Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 160

Thread: Broker Some Peace..Captain Lemming, Pitpete, Ikestops85..help me.

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Broker Some Peace..Captain Lemming, Pitpete, Ikestops85..help me.

    I just think this board has degenerated down to a point that a lot of posters don't find this a good place to come. With that said, I want input from all the regular guys ( Ow Wow, Captain Lemming, Northern_Blitz, Pitpete, Ikestops85, etc.etc.) on what we can do to stop the venom going back and forth from the Tomlin believers and the Tomlin non-believers.

    Each side isn't going to change the opinion on the other side. So, can't each side just say what they wish and all parties respect each others opinions? After all, time bears witness and determines the final decisions on all things.

    Isn't there some way all the adults just agree to disagree but respect the others opinion?
    Is what I'm proposing too much? Is it possible?

    This is the only Steeler poster room that I go to that has such disdain in it. All the others are civil; sure people disagree but no one takes things personal like this poster room does.

    I very much want to hear your input in hopes to reach an agreement of civility and accord. I"m trying to extend an olive branch; meet me half way please.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I just think this board has degenerated down to a point that a lot of posters don't find this a good place to come. With that said, I want input from all the regular guys ( Ow Wow, Captain Lemming, Northern_Blitz, Pitpete, Ikestops85, etc.etc.) on what we can do to stop the venom going back and forth from the Tomlin believers and the Tomlin non-believers.

    Each side isn't going to change the opinion on the other side. So, can't each side just say what they wish and all parties respect each others opinions? After all, time bears witness and determines the final decisions on all things.

    Isn't there some way all the adults just agree to disagree but respect the others opinion?
    Is what I'm proposing too much? Is it possible?

    This is the only Steeler poster room that I go to that has such disdain in it. All the others are civil; sure people disagree but no one takes things personal like this poster room does.

    I very much want to hear your input in hopes to reach an agreement of civility and accord. I"m trying to extend an olive branch; meet me half way please.
    Here's four thinks I think would be helpful. I think they all fit under the broad category of "try to be intellectually honest":

    - If you post something about what someone else said and you get called out for it being a dishonest interpretation (or misrepresentation), provide a link showing proof or modify your original post to admit that you were wrong about what they said.

    - Be honest about what is an opinion vs. what is a fact. No prediction of a future outcome is a fact.

    - When proof is shown that something you said was a fact (not an opinion) was incorrect, be big enough to say that you were wrong.

    - Try to argue with what someone is actually saying instead of a strawman version of their argument.
    (What is a Strawman argument? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man)
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-28-2019 at 04:03 PM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  3. #3
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    how about not mentioning another poster's name in a negative way in all posts made?

    let's stop making things personal and go back to cheering on our beloved Pittsburgh Steelers...

  4. #4
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    There’s a couple of posters on here who are not genuine Steelers fans and are here simply to stir the pot. You can tell by their responses that they aren’t part of the Steelers brotherhood.

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    There’s a couple of posters on here who are not genuine Steelers fans and are here simply to stir the pot. You can tell by their responses that they aren’t part of the Steelers brotherhood.
    Maybe no ****posting?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****posting

    Note that you'll need to add the correct 4 letter word that begins with "sh" to the link above for it to work.

    And maybe also: no responding to ****posting
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    There’s a couple of posters on here who are not genuine Steelers fans and are here simply to stir the pot. You can tell by their responses that they aren’t part of the Steelers brotherhood.
    Everyone here is a Steeler fan. Just because they aren't your kind of fan doesn't make them any less of one.
    That attitude (and I'm including myself) is a big part of the arguing.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    There’s a couple of posters on here who are not genuine Steelers fans and are here simply to stir the pot. You can tell by their responses that they aren’t part of the Steelers brotherhood.
    wooaaaw..that's a real accusation right there. I can't go that far. I think we must assume that everyone here (other then tip roast who is a Pats fan) is a Steeler fan.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Here's four thinks I think would be helpful. I think they all fit under the broad category of "try to be intellectually honest":

    - If you post something about what someone else said and you get called out for it being a dishonest interpretation (or misrepresentation), provide a link showing proof or modify your original post to admit that you were wrong about what they said.

    - Be honest about what is an opinion vs. what is a fact. No prediction of a future outcome is a fact.

    - When proof is shown that something you said was a fact (not an opinion) was incorrect, be big enough to say that you were wrong.

    - Try to argue with what someone is actually saying instead of a strawman version of their argument.
    (What is a Strawman argument? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man)
    North....

    I'm going to answer this one. And please listen with a thoughtful ear...and I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I want you to hear this in your head the way that I'm intending this to come out.....

    **In regards to Ruth, I don't bookmark everything, everyone says. At least I didn't back then. And I shouldn't have to do it anyway. I"m not capable of going back through (nor do I have the time to) thread after thread after thread of what Ruth said. I did not make up what I said that he said.

    **I"m not going to insult anyone's intelligence on explaining the difference of an opinion from a fact. Everyone knows the difference..including me.

    ** In regards to being wrong, I've often admitted if I were wrong (if I'm wrong) and I"ve had my opinion on something changed from time to time. I've given Cap props a few times on changing my thoughts on something.

    ** in regards to strawman arguments, I"m sorry but I don't relate to that at all. I never, ever think to put things in those terms. I think what you PERCIEVE as strawman , could they possibly be arguments you don't like because you don't want to be wrong on something? Is that possible? Kinda like the point you were trying to make about me? Something to think about.

    I hope these answers are to your satisfaction. They are honest and the best answers I can give you. Peace.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    But what's it going to take for both sides to allow the other side just to have their take and let it be? That's what I want to know.

    Can we come up with some grounds of civility that everyone can abide by? Shouldn't have to matter weather you agree with someone or not.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Maybe no ****posting?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****posting

    Note that you'll need to add the correct 4 letter word that begins with "sh" to the link above for it to work.

    And maybe also: no responding to ****posting
    Hey, I"m kinda cloudy on exactly what is s**t posting. Give me an example of what you perceive as that. Just so I can be on the same page as you.
    From the 2010-2019 season, (A 9 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks.
    Dolphin fans in the 90ís who wanted to hold on to Don Shula for what he did in the 70ís...

    Are the same as Steeler fans (of 2020 ) holding on to Tomlin for what he did in 2008.

    [url]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/50121-A-Positive-View-of-they-Draft/page17[/url]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •