Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masson vs duck

Backup

User Info Menu

Masson vs duck

I am thrilled for Hodges and the Steelers after last nights win but I'm surprised so many are calling for Hodges to start over Masson next game. Hodges did what was asked and anytime he tried to do more it was a failure. I believe he threw past the 10 yard line 3 times. 1 completing that the wide out dived for, 1 incomplete, 1 INT. The dude can't throw down field. Masson has a great deep ball and he's pocket awareness is great. Masson goes thru his progressions and checks down when needed. Mason is our future if we can keep him and Ben for 2 more years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Damn it!! I was afraid someone was going to start a thread like this.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hodges is a great story and all but he’s like a dwarf out there compared to Ben and Mason Rudolph. Besides that, his arm strength is really not impressive at all. Hodges is a nice third stringer/practice squad player but certainly not a franchise QB by any means.
    Last edited by The Man of Steel; 10-14-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I thought Duck played great. Besides JuJu he didn’t have much to throw to but he was great at managing the game.

We also had a 98 yard drive that ate a ton of clock to start the second half.

I don’t even put the blame on Duck for the INT. Holton was bullied and didn’t fight for the ball.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I don’t even put the blame on Duck for the INT. Holton was bullied and didn’t fight for the ball.
    I don’t put the Int on Duck either because I don’t think he called the play. The Steelers had a 1st and 10 at the 50 yard line with a 21 point 4th quarter lead so there was no reason to be even throwing the football in that situation.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    Damn it!! I was afraid someone was going to start a thread like this.

LOl, I could not help myself. It's a worthy post.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    Hodges is a great story and all but he’s like a dwarf out there compared to Ben and Mason Rudolph. Besides that, his arm strength is really not impressive at all. Hodges is a nice third stringer/practice squad player but certainly not a franchise QB by any means.
    Pretty much my thoughts at this point - He reminds me a little of Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KYPITTFAN View Post
    The dude can't throw down field.
    Can't? Or didn't?

I think the latter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Man of Steel View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people had similar thoughts about Drew Brees and Doug Flutie at one time. Duck is taller than both of them. He's taller than Russell Wilson.

His arm strength looked OK to me. Love his confidence. He may never be a Drew Brees, but he has impressed the Steelers enough over the summer to make the team ahead of Dobbs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oh wow View Post
    I thought Duck played great. Besides JuJu he didn’t have much to throw to but he was great at managing the game.

We also had a 98 yard drive that ate a ton of clock to start the second half.

I think it's a mixed bag. Like the swagger, managed the game well.

On the deep stuff, I found him to o be reckless. Could Holton have fought harder? Perhaps.

But you don't want to rely on an unproven backup to battle to prevent picks. Should have never been thrown. Ditto with the other deep incompletion.