Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Perception vs Reality

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Perception vs Reality

    I was doing a little digging when a friend online said Tomlin is notorious for losing to mediocre teams.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ay-calling-nfl

    Check this out. Itís prior to 2018 so the numbers have changed a bit but not drastically.

    74-28
    vs teams that finished the season at or under .500

    21-4
    vs teams when Tomlin was favored by 10 or more points.

    1-6
    Benís record on the west coast. 8 TDís, 13 INTís, 3 Fumbles. We did beat the Chargers with Vick. We also beat them again with Duck this year.. but vs SF we had the usual high turnovers that plagues is on the West Coast vs teams not names the Chargers.

    So maybe we arenít as bad as we believe vs mediocre teams. It just sits in our gut for years when we do.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    I wish you hadn’t posted this. It won’t sit well with the Tomlin haters, who by their very nature, are impulsive, emotional, and suffer from an inferiority complex.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Man, the Tomlin gobblers are gonna be out in full force after reading this.
    Crazy how those guys openly salivate over another man.....
    To each their own.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I was doing a little digging when a friend online said Tomlin is notorious for losing to mediocre teams.

    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ay-calling-nfl

    Check this out. Itís prior to 2018 so the numbers have changed a bit but not drastically.

    74-28
    vs teams that finished the season at or under .500

    21-4
    vs teams when Tomlin was favored by 10 or more points.

    1-6
    Benís record on the west coast. 8 TDís, 13 INTís, 3 Fumbles. We did beat the Chargers with Vick. We also beat them again with Duck this year.. but vs SF we had the usual high turnovers that plagues is on the West Coast vs teams not names the Chargers.

    So maybe we arenít as bad as we believe vs mediocre teams. It just sits in our gut for years when we do.
    Always nice to have data. Wish it was as effective as emotions in forming / changing opinions.

    So, we've recently had people post that:
    1) Tomlin has one of the best winning percentages against teams with records above 500 (52% IIRC?); and now
    2) Tomlin has an excellent winning percentage against teams with records below 500 (~73% from this article).

    He must really, really suck against teams with records of exactly 500 to have earned so much animosity, right?

    It's almost like humans are genetically hard coded to dislike losses more than they like wins.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_a...20find%20%245.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    When we go more than a decade without a ring, perception is rarely going to match reality. Stillernation is starving for another championship. And when we have to sit back and watch the cheating organziation make it look as easy as pie year after year, perception gets even more clouded.

    Until we win another Super Bowl, expect plenty of clouded criticisms of the team and everyone in charge of it.

    I always think back to the pre-Tomlin days. Message boards were calling for Cowher's head just like we see now with Tomlin. Until the ring came and then he left. Now most everyone regards Cowher as one of the best Steelers coaches ever.

    It doesn't matter what stats or facts are presented, until we get to another championship, Stillernation will remain restless.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Yup, win something other than regular season games.
    Win something with players you drafted and developed. Win something with coaches you hired.
    Fans that want championships don't really give a rats ass that we've only had 3 coaches
    Make it as far as the team talent says you should and Tomlin haters just might give him some credit.
    Until then, his post season accomplishments are not because of him.

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    When we go more than a decade without a ring, perception is rarely going to match reality. Stillernation is starving for another championship. And when we have to sit back and watch the cheating organziation make it look as easy as pie year after year, perception gets even more clouded.

    Until we win another Super Bowl, expect plenty of clouded criticisms of the team and everyone in charge of it.

    I always think back to the pre-Tomlin days. Message boards were calling for Cowher's head just like we see now with Tomlin. Until the ring came and then he left. Now most everyone regards Cowher as one of the best Steelers coaches ever.

    It doesn't matter what stats or facts are presented, until we get to another championship, Stillernation will remain restless.
    Yep, and message boards (or neural links) of the future will lament not having Tomlin / Ben level consistent performance when they're both gone.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    When we go more than a decade without a ring, perception is rarely going to match reality. Stillernation is starving for another championship. And when we have to sit back and watch the cheating organziation make it look as easy as pie year after year, perception gets even more clouded.

    Until we win another Super Bowl, expect plenty of clouded criticisms of the team and everyone in charge of it.

    I always think back to the pre-Tomlin days. Message boards were calling for Cowher's head just like we see now with Tomlin. Until the ring came and then he left. Now most everyone regards Cowher as one of the best Steelers coaches ever.

    It doesn't matter what stats or facts are presented, until we get to another championship, Stillernation will remain restless.
    Definitely.. I just think the losses to bad teams gets blown out of proportion.

  9. #9
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Yep, and message boards (or neural links) of the future will lament not having Tomlin / Ben level consistent performance when they're both gone.
    I think it’s a bad idea to watch and demand a SB or it’s “we suck”

    The Ricky Bobby thing cant be enjoyable. Might as well wait until the playoffs to tune in. Its what I do for basketball since I don’t really have a team I follow.

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Man, the Tomlin gobblers are gonna be out in full force after reading this.
    Crazy how those guys openly salivate over another man.....
    To each their own.
    Just curious, how many SBs must a coach win before you would label him 'great'?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •