Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Montcrief

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Montcrief

Not really much to write home about here, but made a pretty good catch for 11 yards and a 1st down (on 2 targets).

Nice to see him not have a critical drop that turned into a turnover.

Hope we can get something out of him before dropping him to preserve the comp pick.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He'll probably show just enough that we keep him and lose out on the comp pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    He'll probably show just enough that we keep him and lose out on the comp pick.
    anyone know the particulars on this comp pick?
    i know the league hasn't announced the formula, but, based on speculation at this point...

does it go from a 3rd to a 4th? it's not totally losing a comp pick, right? it's just adjusting the value of the one
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    anyone know the particulars on this comp pick?
    i know the league hasn't announced the formula, but, based on speculation at this point...

does it go from a 3rd to a 4th? it's not totally losing a comp pick, right? it's just adjusting the value of the one
    My understanding of the comp calculations are something like this:
    Step 1: Count the number of eligible UFAs you lost and gained.
    Step 2: If you end up with more eligible UFAs lost, award comp picks (mostly based on salary from the old blog posts by Adam something).

I think if we keep Montcrief past the deadline (week 10?), then our result from Step 1 goes to "net loss of 0" and we don't get a comp pick.

If we cut Montcrief before the deadline, then our result from Step 1 is "net loss of 1". Since Bell signed a big contract, we'd probably get a high pick.

I think we'll basically cut Montcrief...almost no matter what. It's likely we'll be out of playoff contention by week 10 (if we're not already). So, there's no point in holding on to him for this season. Let the young guys play, or sign someone off the waver wire to get his 2 targets or whatever.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Have to believe the finger injury was much worse than reported. I figure either Moncrief downplayed the significance (all players want to get on the field) or the coaches pushed him to get out there because they thought he was the best option after Ju Ju. With another 2 weeks to heal I'd like to see what he can do. Don't think he just suddenly forgot how to catch a football.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ghost, don’t be talkin’ sense. The motto here is “Kick ‘em when they’re down.”

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Given our injuries I think it might be wise to keep Moncreif.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Have to believe the finger injury was much worse than reported. I figure either Moncrief downplayed the significance (all players want to get on the field) or the coaches pushed him to get out there because they thought he was the best option after Ju Ju. With another 2 weeks to heal I'd like to see what he can do. Don't think he just suddenly forgot how to catch a football.
    I think you're right. He's demonstrated through his career that he's an average WR.

But, I also think I'd rather have a 3rd round pick. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if Ben didn't get hurt and we had a competitive team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    Given our injuries I think it might be wise to keep Moncreif.
    I get the value that he provides the team right now. Mason needs somebody to throw to and Moncrief might be the 3rd best healthy WR at the moment. But when James Washington comes back, I think you have to let Moncrief go. He's simply not worth a 3rd or even a 4th round comp pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I get the value that he provides the team right now. Mason needs somebody to throw to and Moncrief might be the 3rd best healthy WR at the moment. But when James Washington comes back, I think you have to let Moncrief go. He's simply not worth a 3rd or even a 4th round comp pick.
    And we don't really throw to WRs much this year.

Moncrief had 2 targets last game (although part of that was probably about getting a big lead early).