Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the New NFL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Really? So Colbert has missed on every secondary player over the last 12 years? Naaaaw. I can't buy that.
    He hasn’t missed on every secondary pick but definitely more than he has hit on.

and that is probably par the course for that position.

Someone posted stats on picks by round and their fate. It’s high as hell after the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Really? So Colbert has missed on every secondary player over the last 12 years? Naaaaw. I can't buy that.
    He has either missed, or the coaches canít coach them up.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Starter

User Info Menu

In general, your exactly right. But I see why we did what we did for minka; you need established players in that secondary because our team can't develop them.
    True, but this was a really rare situation. It's not like you can build a team waiting for this to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The NFL isn't a developmental league, what team out there is saying we can just draft secondary players late and develop them? The Answer is nobody which is why everyone is giving up 1st round picks when an established secondary player becomes available.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    The NFL isn't a developmental league, what team out there is saying we can just draft secondary players late and develop them? The Answer is nobody which is why everyone is giving up 1st round picks when an established secondary player becomes available.
    How many teams have done this?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    He has either missed, or the coaches can’t coach them up.
    I think it's more like expectations are that most players don't see a second contract. And even fewer see a third. I thought someone recently posted a link that showed something like 50% (?) of 1st round picks don't get a 2nd contract.

Whatever the number for 1st rounders is, I bet it falls fast the deeper into the draft you get.

Scouting is hard and the expected result is failure...especially for guys who aren't drafted early.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How many 2ndary players that the Steelers drafted went on to have pro bowl careers with other teams?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    How many teams have done this?
    Not that many because really good secondary players don't tend to be traded all that often, but you saw two teams do it this season. So how many teams have great secondaries built through the draft, hell how many teams have great secondaries period? This is the point, secondary talent is scarce, if you could just coach guys into being good at this level every team would be doing it.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Burns was a bad pick. I think the majority of our DB picks are so late they rarely turn into dependable DBís.

But this isnít just a Steeler problem. Unless you pick a first round DB at the top of the draft the chances of them panning out are slim.
    Totally false

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    He has either missed, or the coaches can’t coach them up.
    Evidence it's the player and the coach; the Steelers have had multiple secondary coaches in that time frame. Hard to imagine every one of those guys was bad at coaching. #2) the number of failed players that went elsewhere and were successful = 0. Again, hard to imagine every team has failed secondary coaches.