Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mason Rudolph after a few games

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mason Rudolph after a few games

What I have noticed with Mason Rudolph after a few games is he has absolutely zero awareness of things happening behind him. He doesn't have that instinct that all the great ones have of feeling pressure from the back side.

On top of that, he doesn't get rid of the ball nearly quick enough. This is the NFL and receivers aren't going to have 5 yards of space. You got to throw into some tight windows.

He's young and of these two things one is teachable and the other sadly isn't.

We aren't going to get very far with this offense. Fichtner is a friend and confidant of Ben. He has no business being an offensive coordinator for anyone else. When Ben went on IR Fichtner should have been put IR.

Fichtner needs to go watch a bunch of Mason Rudolph college games. See if there's something in there he could steal from, otherwise we're going to need life support just to finish the season.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hatred isn’t a strong enough word for that throw it to the RB/WR 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Stop that sh!t now!!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mason is struggling with accuracy. I think he will gain more confidence if his accuracy improves. He's done some good things as a young QB. Only time and experience is going to tell if Mason will be a career backup or starter.

On another note:
    The Steelers are not a power run blocking Oline. They need to find ways to get better running the ball in short yardage situations.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So I take it you weren’t impressed by his 74% completions today?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

he checks down too much for my liking but I'm starting to believe he is handcuffed by sub par playmakers and inept play calling

I'm not sure what he is or isn't yet but I'm certainly not going to write him off after 5 starts and there are actually things to be encouraged about as he looks poised out there most of the time

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    So I take it you weren’t impressed by his 74% completions today?
    LMAO, I could have passed for 74% with the throws he was making.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    he checks down too much for my liking but I'm starting to believe he is handcuffed by sub par playmakers and inept play calling

I'm not sure what he is or isn't yet but I'm certainly not going to write him off after 5 starts and there are actually things to be encouraged about as he looks poised out there most of the time
    I'm not writing him off, but with the playcalling and apparent coaching he's getting I'm not expecting big things this season. I think you're right with being handcuffed. Turtle ball is in full swing.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, right now MR is Mr. check down Charlie but you’ve gotta think that will change over time.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I'm not writing him off, but with the playcalling and apparent coaching he's getting I'm not expecting big things this season. I think you're right with being handcuffed. Turtle ball is in full swing.
    It's not unreasonable to believe that since Mason is a young and inexperienced QB that the coaches are limited in their approach with him. Everybody will gain more confidence if he plays better. The windows to throw in the NFL are generally tight. He's going to have to make those types of throws consistently if he wants to take another step as a passer.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I think they’ll loosen the reins as MR gets more and more comfortable.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN