Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Munchak

  1. #1
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Munchak

    Watching game in DEN, his OL is a major fail. Where's the Munchak Midas touch?

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    it took him a few years with ours. i'd say 6 games isn't enough.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Coaches need good enough players to be successful.

  4. #4
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Coaches need good enough players to be successful.
    this is a $$$$ post

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Give him a couple of years, he'll have that Denver OL performing at top level.

  6. #6
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Give him some talent

  7. #7
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Coaches need good enough players to be successful.
    This is the truth.

    Our YPC was also bad with Conner + Munchak and with Bell + Munchak.

    I sometimes wonder about O-Line evaluation. I doubt probowl and all pro elections for OL are made based on evaluation of play because OL play is harder to evaluate (and I think sports writers prefer lazy narratives to in depth evaluation). I wonder if OL coaching is evaluated the same way.

    Russ Grimm was a HoF player. So, he was touted as being a great OL coach.
    Munchak is also a HoF player and is touted as being a great OL coach.

    Maybe our OL coach was good (particularly at pass pro) because we had lots of talent on our line and the coaching was secondary. Or maybe we looked like a good run blocking OL because Bell got so many touches (even though our YPC was low).

    I can't evaluate line play though, so it's all just speculation.
    Last edited by Northern_Blitz; 10-18-2019 at 05:28 AM.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is the truth.

    Our YPC was also bad with Conner + Munchak and with Bell + Munchak.

    I sometimes wonder about O-Line evaluation. I doubt probowl and all pro elections for OL are made based on evaluation of play because OL play is harder to evaluate (and I think sports writers prefer lazy narratives to in depth evaluation). I wonder if OL coaching is evaluated the same way.

    Russ Grimm was a HoF player. So, he was touted as being a great OL coach.
    Munchak is also a HoF player and is touted as being a great OL coach.

    Maybe our OL coach was good (particularly at pass pro) because we had lots of talent on our line and the coaching was secondary. Or maybe we looked like a good run blocking OL because Bell got so many touches (even though our YPC was low).

    I can't evaluate line play though, so it's all just speculation.
    Kinda like the secondary play?!? Get a few talented guys back there and all of a sudden Austin is doing a fantastic job.

    ..... it's not all about coaching sometimes.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Watching game in DEN, his OL is a major fail. Where's the Munchak Midas touch?
    They needed to add a talent upgrade as well. Good coaching is great but you want to have some talent there too. It's a marriage to a certain degree. You need both; but a successful O-line can't have one without the other.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

    My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

    FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    They needed to add a talent upgrade as well. Good coaching is great but you want to have some talent there too. It's a marriage to a certain degree. You need both; but a successful O-line can't have one without the other.
    Both are certainly important. Even if we disagree about which is more important.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

    Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

    Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

    Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

    Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •