Thread: Fred Johnson, Jay Elliott waived; Paxton Lynch expected promotion

Legend

User Info Menu

Fred Johnson, Jay Elliott waived; Paxton Lynch expected promotion

Steelers’ Fred Johnson, Jay Elliott told they’ve been waived; Paxton Lynch expected promotion

CHRIS ADAMSKI | Friday, October 11, 2019

Fred Johnson, No. 74, congratuates Pittsburgh Steelers teammate James Washington after a touchdown reception against the Tennessee Titans during the first half of a preseason game last month in Nashville. Johnson was told he is waived.

Rookie guard Fred Johnson and journeyman outside linebacker Jayrone Elliott were told by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Friday afternoon that they are being put on waivers. They were told that a running back and quarterback will replace them on the 53-man active roster; Trey Edmunds and Paxton Lynch are expected to be promoted from the practice squad.

Johnson was impressive in training camp as a mammoth undrafted rookie from Florida, and he is seen as a player with potential to be a future starter.

Elliott was signed in late August but was cut before the regular season began despite a strip sack and fumble return for a touchdown during the preseason finale at Carolina. But after the Steelers lost edge rusher Tuzar Skipper on waivers, they signed Elliott after Week 1.

“I think the guys are making it harder for me than it really is,” Elliott said as he packed up some belongings after practice Friday. “But I’m thankful for the opportunity.

“And from the response I’m getting upstairs (in the front office), they really seem like they’re serious about bringing me back. But this game moves so fast.”

Johnson also was told that the Steelers would bring him back if he cleared waivers.

“You don’t go into this business thinking that you are safe,” the 6-7, 326-pound Johnson said. “You feel me? You don’t (look at it like), ‘OK, ‘He told me that I am on waivers.’ If I look at it like, ‘I am getting cut, I (stink),’ that’s (different).

“I was undrafted. You are not gonna keep an undrafted dude when you need other people. Even though I could be starting somewhere. You’re not gonna keep an undrafted dude, so that’s what you do – you put him on waivers and hope that he clears. If he don’t clear, it’s better for him.

“I never look at the pot (half) empty; that (crap) is half full. So I got put on waivers. I could have been here playing (merely) being a backup for three, four more years, however long. So, you just understand the business. They need a quarterback, they need a running back. That stuff happens.”

That running back is expected to be Edmunds, who has spent most of the past year-plus on the Steelers practice squad, though he did appear in four late-season 2018 games. When this summer’s training camp shook out, Edmunds was No. 4 on the Steelers’ running backs depth chart behind James Conner, Jaylen Samuels and rookie Benny Snell.

But Samuels had a procedure performed on a knee Monday and will be out about a month, so the Steelers needed a running back.

They also apparently want more comfort at quarterback, with Mason Rudolph having spent the week in concussion protocol. Devlin Hodges is expected to start Sunday, so bumping up former first-round pick Lynch from the practice squad adds depth and insurance.

Lynch, 25, started two games during each of his two seasons with the Denver Broncos after being drafted No. 26 overall in 2016. He was cut at the end of last year’s training camp and spent this past offseason with the Seattle Seahawks. After being among their final roster cuts, the Steelers added him to their practice squad Sept. 19.

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers...ted-promotion/

Starter

User Info Menu

The Johnson move concerns me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    It would be better to be able to keep him (I expect he'll get PS if he makes it through waivers).

We're in a tough spot with all the injuries.
    Talent vs coaching: [url]www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/48851-Poll-Question-for-Everyone/page14[/url]

Steelers vs. Other Teams with good QBs: ... /47985-Steelers-most-successful-failure/page5

Tomlin playoff record vs. expectations (Cowher pg24): ... /48742-Rooney-Brown-meeting/page22

Tomlin's Las year: ... 49599-Just-sayin?p=778284#post778284

Maniac Talent>Coaching: ...49632-Trades?p=779158#post779158

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    According to Jim Wexell, they kept him over Skipper earlier this year because they were afraid the Browns would grab him. He has some potential, but with the injuries, I'm not sure there were other options.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is really a difficult year. Just all the way around.
    From the 2010-2018 season, (An 8 year period that the majority of Cowher's players & coaches had left) Mike Tomlin has only won 3 playoff games. And two of those wins were against back up Quarterbacks. Our history has been defined by what we do in the postseason; not the regular season.

My official proclamation: WE WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER SUPER BOWL WITH MIKE TOMLIN AS OUR HEAD COACH. SO WHY DELAY THE INEVITABLE?

FIRE MIKE TOMLIN