's high school QB awareness. Maybe he's a slow learner, but he's quite a few years past high school at this point -- i'm not encouraged by what i'm seeing thus far
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2020 Draft
    2. Jake Fromm (trade up) - Smart, competitive QB falls to second round. Trade up and get this kid.
    TBD

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I think our biggest lack is a QB who goes through his progressions and finds the open guy. Or maybe just a QB who is willing to take a chance to let his play makers make plays.

Sounds like he'll pretty much always take the dump off instead of taking a chance. He's kind of the anti-Ben in that way.

It also sounds like people who watch the all-22 suggest that he misses open guys downfield (but I'm sure all QBs do this). Locked on Steelers talked about a play yesterday where McDonnald was wide open near the goal line waving for the ball, but Mason didn't see him. I haven't seen the play though, don't know what the pressure looked like or anything.

Hopefully this is something he can get better at. But, I think it's very hard to become a good NFL QB.
    Guys aren't separating. Its not MR's fault although he is at fault for not throwing with enough anticipation.

Ben had the same problem in Week 1 and 2 before getting hurt.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Guys aren't separating. Its not MR's fault although he is at fault for not throwing with enough anticipation.

My concern is his ball placement is terrible. It goes beyond missed opportunities or lack of separation.

Guys are slowing, reaching back, one handing, twisting, to make a catch...on routine throws of any distance...all the time.

I hope he gets over it.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 11-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I don't watch the all 22.

But at least some people who do say that this isn't necessarily the case.

I don't know if they are right or not...and I don't know of there's a good way to tell.

Either way, I hope MR gets better with more experience.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    disagree. I'd rather see Duck in there. He passed downfield more, loosened up defenses and that's why the RBs had better success with him in the game. Although some moron will find stats and say, "see. he completed more 20 yard passes"

That final drive was the last straw for me. Many will criticize the team (or Tomlin or his janitor skills) for running on 1st and 2nd - that's good clock management. It's what you're SUPPOSED to do in that situation.

On 3rd, a DB lined up in front of a WR, then blitzed (iirc, he was 2nd from the top of the screen). At snap, i was excited because that should have been an easy 1st down pass - throw it where the pressure came from. Instead, he holds it, gets hit and coulda fumbled/thrown a pick. That's high school QB awareness. Maybe he's a slow learner, but he's quite a few years past high school at this point -- i'm not encouraged by what i'm seeing thus far
    I sense your frustration but Duck isn't a real option. If he played long enough, you'd see even more flaws in his game then Rudolph's. We have no recourse but to ride this thing out and take our lumps. These are the dog days of a lost season that I was referring to a few weeks ago. We've just gotta trust the process and hope this kid becomes better by week 17 of the season and going forward.

Bridgewater and Cam Newton will be available after the season's end. Maybe Matt Moore (KC"s current QB backing up Mahomes). But that's where we're at. I don't see any calvary coming over the hill to save us at the QB position. What else can we do other then keep our fingers crossed for MR to grow?
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I sense your frustration but Duck isn't a real option. If he played long enough, you'd see even more flaws in his game then Rudolph's. We have no recourse but to ride this thing out and take our lumps. These are the dog days of a lost season that I was referring to a few weeks ago. We've just gotta trust the process and hope this kid becomes better by week 17 of the season and going forward.
    They'll all have their growing pains. Whether it be Duck or MR. But, at least Duck took a few calculated risks. In a season like this, I think i'd rather see what either/both can do.
    13 completions to Samuels? Sheesh

Honestly, i hope he proves me wrong, but, his awareness is far worse than a "typical rookie". Thing is... he's NOT a rookie.

Bridgewater and Cam Newton will be available after the season's end. Maybe Matt Moore (KC"s current QB backing up Mahomes). But that's where we're at. I don't see any calvary coming over the hill to save us at the QB position. What else can we do other then keep our fingers crossed for MR to grow?
    Bridgewater isn't coming to Pittsburgh. Period. We had our chance when he left Minny and we didn't sign him.. i thought we were idiots for not doing it considering at the time our backup was Landry, but meh. Live and learn.

This past offseason, he had his chance to leave and become the starter in Miami (back home in Florida). They made him an offer with starter pay. He stayed in NO to be the future after Brees left. When brees was hurt he re-affirmed with NO (and I as a Louisville alum) already knew - but now the rest of the league knows too.

The others... meh. Matt Moore is like 90 years old. He backed up Jake Delhomme in Carolina back in the day. Cam... nope.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

2020 Draft
    2. Jake Fromm (trade up) - Smart, competitive QB falls to second round. Trade up and get this kid.
    TBD

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is the play I lost it on:

Pass Incomplete
    (6:43) (Shotgun) M.Rudolph pass incomplete short left to V.McDonald (M.Tell III).
    3rd & Goal at IND 8

I'm not even always a "throw it for the sticks" kind of person, but McDonald had absolutely no chance to score on that play.

If you're going to make a throw that has 0 chance of scoring on 3rd and goal, at least throw the ball away so there's no chance of a pick / fumble.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really donít remember Duck taking a bunch of shots downfield. I believe he went to JuJu once on the first drive and then it was dunk and dunk until the INT.

I seriously doubt there was more shots downfield. Just played the typical slow starting Chargers team.

but umm... would it really be dumb to point out how Mason has more downfield shots on average if itís true?

Thatís some ďwhy use stats when I can use fantasy as realityĒ logic.
    Last edited by Oh wow; 11-04-2019 at 01:01 PM.