Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Gameplanning for the Opponent

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Gameplanning for the Opponent

    Anyone catch the Will Cane show on ESPN radio this afternoon? Interviewing T Hasselbeck and discussion came around to gameplanning. Some very interesting comments from Hasselbeck which I paraphrase:

    In a given week, what is the typical amount of new plays inserted for an opponent?: "probably not more than 20%, and less than 10% would be new new plays, meaning plays never before used in the season"

    What is the maximum amount of changed plays for an opponent in a given week? "probably not more than 50%"

    Of course, NE is the benchmark for gameplanning for an opponent but I didn't catch what he had to say about them.

    Guess I am a little surprise by these comments because I really didn't have a sense of how much gameplanning really occurs vs a team "doing what they do".

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Time is limited for coaches and players. A limited amount of time to watch film, game plan, and practice what players do well.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    What I wanna know is - do (or why don't they) teams having an internal scouting dept. that scouts themselves??
    I would!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    I would think they at least would have analytics on their tendencies but I doubt they scout themselves. It does sound like a good idea to me if they don't.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

    but Go Steelers!!!

  5. #5
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Time is limited for coaches and players. A limited amount of time to watch film, game plan, and practice what players do well.
    Doesn't seem to bother Hoody. They played last nite on Monday nite and have to turn right around and get ready for the Browns.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

    My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

    FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Doesn't seem to bother Hoody. They played last nite on Monday nite and have to turn right around and get ready for the Browns.
    We don't even know the approach any teams take because we are not privy to that information. Whatever the approach players need to execute on the plan and what they practice.

    The Pats approach hasn't always worked out well. They've also been fortunate and lucky over the years.

    They also have a QB that's gotten the team out of plenty of jams with his ability to execute when that team needed it.

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    We don't even know the approach any teams take because we are not privy to that information. Whatever the approach players need to execute on the plan and what they practice.

    The Pats approach hasn't always worked out well. They've also been fortunate and lucky over the years.

    They also have a QB that's gotten the team out of plenty of jams with his ability to execute when that team needed it.
    It's the unanswerable question, is it the coach or the QB? Their histories are permanently linked so the world may never know.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Anyone catch the Will Cane show on ESPN radio this afternoon? Interviewing T Hasselbeck and discussion came around to gameplanning. Some very interesting comments from Hasselbeck which I paraphrase:

    In a given week, what is the typical amount of new plays inserted for an opponent?: "probably not more than 20%, and less than 10% would be new new plays, meaning plays never before used in the season"

    What is the maximum amount of changed plays for an opponent in a given week? "probably not more than 50%"

    Of course, NE is the benchmark for gameplanning for an opponent but I didn't catch what he had to say about them.

    Guess I am a little surprise by these comments because I really didn't have a sense of how much gameplanning really occurs vs a team "doing what they do".
    I think this makes sense (although I don't know if I would have guessed it's that low).

    I guess making the play book is about designing a variety of schemes that fit a variety of situations.

    Then, "game planning" is maybe more about prioritizing which plays in the playbook should work better against a specific opponent?

    Given our history with "communication issues" on D, it seems like putting in lots of new plays every week wouldn't work that well.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    I think it is less about gameplanning because your playbook is your playbook and you will stick to it 80% of the time as pointed out.

    The difference maker is what you call when and whether you can exploit match up advanatages

  10. #10
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Minkah on #Steelers defense: “We’re still keeping it simple, doing what we do, doing it well, doing it fast and executing. That’s the thing I like about here — we run what we run and we run it well. We don’t try to do too much, we don’t try to change it up too much week to week."
    .... interesting observation from a recent acquisition...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •