Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teryl Austin

Starter

User Info Menu

Teryl Austin

Not bragging ( yes I am ) I told y'all this guy would be a great addition...Have know him since high school and has that secondary playing lights out, flying to the ball, DEFENDING the pass, and causing turnovers...Something Popcorn hasn't been able to do with his defenseive expertise, specializing in the secondary

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Not bragging ( yes I am ) I told y'all this guy would be a great addition...Have know him since high school and has that secondary playing lights out, flying to the ball, DEFENDING the pass, and causing turnovers...Something Popcorn hasn't been able to do with his defenseive expertise, specializing in the secondary
    Not the HC's job to coach DBs. Give credit to him for finding the right assistant. It took a couple of tries but he got what he was looking for. (Also got the talent now)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Talent is needed to play great defense.

We finally made real moves to upgrade the secondary and we are seeing the results.

Weird how some people think Tomlin doesn’t have any impact on the defense now that it’s playing well.

I’m just glad the DO figured out you can’t draft DB’s late or take projects and spend years coaching them up.

Just get proven talent in trades and FA for the secondary.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Disco1981 View Post
    Sounds like bragging

Seriously I have said for a couple of season that Bradley was the problem. I also think Lake was over his head

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not the HC's job to coach DBs. Give credit to him for finding the right assistant. It took a couple of tries but he got what he was looking for. (Also got the talent now)
    Tomlin didn't hire him. He was brought in by the Rooney's to help Tomlin with challenges and coach dbs.
    He's doing a good job with that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Talent is needed to play great defense.

We finally made real moves to upgrade the secondary and we are seeing the results.

Weird how some people think Tomlin doesnít have any impact on the defense now that itís playing well.

Iím just glad the DO figured out you canít draft DBís late or take projects and spend years coaching them up.

Just get proven talent in trades and FA for the secondary.
    I agree, I believe the additions of Nelson and especially Fitzpatrick had more to do with the improvement of our secondary than anything Austin did.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Tomlin didn't hire him. He was brought in by the Rooney's to help Tomlin with challenges and coach dbs.
    He's doing a good job with that.
    I could be wrong, but I thought he was brought in by Tomlin to serve as DBs coach / assistant DC.

Then after the hire, there was apparent pressure to get help with challenges and time out and those things were added to his duties.

I don't think it's true that he was "brought in by the Rooney's to help Tomlin with challenges..."
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I agree, I believe the additions of Nelson and especially Fitzpatrick had more to do with the improvement of our secondary than anything Austin did.
    Its awesome when you have enough talent to basically say “cover your man and play the ball in the air”

Before we had scrubs so it was “tackle the catch, don’t get beat deep”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    100% agree also adding Bush in tje middle.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It’s like saying the former head coach of the NBA Raptors couldn’t get it done but the new coach was the difference.

... when in reality they got Kawhi Leonard.

It saying the guy can’t coach but you give anyone tje DB job while adding Nelson and Minkah, Bush, Tuitt(healthy before the injury) and a motivated Dupree and you will see a vast improvement on defense.