Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This Guy... Worth a #1 Pick

Legend

User Info Menu

This Guy... Worth a #1 Pick

Against his former team, Minkah Fitzpatrick continues to help Steelers pile up turnovers
    Chris Adamski
    CHRIS ADAMSKI | Tuesday, October 29, 2019 2:30 a.m.
    EMAIL NEWSLETTERS
    TribLIVE's Daily and Weekly email newsletters deliver the news you want and information you need, right to your inbox.

One by one, Minkah Fitzpatrick fielded the questions from reporters from Pittsburgh and South Florida alike. And every time, Fitzpatrick insisted that a big game in a victory against his former team didn’t mean any more than a victory against any other team.

“I think any game if I ever had two ‘picks’ I would have a smile on my face after the game,” Fitzpatrick said after he had two interceptions during a 27-14 Pittsburgh Steelers win against the Miami Dolphins on Monday night. “It is my former team and my former teammates, and I have all the respect in the world for them. But it’s an NFL game — if I had two picks next week or last week, I would still have a smile on my face.”

Fitzpatrick’s fifth game as a Steeler became his third win with them — and this one came against the team that traded him for a first-round pick last month.

This one, like his Steelers debut five weeks before it, also featured two takeaways for Fitzpatrick. The starting free safety had an interception and forced fumble in his Steelers debut Sept. 22 at San Francisco, part of a five-takeaway game that ignited the Steelers defense’s turnover-inducing skills.

“Since he came, that 49ers game, and he’s showed that he’s a guy who can be our deep threat, the last guy, the biggest safety and cause picks,” Steelers receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster said. “He makes turnovers.”

Fitzpatrick, indeed, does. In five games with the Steelers, he has three interceptions, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. More globally — to borrow a Mike Tomlin term — Fitzpatrick’s arrival has coincided with a remarkable turnaround in regards to the Steelers defense and forcing turnovers.

The Steelers have as many takeaways in five games since Fitzpatrick was acquired (17) as they had in their previous 18 games before he joined them.

The Steelers now have as many takeaways in 5 games with Minkah Fitzpatrick than they had in the prior 18 games without him (17)
    The Steelers had 17 takeaways in the 18 games prior to acquiring Minkah Fitzpatrick
    They have 15 takeaways in the 4.5+ games since they got him

“It’s just studying the game and working with my teammates and my coaches, playing fast, and just doing my job,” Fitzpatrick said. “Every single time you see me making plays, that’s me doing my job. It’s being on the details — if it’s a sack or sack-fumble or punching the ball out, a pick, hey, everybody is just doing their job.”

Fitzpatrick seems to be doing it better than most. And arguably he was doing it at his best against the team from which he requested a trade after an 0-2 start in which the tanking Dolphins were using him in ways he preferred not to be deployed.

Fitzpatrick was seen jawing with former teammates at multiple times Monday, but afterward he talked about how much he loved his former teammates and how much respect he had for them.

“Minkah is kind of a flat-liner,” Tomlin said. “I doubt it was anything personal or anything of that nature. He has the same general demeanor just about every weekend. Not that I’ve been around him a bunch of weekends, but he’s been ‘Steady Eddie’ with his approach.”

Fitzpatrick has shown why the Steelers felt comfortable trading their first-round pick for the first time in more than a half century. Monday was the latest proof.

“That dude, he covers the field well, and he shooting up and getting it,” Steelers defensive captain Cameron Heyward said. “He’s been a breath of fresh air since he got here. That kid can play — and he’s going to be a heck of a Steeler from here on out
    https://triblive.com/sports/against-...-up-turnovers/

Starter

User Info Menu

Absolutely worth a 1st rd pick. Dude is awesome. If (and I don't think it will anymore) it ends up being a top 4 or 5 pick, it may be too high for him. But anything after that I would have gladly taken him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    Absolutely worth a 1st rd pick. Dude is awesome. If (and I don't think it will anymore) it ends up being a top 4 or 5 pick, it may be too high for him. But anything after that I would have gladly taken him.
    Let's play the 'what if' / hindsight game. Based on current play, in the year he was drafted, who would you have taken in the top 5 instead of him?:

1. Mayfield
    2. Barkley
    3. Darnold
    4. Ward
    5. Chubb

Based on his play, I say he is better than at least 3 of those picks.

and last draft:

1. Murray
    2. Bosa
    3. Williams
    4. Ferrel
    5. White

he at least beats out White and Ferrel. The point being there is plenty of unknown even in the top 5 picks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Awesome move by the FO.

Legend

User Info Menu

agreed. excellent move

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
    This is how I feel too.

Like Terrapin, I'm also less worried that we'll be in the worst case scenario for this trade now. Although my opinion might change if the D reverts to a sane level of turnovers.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-31-2019 at 06:42 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Let's play the 'what if' / hindsight game. Based on current play, in the year he was drafted, who would you have taken in the top 5 instead of him?:

1. Mayfield
    2. Barkley
    3. Darnold
    4. Ward
    5. Chubb

Based on his play, I say he is better than at least 3 of those picks.

and last draft:

1. Murray
    2. Bosa
    3. Williams
    4. Ferrel
    5. White

he at least beats out White and Ferrel. The point being there is plenty of unknown even in the top 5 picks.
    Minkah looks like a great player at a position of need and he's super cheap for a while because someone else picked up his SB. We also haven't heard the "communication issues" BS since he got here.

At this point, I think the only way it doesn't work out would be missing out on a chance to draft a player that looks like a legit franchise QB.

The results for the players don't look great right now, but I'd be upset if the trade cost us a chance at whoever this year's Mayfield / Darnold would be.

Franchise QBs are just too valuable to not regret a lottery ticket with a fairly high probability of success.

But, I don't think our pick will be top 3 to 5 anymore. Too many teams looking to tank. I'm not sure, but I might bet that two of the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals don't make it to the 3 wins we have now and I don't think any of them get to 5 (and I think 5 is probably our floor without more catastrophic injuries).
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-31-2019 at 06:45 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Minkah looks like a great player at a position of need and he's super cheap for a while because someone else picked up his SB. We also haven't heard the "communication issues" BS since he got here.

At this point, I think the only way it doesn't work out would be missing out on a chance to draft a player that looks like a legit franchise QB.

The results for the players don't look great right now, but I'd be upset if the trade cost us a chance at whoever this year's Mayfield / Darnold would be.

Franchise QBs are just too valuable to not regret a lottery ticket with a fairly high probability of success.

But, I don't think our pick will be top 3 to 5 anymore. Too many teams looking to tank. I'm not sure, but I might bet that two of the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals don't make it to the 3 wins we have now and I don't think any of them get to 5 (and I think 5 is probably our floor without more catastrophic injuries).
    I agree. I have to believe the FO factored in the fact that it is highly unlikely the Steelers would be in the top 5 picks when you look around the league. They certainly aren't playing like they are interested in a high pick.
    And my opinion, I'm not sure there is a can't miss franchise QB in the next draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Minkah = Beast

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I agree. I have to believe the FO factored in the fact that it is highly unlikely the Steelers would be in the top 5 picks when you look around the league. They certainly aren't playing like they are interested in a high pick.
    And my opinion, I'm not sure there is a can't miss franchise QB in the next draft.
    I don't think I appreciated how unique the Minkah trade was when it happened. It was way easier to think about what we were losing. And to overvalued the pick after losing Ben and losing to two strong teams.

Getting a high end player with so long left on his rookie deal when the original team picks up the SB is a huge win.

He'll dramatically outperform his cap number for almost 4 seasons with us.

I think it's also worth noting that the trade we made for Bush also looks like it turned out very well. Two great moves by Colbert and Co. Both also out of character for the Steelers
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-31-2019 at 07:49 AM.