Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: This Guy... Worth a #1 Pick

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I’ll say it again, trading a first round pick for a first round player who’s only played one year and has PROVEN he’s a first round player - may be the smartest no brainer trade there is. With many first round picks turning into busts, this is like being handed the answers to the test before you take it.
    In addition to probably under rating him, I think I undervalued the "only played one year" thing.

I was used to thinking about trades where you're getting someone on the last year of their rookie deal.

I didn't initially see the benefit of trading for a high pick with ~ 4 years left (including the option) where another team already paid a fair amount of the guaranteed bonus money (signing bonus and any 1st year roster bonus).

Not only is he amazing, he's so cheap right now.

Given how he wasn't afraid to stick up for himself in Miami, I do think that he'll push to have his deal re-evaluated as soon as he is able to contractually (we can't pay him more next year even if we wanted to). But if he plays at something close to this level, I think he'll deserve whatever deal he wants.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Based in his actions in Miami, I do worry he will try to force a new contract early.
    I think so too.

But my understanding is that we can't do anything with his contract next year per the CBA. Not sure about year 4.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

saw before the game that our pick (miami's) is now like 15th. with another win may drop into the 20's

which is making the trade even better.

Backup

User Info Menu

He saved Tomlins job!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    saw before the game that our pick (miami's) is now like 15th. with another win may drop into the 20's

which is making the trade even better.
    This link has us at pick 22 because we're currently in position for a WC spot due to tie breakers.
    http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

I think Minkah's pretty much responsible for at least 2 wins this year. If we were at 3 - 6, we'd probably be somewhere in the 6 - 10 range.

Another example of the FO knowing way more than me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    He saved Tomlins job!
    I doubt that but he is definitely making our FO look smart as hell for making this trade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I doubt that but he is definitely making our FO look smart as hell for making this trade.
    Don't forget the Nelson pick up. The Chefs are probably kicking themselves for letting him go, their defense is pathetic and may even prevent them from making the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This link has us at pick 22 because we're currently in position for a WC spot due to tie breakers.
    http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

I think Minkah's pretty much responsible for at least 2 wins this year. If we were at 3 - 6, we'd probably be somewhere in the 6 - 10 range.

Another example of the FO knowing way more than me.
    I was thinking about this and Im sure he saved Tomlin/Colbert, but without him, we might be 1-8 or 2-7 and our first round pick could have been a top 5 pick.

I still think he was worth it and hes a legit 5-10 pick in a draft. Unless we win the SuperBowl as a result of getting Minkah, I think we have to be honest and say we had to give up a pick in the 5-10 range to get him. Maybe even higher.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    The FO is smart and Minkah just reinforces that fact.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I was thinking about this and I’m sure he saved Tomlin/Colbert, but without him, we might be 1-8 or 2-7 and our first round pick could have been a top 5 pick.

I still think he was worth it and he’s a legit 5-10 pick in a draft. Unless we win the SuperBowl as a result of getting Minkah, I think we have to be honest and say we had to give up a pick in the 5-10 range to get him. Maybe even higher.
    Draft picks are over rated when you can pick up a known quantity rather than a gamble.

Pappy

The referee said that you hit Brian Sipe too hard. Did you hit him too hard?
    I hit him as hard as I could - Jack Lambert

1.20 - Devin Bush, ILB, Michigan
    3.66 - Diontae Johnson, WR, Toledo
    3.83 - Justin Layne, CB, MSU
    4.122 - Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky
    5.141 - Zach Gentry, TE, Michigan
    6.175 - Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois
    6.192 - Isaiah Buggs, DE, Alabama
    6.207 - Ulysees Gilbert III, OLB, Akron
    7.219 - Derwin Gray, OL, Maryland