Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Week 9: Colts @ Steelers

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Those 20 yards put them in FG range of one of the most accurate kickers of all time.

If they ended up converting on 3rd and short, we lose the game without getting the ball back.

I think the second challenge was OK because if the play stands it dramatically increases the Colts chance of winning.

And the WR definitely pushed the DB in the back.

I get the argument that not challenging PI is smart because it almost never works. I think it would have been reasonable to not throw the flag.

But I think it's unreasonable to paint that decision as terrible given the implications on the game (and the fact that it looked like a penalty occurred).

The first one seemed clearly uncatchable.
    The first one I agree with. The second one was a wasted of a timeout. If he didn't win the first one, he should as hell wasn't going to win the second one that was much less obvious. That was a minor push off that happens every play in the NFL. They weren't going to overturn that. A blind man could see that.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I always preface comments like the ones Iím about to make with Iíve been off Tomlins train for several years now. But when I read all the posts above it seems to me many want it to be an all or nothing argument. In other words tomlin is either a great coach or he totally sucks. But the truth is, heís a really really good coach but (in my opinion) lacks that extra something that makes him top tier. His teams will play hard. They will have spectacular victories. They will be exciting to watch and in a season like this full of injuries, he may well win coach of the year.

But I think his shortcomings will always be there and he has progressed as far as he ever will. The difference between wins and losses in the NFL is so narrow, the truly great ones find a way to be on the side that favors wins. We talk about all three phases needed to win, I add in a HC that can manage the clock in critical situations, knows when to make a challenge, when not too. A HC that will try new things such as using camp to come out sharp in September and not having to dig out of a hole in October.

Itís things like this that add up and have me convinced the Steelers may get lucky with tomlin, but I seriously doubt heís going to win another SB.
    This^^^^^^^^^^
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.

Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the playoffs in the 70ís...
    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008, with Cowher's players & coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The first one I agree with. The second one was a wasted of a timeout. If he didn't win the first one, he should as hell wasn't going to win the second one that was much less obvious. That was a minor push off that happens every play in the NFL. They weren't going to overturn that. A blind man could see that.
    It was a desperate move in a situation that was pretty desperate IMO

If the play stands (which it did), we need some combination of
    1) them not getting another first down
    2) us getting another turnover
    3) them missing the FG
    4) us having a good KO return
    5) us marching down field to get at least a FG with about a minute left (and 2 or fewer TOs)

Except for stopping them from getting another 1st (which we did thanks to Bud), those are all pretty unlikely.

I thought the game was over after that reception and I thought challenging it was a reasonable decision given the fact that we probably lose the game if it stands. Not because we have a good chance of overturning it, but because we're kind of pooched anyway.

Just my opinion though.

I don't think it would have been stupid not to challenge it. But I have little faith in our return game and our O.

Once that catch was made, I think we needed one or more pretty unlikely things to happen. Got lucky that they missed a pretty easy kick in the end.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 11-04-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm with Steelz09 in that I could see Tomlin challenging the first play because of the situation even though there wasn't a chance in hell of them overturning it. Of course that doesn't mean it was interference. The 2nd play he challenged was ridiculous because it is what every good wide receiver does these days in the NFL. No way were they going to make the call for offensive pass interference.

The one call Tomlin could have challenged, but I agree with him for not, was Samuels getting it down to the 6 inch line. We probably would have won that challenge but who can't get 6 inches? The Steelers I guess although I put that all on Samuels. All Samuels had to do was bounce it outside and he could have walked in. If you see the play again look at how pi$$ed DeCastro is that Samuels didn't follow him.

The other thing I really hated was how conservative we went in the 4th quarter. We couldn't run the ball and once they figured Rudolph was only going to throw to Samuels or maybe the TE within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage we were done.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Those 20 yards put them in FG range of one of the most accurate kickers of all time.

If they ended up converting on 3rd and short, we lose the game without getting the ball back.

I think the second challenge was OK because if the play stands it dramatically increases the Colts chance of winning.

And the WR definitely pushed the DB in the back.

I get the argument that not challenging PI is smart because it almost never works. I think it would have been reasonable to not throw the flag.

But I think it's unreasonable to paint that decision as terrible given the implications on the game (and the fact that it looked like a penalty occurred).

The first one seemed clearly uncatchable.
    there's over a minute left, colts had plenty of time to gain that 20 yards needed to get into FG range.

the timeout wasted could have been used to stop the clock after the colts 3 downs before the kick. with 2 TO's left they get the ball back with a minute or so left to try to get into FG range

once again, you people are the only one defending this decision.
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 11-04-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    there's over a minute left, colts had plenty of time to gain that 20 yards needed to get into FG range.

the timeout wasted could have been used to stop the clock after the colts 3 downs before the kick. with 2 TO's left they get the ball back with a minute or so left to try to get into FG range

But at that point Tomlin doesnt know that the defense will stop them after 3 downs. Like I said if they get the first down the timeout is irrelevant. He took a shot to knock them out of field goal range he hadnt challenged the play we woulld of been looking at 1:14 2 timeouts instaed we were looking at 1:14 1 timeout plenty of time in both situations to get in range for a field goal.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post

I'm trying to point out that we were kind of pooched at that point.

It's like the onside kick against the Jags (which I think increased our chances of winning). Sometimes you're in a ****ty situation and the decision you make doesn't actually matter much.

I think it's a case where the challenge might not be the optimum decision, but I think it's reasonable given the play's impact on the game (i.e. it made it almost certain that we'd lose).

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think if someone can look at things objectively, they can't defend that challenge.

Why wouldn't Tomlin have confidence in his D? It's a strong point of the team for once. He had it a couple games ago where where he decided to not take the ball in OT which I still think is retarded.

There was a zero percent chance of winning that challenge. ZERO!

So, would you rather have 1:14 left and 2 timeouts with your inexperienced 2nd year QB to win the game with a FG?

Or.....1 timeout because you wasted it for no reason on a pointless challenge with ZERO chance of winning.

Challenging that play was a form of grasping straws, quiting and having zero confidence in your offense.

I thought it was terrible just like Fichtner's playcalling.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers won the game..... Imagine if they hadn't won the game, how much scrutiny and analysis would be happening.

Double yoi...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The Steelers won the game..... Imagine if they hadn't won the game, how much scrutiny and analysis would be happening.
    Exactly. The coaching at the end of the game was horrendous.

Tomlin and Fichtner should send this week's paycheck to Vinateri.

Again, they win in spite of the coaching staff.... Not because of them.