Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This Guy... Worth a #1 Pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Some people are really into the draft so they least believe a draft pick will be the best option.

I will always pick a known quantity over a draft pick, especially if it’s a DB.
    I agree, I'm really into the draft and was considering flying to Las Vegas to attend next year's draft but no FS in the 2020 class is as good as Minkah.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

don't know if he is better but grant delpit from LSU looks like a fantastic player and is likely a top 10 pick or so

but I'm very happy with minkah

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Don't post much these days but I just logged in to talk about this trade because it was on my mind a lot this week.

Basically, I feel like it indicates that the front office believes in Rudolph more than a little bit. With Ben out, conventional wisdom would be that our draft pick was likely to be a top ten. Perhaps even a top five. Looks like the FO was pretty confident Rudolph would bring us in at least close to .500, thus leaving us further down the board. Definitely a great move.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    Don't post much these days but I just logged in to talk about this trade because it was on my mind a lot this week.

Basically, I feel like it indicates that the front office believes in Rudolph more than a little bit. With Ben out, conventional wisdom would be that our draft pick was likely to be a top ten. Perhaps even a top five. Looks like the FO was pretty confident Rudolph would bring us in at least close to .500, thus leaving us further down the board. Definitely a great move.
    I definitely believe that was their thinking .
    From the 2010-2019 season, (An 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. So why delay the inevitable?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post

I agree that the FO was thinking that Rudolph is capable of leading this team this year out of the bottom 5-10 and that he is also worth looking at as the QB of the future. Combine that with the weak QB class this year and the fact that Minkah is the caliber of player and position that they would hope to receive made it a worthy gamble to take.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I agree that the FO was thinking that Rudolph is capable of leading this team this year out of the bottom 5-10 and that he is also worth looking at as the QB of the future. Combine that with the weak QB class this year and the fact that Minkah is the caliber of player and position that they would hope to receive made it a worthy gamble to take.
    I wonder if they would have made the trade if Ben was healthy...although maybe the Fins would have taken a different deal in that case.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    I wonder if they would have made the trade if Ben was healthy...although maybe the Fins would have taken a different deal in that case.
    If Ben was healthy, the discussion of "Top 10 pick" never comes up, even after the slow start. So now we are thinking late teens as a worse case scenario.

Now, imagine the Steelers are on the clock this April and Minkah is somehow available. The guy has a year of NFL film under his belt. Before they choose, the Steelers are told that they can only sign him through 2021 before they lose a year of service before deciding whether or not to give him a fifth year option, but as a tradeoff, his cap hit through 2021 will be about $2.5M a year less than it should be (pro-rated $10M signing bonus).

Would they sign up for that? Easily yes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, I'm really into the draft and was considering flying to Las Vegas to attend next year's draft but no FS in the 2020 class is as good as Minkah.
    I'd imagine that the appeal of going to the draft next year will be lower without a 1st round pick.

Although without a 1st round pick, you'd have more time to do Vegas-y things.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    If Ben was healthy, the discussion of "Top 10 pick" never comes up, even after the slow start. So now we are thinking late teens as a worse case scenario.

Now, imagine the Steelers are on the clock this April and Minkah is somehow available. The guy has a year of NFL film under his belt. Before they choose, the Steelers are told that they can only sign him through 2021 before they lose a year of service before deciding whether or not to give him a fifth year option, but as a tradeoff, his cap hit through 2021 will be about $2.5M a year less than it should be (pro-rated $10M signing bonus).

Would they sign up for that? Easily yes.
    Of course it looks good for us if Ben was healthy! When he was signed, my gut reaction was "this would have made a ton if sense if Ben wasn't hurt, but we might be very bad this year". But I don't know that it makes sense for Miami in that case.

Maybe Ben getting hurt made the deal look valuable to Miami? Because with Ben, I'd agree that it's late teens at worst and probably more likely to be late 20s.

I can't imagine that we were the only people trying to make the trade. And after looking bad in a few games and going to a totally untested QB, maybe Miami was thinking about the possibility of two very high picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    They talked about that in an article. MIA had several suitors for Minkah (don't recall who) but they picked the Steelers offer because without Roethlisberger they felt it was going to be at least a top 10 pick.